Page 1 of 2
This is potentially a really stupid idea for a thread, but oh well.

How do you go about tuning your instrument? Or rather, how many ways can you? After playing for about 5 years, I know what an open strum sounds like (EADGBE), although sometimes I'll play a fifth chord on each string if I'm off (easier than doing the fifth fret thing for me). I've seen people do this to perfect pitch and it kind of blows my mind. I suppose if you've been playing for long enough this makes sense, but for now I ballpark it.

inb4 "I use a tuner" and "with the tuning pegs, one string at a time"
I usually tune the low E by ear (incorrectly) and then use a combination of natural harmonics and tuning in fourths to get the rest of the strings. Except the B string, because he's a dick.
No matter what type of guitar I'm playing, I HAVE to drop the low E string...then I go from there
CoB>FoB
"I am just a man, with a heart and sinful hands"

Gear:
Washburn Idol WI68
Washburn x-series floyd rose
Full stack Laney
other shitty amps/pedals/guitars
M-audio Interface
I use a tuner, or another instrument to get an E, then I tune by fifths, except the B string.
BLANKBLANK
With a tuner, because human ears aren't perfect.
Check out my band Disturbed
I tie knots on the strings until they're at the right pitch.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
With a lot of frustration.

Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
*randomly turns tuning keys"

"That's good enough"
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by mrcrono
It's kinda stupid but I usually tune the low E first and I test it by playing the riff to Guerrilla Radio. Then I just do the fifth-fret deal. That or I use my tuner.

Haha that's awesome.

Sure, human ears aren't perfect, but sometimes they're good enough.

If I'm recording something, I'll use a tuner of course.
6 string sweeps.

that is all.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Tuner... I actually do it kinda weird. I start with the low E, then high, E, A, B, D, G. Then start back at the high E and descend to check if they are all intune.
Quote by Demonhunter04
You are my hero nodurquack.
Quote by benjy118
With a lot of frustration.

FR

I feel ya there. I'm in the same boat.
Huh, I turn the peg thingies till the guitar makes a cool sound, oh wait, until I break all my strings and warp my neck actually. On a serious note I usually tune with harmonics (I play bass and guitar) or tuner... or I just don't tune... I don't tune until I hear it sounds out of tune which means its probably more than a semitone off.
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
By tuner if on stage or with other musicians around. If not, even tempered by tuning to find the middle ground so that the 4ths and 5ths between each string are equally in/out of tune. It's as close as you can get to perfect, but only worth it if you have a few extra seconds to tune.
Tuner or the E-5, A-5, D-5, G-5, B-4 fret method.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
My Line 6 kicks ass and has a tuner built in!!!!!!!!!!

ok.. maybe it doesn't kick ass but you get the idea.
2009 Ibanez RG3EXFM1
2003 Ibanez RG220B
Line 6 Spider III 75
Does anybody remember that thread by Airship or someone like that where they thought they'd discovered a well kept secret about the 5th string thing? That thread was hilarious.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

If it's a quick tune just so I can play around with it while doing something else, then the fifth fret method. Or if one string is slightly off, I'll do that too. If I'm doing a proper tune, I use a tuner.
perfect pitch, mother****ers

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Quote by -Mantra-
I usually turn the pegs so that they face the same direction

That's how I restring my guitar. I make sure all the pegs and holes face the same direction, but they never end up that way.
Quote by Trowzaa
Does anybody remember that thread by Airship or someone like that where they thought they'd discovered a well kept secret about the 5th string thing? That thread was hilarious.

I remember. It was up there with whammying without a whammy bar.
...you're supposed to tune it?....
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Plug bass into tuner
Strum
Turn key
Strum
Fine tune
Strum
Got it

Next string
Strum
Turn key
Strum
Fine tune
Strum
Got it

Next string
Strum
Turn key
Strum
Fine tune
Strum
Got it

Next string
Strum
Turn key
Strum
Fine tune
Strum
Got it

Play
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
a lot of times i get the low E by ear when switching from Drop D. and just hit a E5 chord to make sure. or hit a low D5 when switching TO Drop D. For everything else I use a tuner. My ear is not that good
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
With a tuner when I can. If I don't have it or can't be assed to use it I ballpark the low E then use harmonics for the adg then 4th fret g for b then harmonic for high e.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Tune the low E, then go by octaves except for G and use the normal method of tuning. If it takes 5 or more minutes, I say "**** it" and use a tuner or YouTube. A way to check if I'm in tune if if I play a song in whatever tune it's at, and I double check with the aforementioned methods.

Quote by angusfan16
No idea. I play bass.

i c wut u did thar
Page 1 of 2