Went to GC and tried out a Vox AC30. Great amp, and ALMOST meets my needs. It could really afford to be more aggressive and have more low-end. Now I know that Voxes clearly weren't made with this in mind, which is why I need an alternative. Nothing too drastically different, but just a little more ballsy/authoritative with a same general tone. Any suggestions? Please don't suggest the AD30; too "fuzzy" and bleh. I just didn't like it. I will be using this for alternative/pop rock. Budget is under $2,000 used. Nearest city is Sacramento.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Apr 19, 2011,
I have a lot of answers to your question but they're mostly boutique amps that cost many times the amount of a regular vox.

Also to clarify, you want the characteristic chime of the vox with... better low end? What exactly do you mean by aggressive? Are you saying that you want the amp to be capable of more distortion?

Or do you just want the british cleans with more dirt, something orangesque?

Are we thinking characteristic vox sound as in: early beatles? The Edge? Brian May?

And last but probably the first thing you should have considered: there are such things as pedals which do exactly what you want...
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by Zamorak at Apr 19, 2011,
Try a treble booster. It works for Brian May.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Zamorak
I have a lot of answers to your question but they're mostly boutique amps that cost many times the amount of a regular vox.

Also to clarify, you want the characteristic chime of the vox with... better low end? What exactly do you mean by aggressive? Are you saying that you want the amp to be capable of more distortion?

Or do you just want the british cleans with more dirt, something orangesque?

Are we thinking characteristic vox sound as in: early beatles? The Edge? Brian May?

Well I would want the classic chimey cleans, but also the ability to crank it up for alternative rock-esque overdrive (REM, Jimmy Eat World, etc). What I mean by aggressive is having a little more "punch" to the overdrive, which I feel the Vox kind of lacks. More of a british voice and orangesque would be accurate, but not straying to far from the original AC30 tone. Extra gain would be nice as well. It's hard to describe without subjective words! I do have a budget, but I would still take pricier recommendations into consideration. Try to keep it under $2,000.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

I have an AC30.
If I had to get rid of all my pedals but one, I would keep my Tubescreamer.
I have a TS-808 and a TS9DX. I use those 2 pedals 90% of the time when I want dirt.

I also have several other dirt pedals.
I can go from a chimey clean to sabbath dirt, and loads of other styles in between.
I can't do the "br00tz", but I'm satisfied (More or less, I'm a bit of a fuzzaholic).
Found a perfect example of what I'm looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc6vs-l5dkc (at 00:34)

Please excuse the pop/emo-ness

Not 100% Vox sounding, but has that certain gritty overdrive. What gets close to that? And what can you guys tell me about the RSA 31?
Quote by blackflag49

how hard did you push the AC30. they are pretty much known for their balls at high volume. i personally haven't tried a new production AC30 which sounded good to my ears at all. i have played a JMI top boost (i think?) and it was amazing but they aren't really in the same price bracket.

i don't know if you can get your hands on some sort of matchless but basically anything by them will get you in the AC30 region but sound worlds better then most Ac30's.
Quote by bingeandletgo
Found a perfect example of what I'm looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc6vs-l5dkc (at 00:34)

Please excuse the pop/emo-ness

Not 100% Vox sounding, but has that certain gritty overdrive. What gets close to that? And what can you guys tell me about the RSA 31?

I'm a pretty big vox enthusiast and I own/love the RSA. See my NAD thread on it:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430822
Quote by colin617
Divided by 13 RSA 31 single-channel head can be found for under 2 grand.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.
IMe wants one of those. 2 channel model...now.....moniez anyone?
The Laney VC30 - in either 2x10 or 2x12 (not the 1x12, to my ears), has a lot of similar characteristics to an AC30 with more balls. It seems to distort more, by boosting the treble you have pretty much a replica AC30 tone and you'd have enough change for a decent Tubescreamer to really finish things off.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by rob904
you could always just bias the vox so it runs a little hotter

AC30's are cathode biased. Unless he has experience in electronics and soldering, that's not an option.

Besides, AC30's run rediculously hot anyway, and biasing one even hotter practically begs for meltdown.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
My AC30 an do a reasonable metal impression with a Rat or TS808 in front of it.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
AC30's are cathode biased. Unless he has experience in electronics and soldering, that's not an option.

Besides, AC30's run rediculously hot anyway, and biasing one even hotter practically begs for meltdown.

Weren't they dreadfully famous for catching fire in the '60s?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Weren't they dreadfully famous for catching fire in the '60s?

Rings bells... although mine's a '70s (re-con'd prior to getting it) and I've had it running as hot as buggery and never had any problems.
man 2,000 used...my order would be

morgan amps
xits amps
matchless amps
divided by 13

money no object

jmi amps

that's it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Mmmmmmmm.............. Matchless...
Quote by AcousticMirror
woops.

I forgot badcat.

And where would it fit in that list?
Quote by blackflag49

Min you can take your ass over to TGP if you're gonna start talking Matchless and Badcats.
he said 2k used.

bad cat is actually more of an ac30 inspired thing then matchless is actually.

tube rectifiers, ef86s, chimey tone stacks into el34s, 6l6s as well as el84s etc.

also mark samson is my hero.

also

fap.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Justin Derrico is MY hero.

(Invalid img)

One because he is an uber badass guitar player.

And two because after watching Pink live, only a moron would say he isn't hittin' that.