I brought some Birchwood Casey tru-oil and on the packaging it says '' WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." So is it dangerous to use and are there any safety procedures I need to take while using it?
Where does it say that? I've got a bottle and it doesn't have anything like that written on it. Maybe it's something they've added recently..
Just fyi there are soooooo many things that "state of California" considers as carcinogens. Be careful but also dont go crazy
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
If you leave a cloth soaked in it out, they can spontaneously combust. Never seen it happen personally, but I've heard of it happening more than a few times.

It won't give you cancer though. Just keep it off your hands (wear gloves or just be careful, wash your hands after using it) and don't inhale the stuff and you'll be fine.
Thanks.

Quote by littlephil
If you leave a cloth soaked in it out, they can spontaneously combust. Never seen it happen personally, but I've heard of it happening more than a few times.

It won't give you cancer though. Just keep it off your hands (wear gloves or just be careful, wash your hands after using it) and don't inhale the stuff and you'll be fine.

It says somthing on the bottle about it being flamable too.
Quote by matt154
Where does it say that? I've got a bottle and it doesn't have anything like that written on it. Maybe it's something they've added recently..

It says it on the back of the packaging it came in and also on the bottle.
You'd be suprised at how many every day items are carcinogens, just don't be stupid with it, try to avoid skin contact, and don't drink the stuff, you should be fine.
Quote by CodeMonk
Wear gloves
Use only in a well ventilated area.
clean up.

exactly

It's not dangerous, you just can't be a moron when you use it. Spray paint is much more dangerous.
Not taking any online orders.
Bit like used engine oil; most people dont think twice about getting a bit on themselves when checking or changing their oil, but that shits so bad for you it doesnt bear thinking about. If you wear gloves, youre ok.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
EVERYTHING causes cancer and birth defects in California. Thats what happens when you have a bunch of retarded hippies and lawyers in office. Literally everything you buy in this state has that warning. Apparently its only dangerous if you live here.
Quote by da_
I brought some Birchwood Casey tru-oil and on the packaging it says '' WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." So is it dangerous to use and are there any safety procedures I need to take while using it?

it also says that on most line cords when you buy a new appliance.
Quote by jof1029
just dont use it in california, duh.

or be cautious with it.

That little warning is on damn near everything here in Cali.
Its on all the gas pumps at least.

Wonder what the state would have to say about my etching solution?
honestly, i wouldn't worry about it much. if you were to be stupid and huff it yea, you may have some problems down the line.

i work in construction from time and from time to time we use acetone or laquer thinner or mineral spirits to clean some of the shit off out hands. sometimes its the only way to get stuff off your hands, open wounds and all.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Seref
Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could.

sigged
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
Quote by Seref
Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could.

Funny you should mention that... there ARE warnings in the vegetable areas of grocery stores... Our lawmakers are some of the stupidest people on earth.
That sounds good. I wont be geting out my biohazard suit to play my guitar when its done then. Thanks guys for the help
Quote by da_
That sounds good. I wont be geting out my biohazard suit to play my guitar when its done then. Thanks guys for the help

Nah, just use the biohazard suit on stage though
Quote by CodeMonk
Nah, just use the biohazard suit on stage though

Good idea haha. Safety first.
Quote by CodeMonk
That little warning is on damn near everything here in Cali.
Its on all the gas pumps at least.

Wonder what the state would have to say about my etching solution?

Ferric Chloride? I'm surprised the shit isn't outlawed in CA. My dad uses it to etch Damascus steel.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
I thought the bottle suggested you wipe it on with your fingers? Or maybe that's just what I read on TDPRI... Regardless anything can somehow cause cancer, hell food grilled with wood or charcoal is supposedly coated in yummy smokey cancer flavor
Quote by CodeMonk
I use Muratic acid/Hydrogen Peroxide solution...kinda nasty stuff

I use this too. Still not as bad as that bottled stuff...