So seeing as there is a ska thread and that reggae is different than ska we need a reggae thread, if this needs to be moved feel free to tell me so. anyway just say some of your favorite reggae bands mine are: (in no order)1. Bob Marley
2. Black Uhuru
3. Jimmy Cliff
4. Ziggy Marley
5. Sublime (i know ska-punk)
6. Steel Pulse
7. Christafari
8. Burning Spear
9. Peter Tosh
10. Toots and the Maytals
I'm trying to remember this song my friend who likes reggae showed me about legalizing. It wasn't Peter Tosh or Bushman's legalize it songs.
Bob Marley wasnt a band. the band was the wailers.

And you guys need to listen to the Skatalites. you cant talk about reggae and ska and not mention the skatalites.

I grew up in jamaica was born there, and the Skatalites music was played every single week on the radio there. on RJR every Sunday you'd hear eastern standard time by them. To this day its still plays every sunday there

The Skatalites were the ones who started the genre. they invented the "skank" that clicking guitar rhythm that characterises the genre. They also invented rock steady and reggae

If you want to get into reggae start listening to the Skatalites.

Check these songs out to see what i'm raving about
Swing Easy - Skatalites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L9HVDSGDKc
Rock fort rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLVdKbPHHY
Police woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRzA74sMRM

Real rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRiFrDMaZ6Y

And this is some of there most famous Ska songs

Eastern Standard time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV2pE3cBlk8

James Bond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnG23hxnyU0&feature=related

The Guns of Navarone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp-fNyF7gl0&feature=related
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Dancehall and reggae Greats you guys should check out

Tenor Saw - Ring the alarm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRCao607WH4

Tenor Saw - Golden hen (this song is so simple but badass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6xoeZsn1Y0

Garnett silk - Mama Africa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAVS1NIHfgA

Third World - Try Jah love (I remember listening to this song and dancing to it when i was a kid. Huge song, its been copied alot)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK8zAssTv7Y

Dennis Brown - Revolution (one of Bob Marley's influences)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ayBPVFFR0k

Maxi priest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cafLLCvfZpY

Beris Hammond - Doctors Orders

Greggory Issacs - Night Nurse

As you can see what they popularly call "Ska" is NOT ska at all, what Skatalies play is the real thing, and what these guys do is real reggae

There are also alot of really good new artists out there

Jah Cure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjdWQYk0hZE

I-wayne - Living in love (this song is so cool)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ6eQpmfjQA

Sizzla (his album "da real ting" was his best one almost every song on it was a huge hit locally)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA49eyVbCCg

Buju Banton, Vybes Kartel and Movado are also really good artists but they mainly do Dancehall which is basically a different genre
etc are notable ones
Quote by Twist of fate
Quote by due 07
Yeah Bob Marley and Sublime all day

I like them and Toots & the Maytals, and Rebelution.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Marley is overrated. A few good songs, and hundreds of re-writes of those good songs. Guy just basically wrote the same song over and over. I do not hate him, but I think he gets to much attention.
Raggae is too relaxing for me. I like being pissed off when I listen to music most of the time. If I wanna relax I listen to Paul Simon.
Quote by ManicRepression
Marley is overrated. A few good songs, and hundreds of re-writes of those good songs. Guy just basically wrote the same song over and over. I do not hate him, but I think he gets to much attention.

Alot of Sublime's songs were about drugs. Are those just "RE-WRITES?"
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Quote by Robbin'TheHood

He's trolling. Sublime was basically a cover band. Alot of their riffs especially the bass lines were copied shamelessly from older reggae hits, that never became popular in the US.

As for the people saying Bob Marley, is overrated you guys completely miss the point of him and his impact. Bob Marley was playing during a time when heavy weights like the Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton etc were active.

What made bob great was the fact that he was able to stand out and influence many of those great artists. He also made reggae international. Clapton for example famously covered I shot the sheriff. Many artists also started incorporating some elements of reggae into their music.

As for bob singing over the same song, that's one 100% crap the only reason anyone would say that is because they haven't heard much of his music. He was a very original artist and his lyrics were powerful.

While songs like could you be loved, made him famous he sang much more powerful songs like War, Johnny was, Concrete jungle and Natural Mystic. I shot the sheriff is a powerful song too but many people outside of jamaica don't understand what the song is really about.
Quote by Twist of fate
Quote by Robbin'TheHood

What I mean is, essentially Bob just wrote the same song with different lyrics over and over and over and over... He was a good songwriter, lyrics were his gift, but as a musician.. just kept writing the same songs over and over.

Also, I do not care for Sublime all that much either, I did when I was like 16, but now I will listen to them out of nostalgia once in a while and nothing more.
I think Brad was a medicore songwriter, didn't show potential until the last album. He started to improve greatly at that time, but on 40 Oz., a lot of laughably bad songwriting. Robbin' The Hood was a throw away album, should of just called it "Half Baked Ideas". Out of all the bands from the 3rd wave ska scene (3rd rate ska scene) they were one of the better ones though.

I know a lot of people like them, and both I do understand how they can be viewed as influential, but I really do not find anything great about them.

I think given more time, Bob Marley may be remembered in certain circles, but Sublime will be forgotten.
Last edited by ManicRepression at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by reggaebassman
He's trolling. Sublime was basically a cover band. Alot of their riffs especially the bass lines were copied shamelessly from older reggae hits, that never became popular in the US.

As for the people saying Bob Marley, is overrated you guys completely miss the point of him and his impact. Bob Marley was playing during a time when heavy weights like the Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton etc were active.

What made bob great was the fact that he was able to stand out and influence many of those great artists. He also made reggae international. Clapton for example famously covered I shot the sheriff. Many artists also started incorporating some elements of reggae into their music.

As for bob singing over the same song, that's one 100% crap the only reason anyone would say that is because they haven't heard much of his music. He was a very original artist and his lyrics were powerful.

While songs like could you be loved, made him famous he sang much more powerful songs like War, Johnny was, Concrete jungle and Natural Mystic. I shot the sheriff is a powerful song too but many people outside of jamaica don't understand what the song is really about.

Agree about what you said about Marley. And unfortunately recycling bass lines is quite common.

Quote by ManicRepression
What I mean is, essentially Bob just wrote the same song with different lyrics over and over and over and over... He was a good songwriter, lyrics were his gift, but as a musician.. just kept writing the same songs over and over.

Also, I do not care for Sublime all that much either, I did when I was like 16, but now I will listen to them out of nostalgia once in a while and nothing more.
I think Brad was a medicore songwriter, didn't show potential until the last album. He started to improve greatly at that time, but on 40 Oz., a lot of laughably bad songwriting. Robbin' The Hood was a throw away album, should of just called it "Half Baked Ideas". Out of all the bands from the 3rd wave ska scene (3rd rate ska scene) they were one of the better ones though.

I know a lot of people like them, and both I do understand how they can be viewed as influential, but I really do not find anything great about them.

I think given more time, Bob Marley may be remembered in certain circles, but Sublime will be forgotten.

While the songs on their last album are the "most professional" sounding. I enjoy their work on 40oz. to Freedom far more. Robbin' The Hood only has a couple of good songs. Lyrics of the Punk/ Post-Punk artist John Lydon were far deeper, if he was basing his lyrics off of something you can't really tell. But he did say, "No idea is completely original." While this is no excuse for stealing bass riffs, the reusing of them is inevitable. But to be honest, Bud Gaugh (Sublime's Drummer) and Eric Wilson (Sublime's Bassist) aren't the greatest musicians. The Red Hot Chili Pepper's line up is much more talented. But IMO Brad Nowell was the member of the band that made Sublime a good band. The others were just background noise, much like Sid Vicious on bass. (much better noise than Sid Vicious)

You can dislike them all you like, but don't start a debate about whether or not Bob Marley re-wrote the same song over and over again or Sublime was just a cover band. Everyone has different taste. Besides Sublime is more of a band you listen to because how musically unprofessional they were. They're relaxed. How much of 40oz to Freedom have you heard?

Quote by iwannabesedated
Raggae is too relaxing for me. I like being pissed off when I listen to music most of the time. If I wanna relax I listen to Paul Simon.

Wtf was the point of posting here?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by iwannabesedated
I was kidding dude calm down.

It's all good, I was just wondering why someone would post in a reggae thread about Paul Simon. That was just a side note.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Quote by Robbin'TheHood
It's all good, I was just wondering why someone would post in a reggae thread about Paul Simon. That was just a side note.

Well originally I was trying to kid around about how I never like to listen to relaxing music, but then I for some reason thought I should put down Paul Simon just so that I wasn't lying...and it really all broke down

It was funny in my head anyway...
"While the songs on their last album are the "most professional" sounding. I enjoy their work on 40oz. to Freedom far more. Robbin' The Hood only has a couple of good songs. Lyrics of the Punk/ Post-Punk artist John Lydon were far deeper, if he was basing his lyrics off of something you can't really tell. But he did say, "No idea is completely original." While this is no excuse for stealing bass riffs, the reusing of them is inevitable. But to be honest, Bud Gaugh (Sublime's Drummer) and Eric Wilson (Sublime's Bassist) aren't the greatest musicians. The Red Hot Chili Pepper's line up is much more talented. But IMO Brad Nowell was the member of the band that made Sublime a good band. The others were just background noise, much like Sid Vicious on bass. (much better noise than Sid Vicious)

You can dislike them all you like, but don't start a debate about whether or not Bob Marley re-wrote the same song over and over again or Sublime was just a cover band. Everyone has different taste. Besides Sublime is more of a band you listen to because how musically unprofessional they were. They're relaxed. How much of 40oz to Freedom have you heard?"

Why not debate about it, yes everyone has different tastes, that also sounds likes a cop out for saying dont have an opinion that differs from mine.

I never called Sublime a cover band either and do not wanna discuss Red Hot Date Rape Peppers.

If you like those groups, whatever... but really Marley is not the be all end all of reggae.

I have heard 40 oz. more times than I wish to. I heard it when it was new and I have heard it to this day. Hell at work it was the only album the stoners played for months on end.
Quote by iwannabesedated
Well originally I was trying to kid around about how I never like to listen to relaxing music, but then I for some reason thought I should put down Paul Simon just so that I wasn't lying...and it really all broke down

It was funny in my head anyway...

I find your explaination pretty funny.

Quote by ManicRepression
"While the songs on their last album are the "most professional" sounding. I enjoy their work on 40oz. to Freedom far more. Robbin' The Hood only has a couple of good songs. Lyrics of the Punk/ Post-Punk artist John Lydon were far deeper, if he was basing his lyrics off of something you can't really tell. But he did say, "No idea is completely original." While this is no excuse for stealing bass riffs, the reusing of them is inevitable. But to be honest, Bud Gaugh (Sublime's Drummer) and Eric Wilson (Sublime's Bassist) aren't the greatest musicians. The Red Hot Chili Pepper's line up is much more talented. But IMO Brad Nowell was the member of the band that made Sublime a good band. The others were just background noise, much like Sid Vicious on bass. (much better noise than Sid Vicious)

You can dislike them all you like, but don't start a debate about whether or not Bob Marley re-wrote the same song over and over again or Sublime was just a cover band. Everyone has different taste. Besides Sublime is more of a band you listen to because how musically unprofessional they were. They're relaxed. How much of 40oz to Freedom have you heard?"

Why not debate about it, yes everyone has different tastes, that also sounds likes a cop out for saying dont have an opinion that differs from mine.

I never called Sublime a cover band either and do not wanna discuss Red Hot Date Rape Peppers.

If you like those groups, whatever... but really Marley is not the be all end all of reggae.

I have heard 40 oz. more times than I wish to. I heard it when it was new and I have heard it to this day. Hell at work it was the only album the stoners played for months on end.

That might explain it. The reason I don't like the Beatles is because I've heard all their songs too many times. FYI I only like RHCP's songs back from the '90s. I'm not saying Marley is "the be all end all of reggae." I like bands like Toots & the Maytals much better. Could you explain how he re-wrote the same song over-and-over-again?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by ManicRepression
You heard 40 oz. to Freedom when you were 11?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Sublime had influences from all around, a lot from Hip Hop. A big part of hip hop was mixing different tracks together to create a new sound, which is what sublime did along with their original ska/rock sound. Some of their work was lazy, some was genius.

Passafire
Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad
RootsCollider
The Dirty Heads
Stick Figure
Soja

^All new awesome reggae bands, I've noticed a lot of reggae coming out of upstate NY lately too.

I've given up on punk rock for the most part though. I listen to some once in a while but other than that it's all Reggae, Hip Hop, Funk, Dance and Folk for me.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
As a fan of reggae I really don't like Bob Marley, not quite sure why.

Any of you reggae fans like dub?
Quote by element4433
You heard 40 oz. to Freedom when you were 11?

Yeah, I remember hearing some from watch a lot of Much Music at that time. I got the album shortly after and listened to it a fair bit, than kinda lost interest and went back to it more when the self-titled became a hit. We had that, and also we have a pretty famous radio station that played all sorts of stuff called CKUA, I got into some music of that time from that station as well.

As for what I mean with re-writing the same song. I hear little variation with different Marley albums, each one felt just like the last.. to the point where it was like, buy one album and you really have heard them all. It suffers from being too similar sounding to me, and it feels like it is just the same songs written over and over, with just different lyrics. That is more what I mean.
Bob Marley and Sublime are so ****ing overrated. Not bad, just overrated
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
going to college made me not like sublime anymore, even had to give away my 40 oz to freedom shirt after 10 bros tried talking to me about music and told me they had the same shirt.
I dont listen to Reggae as much as I used to,
but when I'm in the mood for it I'll stick some Desmond Dekker on.
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by ManicRepression

but really Marley is not the be all end all of reggae.

This.

Bob Marley & The Wailers have some great stuff, especially the earlier material when they played Ska, Bluesbeat & Rocksteady instead of just Reggae.

But they are not all there is to the genre, they are just the most popular.

Personally i like Steel Pulse, Desmond Dekker, Skatellites, (Early) Bob Marley & The Wailers.
Although thinking about it, most of them are more Ska than Reggae.