Ok so I'm trying to find a half stack/loud combo that is versatile enough so that i can play metal in one band, and clean rock type stuff in the other. In one band, we're playing hardcore metalcore type music, so i definitely need a loud amp for it..i was thinking the Peavey 6505..but it seems to me that it's ONLY good for high gain and that is has awful cleans. I need an amp with good cleans though, because of my other styles that i play..i don't want to spend a lot of money on an amp that is only good for metal. I need suggestions, thanks!
budget
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
spider valve is the only answer here....

until we get a budget.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Peavey XXX.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Three words.

S.

L.

O.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Three words.

S.

L.

O.

SLO versatile? It's not the amp that comes in my mind if i think 'versatile'. Awesome amp though.

I guess your budget is in the 6505 area? Than i'd suggest a peavey XXX or a second hand mesa mark IV.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I was joking

In all seriousness, LC PL has it down,

though tbh the 6505+ has passable cleans IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Sorry, budget is at highest 1,000$ preferably lower.

Thanks for the responses so far i'll check it out
what part of earth? used markets vary.
Used JSX/XXX or Boogie Mk. IV, even a Mesa triple rec or Roadking. You're going to want at least a 100w amp for headroom to play good cleans at high volume, Triple Rectos are 120w if I remember correctly.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
No way on the XXX. You'll get awesome tone for metal but your tone for clean/rockish stuff will be pretty meh.

How about the http://www.peavey.com/products/instamplifiers/guitaramps/vypyr/index.cfm/item/116903/Vypyr%28tm%29%20Tube%20120%20Head.html ?
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
for under $1000 I have to vote Bugera 333/6262 head and a diecent 4x12 or 2x12 (if you go new).
hey thanks man i checked out the Bugera head and i like what i head so far.

anyone agree with bugera 333/6262 head? with decent cab
Quote by seanmsphil
hey thanks man i checked out the Bugera head and i like what i head so far.

anyone agree with bugera 333/6262 head? with decent cab

Peavey 3120 is better. They run about 500 used in the states. Then just grab a used cab and you'll be golden. And btw, the XXX is what they based the 333 off of.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by rawkandrowl
No way on the XXX. You'll get awesome tone for metal but your tone for clean/rockish stuff will be pretty meh.

How about the http://www.peavey.com/products/instamplifiers/guitaramps/vypyr/index.cfm/item/116903/Vypyr%28tm%29%20Tube%20120%20Head.html ?

What are you talking about? The XXX, and especially the JSX is amazing for clean/rock stuff. If anything, it's meh for metal (at least really heavy modern stuff).

Also TS: The Bugera 333 is a XXX clone, and the 6262 is a 6505+ clone. Just in case you didn't know.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Bugeras like to blow up. Off is there signature tone...

trollface.jpg
:cop:

Also peavey ultras are cool i probably prefer the tone of my ultra to like 5150s mainly because im sick of hearing 5150s everywhere.
haha
3120s/xxx's may be worth a look...
Thanks for all the responses, yeah i heard bugera 6262 is a clone of 6505..i mean i don't really care if it's a copy..but yeah i'm looking for at leasy a little better cleans than that of the 6505 so maybe i'll look into some of those other peaveys like the 3120 or the xxx

thanks for the responses i'm wondering what a good cab would be to buy along with a head, i'd prob buy it used not that it matters..but i'm looking for something rather cheap because i'm looking to spend most on a good head

thanks everyone
avatars, used mesas, used marshalls (with v30s)

these are what you'll most likely find in your range
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
for cabs, look for late 80's early 90's (not sure) Peavey cab (not with their shefffield speakers). i picked one up for $75 with made in england K85's. killer cab. its built like a tank, and the speakers are killer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd be inclined to say a Peavey JSX or a Mesa Mark IV. Or you could get an amp with a great clean platform and something like a Line 6 Pod HD.
If it doesnt have to be a Tube amp and you want versatility go find a used line 6 Flextone II head. Its gotta be a Flex 2 model. Best kept secret from line 6, and can be found mad cheap. Just picked up a head and footswitch in great shape for $200 bucks.

If its gotta be tube im a big fan of Hughes and Kettner. A used switchblade would do real well.
If your gonna go the Bugera rout im gonna say the heads are excellent but hte cabs suck monkeys. Get a different cab if your gonna go that route.
Yeah thats what i was planning to do, get a bugera head with a peavey cab. Might just get a peavey head though with cab instead of bugera
Quote by Offworld92
What are you talking about? The XXX, and especially the JSX is amazing for clean/rock stuff. If anything, it's meh for metal (at least really heavy modern stuff).

Also TS: The Bugera 333 is a XXX clone, and the 6262 is a 6505+ clone. Just in case you didn't know.

Seriously!!?!? You really think that? I guess this is proof that tone is subjective! The XXX is perfect for "really heavy modern" metal. But I never found the clean channel anything special. I've heard a few different XXX's too btw.

Anyway the XXX is has ugly looks and weird knobs (hair body and bottom? wth!?) so we can all agree he shouldn't get one.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Egnator maybe?
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
carvin v3m half stack for 1080 or v3 half stack with midi switching for round 1300. less if you catch it on sale.
I'm hungry.
Quote by rawkandrowl
Seriously!!?!? You really think that? I guess this is proof that tone is subjective! The XXX is perfect for "really heavy modern" metal. But I never found the clean channel anything special. I've heard a few different XXX's too btw.

Anyway the XXX is has ugly looks and weird knobs (hair body and bottom? wth!?) so we can all agree he shouldn't get one.

Wrong
Jet City JCA100h or 50h.

But if you can afford it, JCA100HDM.

All have good high gain channels along with highly usable cleans. 6505's clean channel is worthless.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Apr 22, 2011,
So i'm hearing peavey xxx, peavey 3120, Mesa mark IV and Bugera 333 or 6262 the most..I'll check out some marshall and the jet city stuff but rthanks for responses everybody
Quote by AmbientMathAsh
Egnator maybe?

Yes.