Hey guys, i currently have a Line 6 Spider 4 15w and im thinking about upgrading my rig by buying a good tube amp...my first tube amp

i have budget of 1000$USD, i play almost every genre (rock, blues, metal, jazz, funk etc.) and im looking for a amp thats easily transportable and can be played in the bedroom and at a band practice....

i was thinking either the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18, when it comes out...

or the traynor darkhorse "bundle set"
http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_darkhorse_bundle.htm
that is, if Thoman ships to the U.S., because ive never used the site before

I know several brands, but i dont know the ones that are usually a bit better than others...but i've NEVER heard a bad thing about Traynor or Hughes and Kettner

thanks
what about that new carvin v3 in the lunchbox headshell?

I haven't tried any carvins, but I think it's meant to be versatile and it is portable. might be worth considering, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i've heard of them, supposedly they are extremely versatile, which is good...if i can find a site that sells them i'd look into it more, but i cant seem to do that...musiciansfriend is picky about the brands they sell....
ah ok. yeah a lot of the carvin stuff is sold direct, isn't it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no, most of it isnt. For some reason i cant find a single site that sells them. Unless i go straight to carvin and try to see whether or not they are able to ship...

it does look amazing nonetheless, but i'd rather buy it from a online site instead of heaping out another 200$-350$ at a local shop
I would recommend a used fender twin reverb. Sounds amazing for everything you listed except metal, in which case you could just throw a couple pedals in front
You're not ordering a 2x12 from Europe. The idiocy of that is astounding - because shipping will be well over $100.

Not to mention 561 English pounds is over your budget (or is that in Euros?)

Go back to shopping stateside man! You aren't going to find any deal from Europe thats cheaper after shipping.
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
I would recommend a used fender twin reverb. Sounds amazing for everything you listed except metal, in which case you could just throw a couple pedals in front

is there a pedal that can make it weigh 1/3 of what it does?

he needs something portable.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

If it's really that big of a problem, TS can buy a cheap dolly. A small price to pay for an outstanding amp. Lugging around a 2x12 isn't that hard anyway
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
You're not ordering a 2x12 from Europe. The idiocy of that is astounding - because shipping will be well over $100.

Not to mention 561 English pounds is over your budget (or is that in Euros?)

Go back to shopping stateside man! You aren't going to find any deal from Europe thats cheaper after shipping.

you wanna know whats idiotic, and retarded? how i cant find a single site that sells these amps...

Musiciansfriend is f*ckin picky as HELL when it comes to the stuff they sell...no Carvins, no Bugera (they have the V22, and the bc30-212, but thats basically it), no Traynor, no Laney etc...they only sell extremely signature stuff (Vox, Orange, Marshall, Peavey etc.)

i've heard of sweetwater and samash, but ive never once did buisiness with them, so im not completely sure whether to trust them or not...atleast with musiciansfriend im garenteed a full refund if it comes in broke

EDIT:
its in euro's...not pounds, so it does remain in budget...but i see your point

EDIT:
lol, ya i can lug around a 2x12...so long as it stays under roughly 70lbs because of my back (im 47 lol)
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Apr 19, 2011,
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

lol, i've heard the bugera 333xl is one of the best amps out there...is it good quality? i've also heard they break easy
i got mine after the whole melting clip fiasco so thats all good, its great just need money for more important things

a plastic piece on the high gain input broke but its nothing of importance, it can glue back on in 2 seconds im just lazy, i still have it ill just glue it back on for whoever buys it xD

but its a legit offer from north florida if you are interested in saving a buck

it comes with the vintages 30s, and a spidervalve mki amp section from a spidervalve 212 can come for a little extra, i have it sitting on top an switch between the two they both work fine

edit again, oh and the footswitch for the bugera too
Last edited by effyeahjade at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by effyeahjade
i got mine after the whole melting clip fiasco so thats all good, its great just need money for more important things

a plastic piece on the high gain input broke but its nothing of importance, it can glue back on in 2 seconds im just lazy, i still have it ill just glue it back on for whoever buys it xD

but its a legit offer from north florida if you are interested in saving a buck

it comes with the vintages 30s, and a spidervalve mki amp section from a spidervalve 212 can come for a little extra, i have it sitting on top an switch between the two they both work fine

edit again, oh and the footswitch for the bugera too

give me your email address or something, or email me at Vintage_Musician@yahoo.com

i might buy it...of course, i cant go to florida, because i live in KY, so you'd have to ship it...
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
If it's really that big of a problem, TS can buy a cheap dolly. A small price to pay for an outstanding amp. Lugging around a 2x12 isn't that hard anyway

well that and it's voiced completely wrong for metal.

shoving a pedal in front of a twin for metal isn't optimal, it's a joke.

TS - nothing says bedroom and portable like a 63 pound bugera 120 watt amp.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 19, 2011,
k, if the price matches and its not completely broken...and a few other things...i'd possibly buy it
Quote by gregs1020
well that and it's voiced completely wrong for metal.

shoving a pedal in front of a twin for metal isn't optimal, it's a joke.

TS - nothing says bedroom and portable like a 63 pound bugera 120 watt amp.

lol i know...im not 100% sure whether or not i want it, im still debating whether or not i do...

i see where your coming from, because 120w would probably blow my ears and my windows out lol...
it's about the last amp i'd rec in this situation.

no i take that back, the twin reverb was. this was second.

check out a vypyr tube combo.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 19, 2011,
ok what would you recommend?

EDIT:
really? the vypyr tube? i didnt see that coming...of all the great tube amps out there thats the one you'd recommend thats under 1000$?
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
ok what would you recommend?

EDIT:
really? the vypyr tube? i didnt see that coming...of all the great tube amps out there thats the one you'd recommend thats under 1000$?

well let's see.

going based on the following?
needs to cover almost every genre
easily portable
bedroom friendly

i didn't think it's all that portable but if you are up for a 63 pound bugera, then the vypyr is def in.

but it really depends on what you consider metal. you are only a few years older than me and i have a different opinion of what it is than most people on this site. i'm speculating you may as well. some consider ac/dc as metal, others say black sabbath isn't, others say metallica isn't really metal. others think you have to have the cookie monster singing. see my point?

at the $1000 range, what city are you nearest in KY? or are used amps out of the question?

i mean a used line 6 flextone would be a good option, but you want a tube amp. fair enough, a used JSX would probably work. or a Genz Benz black pearl 30. (may be over budget by a little but great amp).
The nearest city in Ky is Louisville...used amps arent out of the question...but honestly, i'd rather buy a new one if im spending that much money.

and just to help
i see Ac/Dc as classic rock
i see Black Sabbath as Metal
i see Metallica as Thrash Metal

but to sing most HEAVY metal or death metal...you have to sound like the cookie monster...

honestly i prefer Ac/dc and metallica...those are two of my favorite bands

EDIT: The reason i was kinda surprised was because i hear ALOT of mixed reviews about the Vypyr tubes...some people say they are the best modelling amps on the market while others say they sound as solid state and digital as Autotune

EDIT: and yes...a used Peavey JSX in good condition under 1000$ would be GREAT...if i could find one

EDIT: So, when you say Vypyr, do you mean this? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-VYPYR-100-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482911

or this?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482912
ill just say this....at 15w, i VERY RARELY EVER turn my amp up past 4 in my bedroom...but at 8 or so, i can play over my drummer....

i was actually considering a Peavey Classic 30 because it seemed good...but now im drifting back between the Carvin V3m whenever it comes out and a few other random various amps
http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2328089133.html alchemist head, $600.
would need a cab. good head, should do what you want.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2314470748.html H&K edition tube, had one, great portable amp, 20 watts, 2 channels etc. cheap, $400. may or may not have the clean headroom for gig with no mics depending on what you need for cleans.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2313863806.html blackstar ht40, $550. should do everything you want. newer model amp.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2282050682.html jcm2000 60 watt, 112 combo. should do everything you want, $550.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2276522245.html crate vc3112, $350. get this too just for grins, great little rock amp.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2330466779.html crate vc5112, 50 watts, british tone, lol at the tolex, $200.

there is also a xxx head and a jsx head for $600 and $850.

new you could probably get a blackstar ht40, bugera something (hold out for the sherbert maybe not), or something i'm completely forgetting.

maybe an egnater renegade combo, thats another thought for new.
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
no, most of it isnt. For some reason i cant find a single site that sells them. Unless i go straight to carvin and try to see whether or not they are able to ship...

it does look amazing nonetheless, but i'd rather buy it from a online site instead of heaping out another 200$-350$ at a local shop

ah ok
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020

ahahahahahaha awesome

sigged
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
k thanks for the craigslist post. im lookin at all of them right now

EDIT: Is the blackstar ht-40 good? i keep hearing mixed reviews
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Apr 20, 2011,
^^

Quote by B.C. RICH5000
k thanks for the craigslist post. im lookin at all of them right now

EDIT: Is the blackstar ht-40 good? i keep hearing mixed reviews

the one i tried in the store was a bit harsh on some of the gain. i got the feeling once the speaker was broken in it would really shine. it's one you have to try. modern voiced british tones.

the alchemist is a nice head for $550, talk to that guy. you could score a decent 212 avatar cab for $300 used. that leaves an extra $150 towards that strat.

also a rebel 30 head from egnater and a 112 or 212 cab would work, and maybe be a little more portable.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 20, 2011,
alright...i've heard the alchemist is a really good amp as well, but i know absolutely nothing about Bogner, so i would have to look into it...

From what i've seen in various sites, the Blackstar HT-40 is a good amp after it gets broken in, like you said.....so i could go outside, turn it up to about 9 or so and just play the bloody hell out of it for 30 minutes or so to try and break it it
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
alright...i've heard the alchemist is a really good amp as well, but i know absolutely nothing about Bogner, so i would have to look into it...

From what i've seen in various sites, the Blackstar HT-40 is a good amp after it gets broken in, like you said.....so i could go outside, turn it up to about 9 or so and just play the bloody hell out of it for 30 minutes or so to try and break it it

more like 20 hours, but yea that's a good way to do it.