I've been playing electric guitar for quite a while now and I am pretty confident of my technique, to the point me and my friends decided to create a band. My actual amplifier is not going to cut it so I need a new one ASAP. My budget is around $600 right now, but a good tube amplifier is way above that. That, or probably I'm still new to the whole amplifier topic and I need to know about some good brands that will deliver a good sound. Considering my budget and the fact I want some modern metal sound such as "Inflames" or "Trivium", what would your suggestions be?
Bugera. Bugera. Bugera. 6262 or 333xl both come in combos and stacks, and are more than what you need. Don't listen to people who say they're shit, because I know quite a few people (myself included) who've had Bugera, and they work fine. When they first came out there was a huge soldering problem, but the issue has been resolved, and alas. A high quality tube amp, for a wicked price.
used peavey 5150/6505 2x12 combo
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
what everyone else is saying
Last edited by MM14 at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by JTNorquay
Bugera. Bugera. Bugera. 6262 or 333xl both come in combos and stacks, and are more than what you need. Don't listen to people who say they're shit, because I know quite a few people (myself included) who've had Bugera, and they work fine. When they first came out there was a huge soldering problem, but the issue has been resolved, and alas. A high quality tube amp, for a wicked price.

I second this, if you plan on playing live gigs with a drummer in approaching time then you may want the stack possibility.
i hate recommending these since they are mentioned so often on here, but for $600ish (i don't stay up on current new prices) you can get a Peavey 6505 1x12" combo, which would be great.

other things to look out for if you are willing to go used would be a peavey ultra/XXX, JSX, maybe even a VTM.

a Ultra 60 just went for $200 on my craigslist. that would even leave you the funds for a decent cab.

other things to look for that may be less common, would be an Ampeg VL Lee Jackson (i have the VL1002, and it is an awesome amp if you can find one used for the right price), a Crate Blue Voodoo would do the job well, i swear by the old blue ones with the orange lights as opposed to the ones with the blue lights. i have the old one with the blue tolex that i bought to mod, it sounds pretty decent and i paid $200. that woud leave you enough room for a cab again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by JTNorquay
I found a Randall 120w on Guitar Center for less than a $200. I BELIEVE it is a solid state head and I do know it is different than a tube head such as bugera and the sound was as agressive as a standard Pantera song. Does it reaaaally matter which kind of head do you buy or it all depends on the way you set it up/mic it? If you had to compare both Randall and Bugera, which one is more versatile (as for the head)?

Thanks
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i hate recommending these since they are mentioned so often on here, but for $600ish (i don't stay up on current new prices) you can get a Peavey 6505 1x12" combo, which would be great.

other things to look out for if you are willing to go used would be a peavey ultra/XXX, JSX, maybe even a VTM.

a Ultra 60 just went for $200 on my craigslist. that would even leave you the funds for a decent cab.

other things to look for that may be less common, would be an Ampeg VL Lee Jackson (i have the VL1002, and it is an awesome amp if you can find one used for the right price), a Crate Blue Voodoo would do the job well, i swear by the old blue ones with the orange lights as opposed to the ones with the blue lights. i have the old one with the blue tolex that i bought to mod, it sounds pretty decent and i paid $200. that woud leave you enough room for a cab again.

Thanks, it's good to know I am on the right track somehow. My teacher is selling me an ampeg cab with 4 speakers for $300 and they are ridiculously awesome. My only problem now would be the head amp I guess. What are your thoughts on Peavy VYPYR?
Quote by MarioLN
Thanks, it's good to know I am on the right track somehow. My teacher is selling me an ampeg cab with 4 speakers for $300 and they are ridiculously awesome. My only problem now would be the head amp I guess. What are your thoughts on Peavy VYPYR?

if you can get the vypyr tube, go for it.

i would still take a XXX/JSX/Ultra/5150/6505 over it though. but if you feel you need a lot of versatility, go for the vypyr.

also with amps, almost always buy used. 40% depreciation occurs as soon as they leave the salesroom floor, unless it is something boutique (which is out of your price range).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you can get the vypyr tube, go for it.

i would still take a XXX/JSX/Ultra/5150/6505 over it though. but if you feel you need a lot of versatility, go for the vypyr.

also with amps, almost always buy used. 40% depreciation occurs as soon as they leave the salesroom floor, unless it is something boutique (which is out of your price range).

I've been checking on the VYPYR series, despite not being tube amps (as far as I've seen) I think they actually deliver a good sound, at least good enough for my pocket. Rumour has it that you can connect the VYPYR to your cab, making it into a "head". Is it true?
A 5150/6505 212 will be way better for what you want than an SS vypyr played through a 4x12 with random speakers (do you know what speakers are in it?).

I mean, as a 5150 owner, it will literally nail In Flames and Trivium tone, as those are 2 bands I love, and more importantly, those two bands actually record with the 5150/6505. Trivium sounds a bit better with a 6505+ rather than a 6505, but you won't be able to get nearly as good of a death metal tone without the 6505.

Unless you're talking strictly recent In Flames, then a 6505+ might be a better choice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
A 5150/6505 212 will be way better for what you want than an SS vypyr played through a 4x12 with random speakers (do you know what speakers are in it?).

I mean, as a 5150 owner, it will literally nail In Flames and Trivium tone, as those are 2 bands I love, and more importantly, those two bands actually record with the 5150/6505. Trivium sounds a bit better with a 6505+ rather than a 6505, but you won't be able to get nearly as good of a death metal tone without the 6505.

Unless you're talking strictly recent In Flames, then a 6505+ might be a better choice.

Agreed. yet they are quite expensive for what I'm looking for. I haven't found the 5150 neither used or new (head) and there's the combo but I am not really sure if it would be enough for the gigs, considering my whole band has 75w or above.

As for the 6505, I think it sound gorgeous as well but then again, they are EXPENSIVE...if you know of any site or user sellng them used and around 500/600 bucks... I'm in. I would still need a cab but as long as I get the head then it's cool.
Craigs List or Ebay. They go all day every day for $600, heads and combos alike.

And trust me. The 212 combo is enough. In a full band situation, I've never been able to turn it past 3. Does the rest of your band use SS amps? 75W is not a common rating for tube amps.

Also, the 6505 is the exact same amp as the 5150, down to the component.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Craigs List or Ebay. They go all day every day for $600, heads and combos alike.

And trust me. The 212 combo is enough. In a full band situation, I've never been able to turn it past 3. Does the rest of your band use SS amps? 75W is not a common rating for tube amps.

Also, the 6505 is the exact same amp as the 5150, down to the component.

That's what I just discovered xD but then again, for some reason 5150 tends to be cheaper on eBay, so I think it's a very safe bet. When I said "75w or above" I meant to just say "way above", because I still only own a Spider III 75w.

So considering I am going to have the 5150 and possibly a peavey cab, is there any need for pedals?
You know that, even if you may not like it - a Spider 75w amp will be plenty loud to jam with a drummer?
Quote by MarioLN
That's what I just discovered xD but then again, for some reason 5150 tends to be cheaper on eBay, so I think it's a very safe bet. When I said "75w or above" I meant to just say "way above", because I still only own a Spider III 75w.

So considering I am going to have the 5150 and possibly a peavey cab, is there any need for pedals?

The 5150 is cheaper because it's a lot older. I think mine was made the year after I was born, or something like that. Gear depreciates in value over time, except for some rare exceptions. The positive is that good gear won't ever wear out or down (besides the obvious maintenance like tube replacement, etc.). Don't trust a Bugera to still be kicking it in 20 years.

At the very least, you'll need a noise gate. I love my Boss NS-2, but if you can afford it, the ISP G String is a much better pedal. It's just very costly.

You'll probably also want an OD to use as a boost. I use an Ibanez TS7, got it for $25 on ebay. I also have a Boss OS-2, but I don't like it as much. I think Boss OD's sound better on British amps. Another very popular cheap OD to use as a boost is the Digitech Bad Monkey. It costs a little more than the TS7 (last time I checked), but it's not as versatile, IMO. The TS7 has a "hot" switch, which almost turns it into a distortion pedal. It's way too gainy to use as a boost, I've found. Don't get anything ridiculous like a TS9 or TS808 though. They're nice pedals, but unless you're actually using them for OD, they're just ridiculously overpriced for use as a boost.

The third thing you'll want is an EQ pedal. I use a Boss GE7 because it is 9V, so I can daisy chain it with my One Spot, or use it with my Gator Power Supply. I also like it because I know it has modding potential, which will make it better than an MXR, and it's very very durable. But if you don't mind having multiple power adapters, or you want to use batteries, the MXR M108 Ten Band EQ is a very good EQ, which sounds better and give you more control stock. They can run as much as 2x as much as a GE7 on the used market though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 19, 2011,