Hi
I have a problem with my amp. It's a Peavey Vypyr 120w tube 2x12* combo and i have only had it for four month. It has worked perfectly until two days ago when it started buzzing.

It started when I plugged in my acoustic guitar like many times before and it was no problem at first but after 1-2 minutes i started to hear this distorted buzz every time I hit a string. The buzz went on for like 2 seconds after playing a string and then nothing again. I changed to my electric guitar and it was the same there, on the clean channel anyways, could not hear it on gain channel. I power down the amp and wait for a while and tried again and at first nothing but after 1-2 minutes it's back again.

I have checked and tightened all screws but the buzz seems to come from the speakers and not from something loose.
I'm not the best at amps but i checked the tubes to my knowledge and all of them still get warm and glows when i power up the amp. I don't know if there is any other way to tell if they are broken.
If any of you know what this can be please help me, my new guitar comes this week and i really don't want to test it on my old amp.

JoyBoy93
it's just a complete stab in the dark, but try changing your tubes. it might be them.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
You need to make absolutely certain that it never does this on the gain channel, to rule out the power tubes. If it does it on both channels, my bet would be the power tubes, which would make sense since you said it does it 1-2 minutes after powering the amp up, which is also the amount of time it takes for the tubes to reach decent operating temperature.

If it is only doing it on the clean channel, then you have problems that might be best left to warranty service, or if it is out of warranty, send it to Peavey anyway and pay the bill, because I don't know very many technicians who are willing to take a stab at modelling amps.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Have you changed strings recently? Is it just fret buzz because of low action on your guitars?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I hear it on the gain channel as well now. It was not easy to listen after a distorted buzz on gain channel but i could hear it when i lowered the gain.
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Have you changed strings recently? Is it just fret buzz because of low action on your guitars?

No, it's not the guitars, that was the first thing I checked. And the buzzing starts after 1-2 minutes as said and it starts direct like a snap with a finger, it does not build up.
Okay, good to know. At this point I would advise a power tube change. A matched quad of 6L6GC's. I recommend Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's. They're inexpensive, well matched, and quite rugged. Your amp is a fixed, non-adjustable bias, so you can pop the new tubes and and fire the amp right up and be good to go.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by JoyBoy93
god bless the internet

Amen to that
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
It could also be a preamp tube that is after the two channels come together, like the PI or the master section. I'm not familiar with that amp so I don't know which tube(s) that would be, but usually they are the ones closest to the power tubes. You could put a knows good tube in each position and see if the problem goes away.

Of course it could also be a physical buzzing in the chassis, cabinet or speaker, but the warmup thing makes me think it is a tube.

Lastly, there could be a connection in the circuit or a cracked trace on a PCB that expands with heat and the problem becomes evident. That kind of problem can be very hard to track down.
Bruce Clement
BC Audio Hand Crafted Performance
Last edited by BC Audio at Apr 19, 2011,
I found out i had warrant on it so i will probably take it in. Once again thanks all for the answers! I hope this thread can help others
Quote by BC Audio
It could also be a preamp tube that is after the two channels come together, like the PI or the master section. I'm not familiar with that amp so I don't know which tube(s) that would be, but usually they are the ones closest to the power tubes. You could put a knows good tube in each position and see if the problem goes away.

Of course it could also be a physical buzzing in the chassis, cabinet or speaker, but the warmup thing makes me think it is a tube.

Lastly, there could be a connection in the circuit or a cracked trace on a PCB that expands with heat and the problem becomes evident. That kind of problem can be very hard to track down.

I don't believe the Vypyr has anything but power valves. The preamp section is entirely solid state according to the specs I have read.
^ The Vypyr tube 60 and 120 have 1 preamp tube as a phase inverter but you're right otherwise, the rest is solid state 'transtube' technology.

JoyBoy - my guess would be that you need a firmware upgrade or a unit replacement. Contact Peavey, use your warranty, or post your problem on the Vypyr subforum at peavey.com