Hi, don't post here often but I'm looking for some advice!

I have a Line 6 Spider Jam (basically a 75-watt Spider 3 that has a fuck ton of settings) and it's been terrific, (aside from the tonal shortcomings) as it's very cost-effective and the variety in tone is terrific. Sadly, as we all know being a jack(ass) of all trades is not nearly as effective as being a king at one. And I have finally listen to what the Pit has been telling me since November of 2008... what I really need is a new amp.

I'm not quite sure how to describe this tone I want to achieve through words, so I will do it through a series of a few video clips. Keep in mind, the volume of my 75-watt Spider has been near perfect if a little bit loud but this will still need to keep up over a loud drummer.

Now the videos...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgGnWufCjso (7:55 style chunky, ballsy distortion)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRyaBj7LPdc (General also chunky sounding tone, focusing more on the sound you hear in the very beginning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvhll0CdVaA (3:27 style, the less muffled sound)

Anybody? and if possible, give me some adjectives to more accurately describe this tone. Thanks!

(and if the cleans were decent that would be a plus too!)

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Last edited by WyvernOmega at Apr 18, 2011,
Well seems like you want a pretty heavy tone - something with balls for rythm, as well as fully saturated leads. What is your budget?

Many will say the Peavey 6505+, which will do all of that. The come comes in at $550 new I think, or around there - check around.

Otherwise - check the Mesa Single Rectifier (used) around $800.

Do you have a cabinet or do you need to factor buying one of those as well? If you're on a budget, get a 2x12 - as you do not NEED a 4x12.

Lots more info required on your part.
Budget?
New/used?
Gigging?
Closest major city?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Budget - I've just broken my wallet on a new guitar, so shoot any numbers at me and I'll work towards it!
New/used - I've bought used gear before and it's been perfect, I would buy it anytime!
Gigging - Yep, 3-4 times a month. (Decent for my age I think )
Closest major city - Victoria/Vancouver
Don't have a cab, sadly.
Ask for any more information please! (bump, it's been a while)

I write songs.
none
I'd say stick with the spider jam for now? Or just go to a GC and try every amp under the sun - lots will do what you want but without a definitive price range its hard to narrow down. I'm going to assume since your 14 I assume you have a very tight budget and want stuff on the cheap

A 2x12 cab (cheapest going that rocks is the Jet City 2x12 @ $219 US) should do it.

As far as amp heads - check into used gear for sure. The Peavey Vypyr 75 might be great - people seem to love it for a modeller on here - I've never played it, same with a used Egnater Tweaker/Rebel 20. JCA20H wont go as heavy as you want w/o an OD pedal. Orange TT might be a little pricey and isn't awesome for the price unless you find a cheap used one.

JCA50H is $500, works very well for me for metulz and hard rock.

You can probably grab a used Marshal DSL combo for around $400-500 - this is probably your cheapest route.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 19, 2011,
I am a white trash baller; money is not tight

I write songs.
none
Moneys not tight you say????

Soldano SLO. Yay for dropping 3k+

More chunk and chugg than you will know what to do with. Sounds exactly like what you are going for. Maybe a Mesa Roadking or Engl Invader would be more your thing.

If you want serious answers that aren't in the 2500+ price range, give me more specifics.

Otherwise, grab a JCA 100 or the like. Will get you pretty much there
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s