I am thinking of buying a gibson les paul of some sort, and then spending a bit of money on it to make it a metal machine, eg i am prob going to put some bareknuckle warpigs in it, etc. but i dont know what les paul, would be best for metal, any ideas
There's nothing wrong with a studio. They are absolute workhorses and awesome pickups like that would make it a beast
i second the studio since you are changing the pups

btw im go happy to see that making it a metal machine didnt mean putting emgs in it(nothing against emgs but im tired of seeing it)
Prolly one that doesn't have a short scale. I don't know much about Les Pauls, but I'm pretty sure that most of them have a 24.7 inch scale or something, which does not work out well for drop tunings. I'm sure they must make 25.5 inch scale ones though, cause they are popular for metal music.
Honestly? Screw Gibson.

Grab an ESP Eclipse if you want an LP shape. They come with 24 frets, a longer scale, better pickups, much nicer [read: less chunky] necks...

Jackson also makes good guitars as far as "metal" goes.

But to me it's less about the guitar you buy, honestly, and more about you as a player [so yes, Gibson is just a personal thing]. It's also more about the amp. The amp is hugely important.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Burning_Angel
Honestly? Screw Gibson.

Grab an ESP Eclipse if you want an LP shape. They come with 24 frets, a longer scale, better pickups, much nicer [read: less chunky] necks...

Jackson also makes good guitars as far as "metal" goes.

But to me it's less about the guitar you buy, honestly, and more about you as a player [so yes, Gibson is just a personal thing]. It's also more about the amp. The amp is hugely important.

Screw Gibson on what basis?

he didn't say he wanted the LP shape of some sort, he said Gibson of some sort.

an ESP Eclipse is a completely different guitar, plays totally different, neck feels totally different. there really isn't anything similar about them other than shape.

thats apples vs oranges.

maybe you would know if you spent some time playing both of them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ethan_hanus
Prolly one that doesn't have a short scale. I don't know much about Les Pauls, but I'm pretty sure that most of them have a 24.7 inch scale or something, which does not work out well for drop tunings. I'm sure they must make 25.5 inch scale ones though, cause they are popular for metal music.

Your joking right lol
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
a Les Paul studio would be all you need. if you have a little extra cash, the Les Paul Traditional is definitely a step up though.

my main guitar at the moment is a Satin Ebony Studio (i paid $550 for it new because of a discount, although they go for $800) and while not having the nice grain filled high gloss finish, they are damn solid guitars. some people claim there are tons of lemons with new gibsons, but i own four made in the last couple of years (and two gibsons made in 1980) and haven't encountered that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by ethan_hanus

Weird since I have restrung mine for standard D, C and drop B before and never had a problem. Just a regular Black Beauty....
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Screw Gibson on what basis?

he didn't say he wanted the LP shape of some sort, he said Gibson of some sort.

an ESP Eclipse is a completely different guitar, plays totally different, neck feels totally different. there really isn't anything similar about them other than shape.

thats apples vs oranges.

maybe you would know if you spent some time playing both of them.

I love how you assume I haven't played one or the other.

I for one, have never played a Gibson and enjoyed it. I have played a few SG's, many LP's, and a few Explorers and Firebirds. Not a one of them was enjoyable. Now, the problem with guitars is, they're personal preference. What I enjoy is different from what you enjoy, etc etc.

And as for Eclipses, one of my good friends owns an EC-1000. Plays beautifully. Neck is way way nicer than any Gibson I've ever played, and it feels about 10x lighter than any Les Paul I've played. So, you can kindly screw off about me not knowing whereof I speak.

Oh, and from the OP: "gibson les paul of some sort". Reading comprehension tells me that that doesn't mean just "a Gibson of some sort". It also tells me that he likes the singlecut shape of LP's.

'course, if the guy's set on a Les Paul, not much I can do about that, but he should probably at least consider branching out a bit and trying other brands which make the same shape. PRS also makes some wonderful Les Paul shaped guitars. Agile is another option if he wants to be frugal.

But I'll reiterate: mostly, amps are more important than guitars to one's sound. That's pretty much why I say he should consider some other brands. I am no audiophile, but say he's running the guitar through oh, a Peavey 6505 or whatever, he'll get a pretty similar tone if he leaves it the same and just plays different guitars, especially if they're all high end.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by Burning_Angel
I love how you assume I haven't played one or the other.

I for one, have never played a Gibson and enjoyed it. I have played a few SG's, many LP's, and a few Explorers and Firebirds. Not a one of them was enjoyable. Now, the problem with guitars is, they're personal preference. What I enjoy is different from what you enjoy, etc etc.

And as for Eclipses, one of my good friends owns an EC-1000. Plays beautifully. Neck is way way nicer than any Gibson I've ever played, and it feels about 10x lighter than any Les Paul I've played. So, you can kindly screw off about me not knowing whereof I speak.

Oh, and from the OP: "gibson les paul of some sort". Reading comprehension tells me that that doesn't mean just "a Gibson of some sort". It also tells me that he likes the singlecut shape of LP's.

'course, if the guy's set on a Les Paul, not much I can do about that, but he should probably at least consider branching out a bit and trying other brands which make the same shape. PRS also makes some wonderful Les Paul shaped guitars. Agile is another option if he wants to be frugal.

But I'll reiterate: mostly, amps are more important than guitars to one's sound. That's pretty much why I say he should consider some other brands. I am no audiophile, but say he's running the guitar through oh, a Peavey 6505 or whatever, he'll get a pretty similar tone if he leaves it the same and just plays different guitars, especially if they're all high end.

i owned an EC400 and an EC1000 a couple of years ago and own six gibsons now. it is all personal preference, but there is no need to say "screw Gibson."

and for the record, the Eclipse i played the other day weighed more than any of my les pauls.

also an EC1000 is not in near the territory of an eclipse. so that means you haven't played an Eclipse. the ESP/LTD thats Fender/Squier territory if you ask me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Burning_Angel

I'd disagree, there...
Different strokes.

I owned an ESP Eclipse and it was nice and all, but at the end of the day I sold it because I enjoyed my Gibson Explorer much more.

In my opinion, other than the shape- the Eclipse is nothing like any Les Paul I've played.
Quote by Slap-happy
I'd disagree, there...

You'd be the only one because it's true.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
You'd be the only one because it's true.

Elaborate...

I've been in numerous studios and rehearsal spaces with various guitar players over the years. One thing that I have noticed that all retain the fundametal tone irrespective of the amp wor even the guitar for that matter.
Quote by Slap-happy

I've been in numerous studios and rehearsal spaces with various guitar players over the years. One thing that I have noticed that all retain the fundametal tone irrespective of the amp wor even the guitar for that matter.

I think he is talking about a different sort of tone. For pure sound tone the Amp has the most character.

The players tone will effect overall tone but it is different.
Quote by R45VT
I think he is talking about a different sort of tone. For pure sound tone the Amp has the most character.

The players tone will effect overall tone but it is different.

This. I was playing on Toby Mac's touring guitarist's gear after he got done with a class at a camp and he commented on our finger tone (he thought mine was good... ), but it still had the sound of the amp. It sounded different with many players trying it out, but it still sounded as good as the gear itself sounded.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i owned an EC400 and an EC1000 a couple of years ago and own six gibsons now. it is all personal preference, but there is no need to say "screw Gibson."

and for the record, the Eclipse i played the other day weighed more than any of my les pauls.

also an EC1000 is not in near the territory of an eclipse. so that means you haven't played an Eclipse. the ESP/LTD thats Fender/Squier territory if you ask me.

You're like, wrong bro. The EC-1000's play just about as nicely as ESP's, but with just a little lax on quality control as far as finishing touches. I mean - sure you may have an off set up or a jagged edge on some of the lower level LTDs, the 1000 series are basically ESP's made in Korea rather than Japan though.

EDIT: Also - there are the LTD EC-1000T/CTM models that are full thickness - and they come with Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups and 22 frets, making them pretty similar to an LP. The only difference being one less tone knob, and a far thinner (and far superior IMO, but thats just preference) neck profile. The thin U countour of ESP/LTD can only be marginally compared to the slim taper neck Gibson offers on some models.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 20, 2011,
Could also depend on how big your hands are - I'm a lanky sod and have always preferred the "beefy" feel of a Gibson neck. I don't tend to be much of a shredder anymore either.

I played an EC of some type a while back and the neck just felt insubstantial to me...
Quote by Slap-happy
Elaborate...

Amps are the far more important factor in your overall tone than the guitars you play. Sure, different guitars will sound different, but those are very minor nuances compared to the vast differences between different amps. A Twin Reverb will have the signature Twin Reverb sound regardless of what guitars you use (although they will each have their own minor nuances) and a JCM800 will sound like a JCM800 regardless of your guitar. However, you will never be able to achieve any drastic variations in your sound just by changing your guitar. You will hear a difference, but the base of your tone is your amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.