What tempo should I start sweep picking? I'm trying this shape (Or maybe it's to low to be swept cleanly?)

|------

possible to be swept or is it to low? Also.. Where should my palm go to mute the strings? Should I start at a tempo of 60 BPM or 30 Bpm?
as slow as you have to go to do it cleanly and accurately
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hi buddy

This isn't too low to sweep at all. I'd recommend starting at the slowest speed you can play it without any notes ringing out. Practice this speed with a metronome and then increase the bpm once you've mastered the slower speeds. This is the best way to practice difficult sweeps remember - get the technique down first then speed will follow.

Regarding palm muting you could try muting with your picking hand as you sweeping through to stop ringing out; or mute with adjacent fingers in the fretting hand which ever way is more comfortable - I personally use a mixture of both depending on the appegio postions.

Hope that helps, best of luck

M
Try using simpler sweeps, higher up the neck on the higher strings to start out with. Simple 'shapes' (though they really are arpeggio's) like these:

(G major)

---7-10p7---
--8------8--
-7--------7-
------------
------------
------------

(G-minor)

---6-10p6---
--8------8--
-7--------7-
------------
------------
------------

Start out very slow and clean and make sure every note is of equal length. Maken sure every note rings out for the full duration but no two notes should be playing at the same time. You DO NOT palm mute sweeps, you can mute them however you want, with right or left hand (I'd recommend left mostly, with a combination of palm muting), but you shouldn't mute the whole sweep.

Good luck.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by steven seagull

What if I can't do it cleanly at all? O_o Like... I go down lower on the neck and its easier... but MY guitar (I've been using guitar centers) is not playable past the fifth fret because it's neck is severely bowed) and the first 3 frets just seem really hard to sweep...
the root, dim 5th, root, minor 3rd, and 5th?
uhhh.. dont do that shape
Try easy ones like
|-------9---12--------7--12-----------8---12
|---10--------------8--------------10---------
|-9---------------9-------------9--------------
|-------------------------------------------------
|---------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------------------------
do each one up and down.
Go at whatever speed you can do it cleanly
Quote by NextDimebagDarr
What if I can't do it cleanly at all? O_o Like... I go down lower on the neck and its easier... but MY guitar (I've been using guitar centers) is not playable past the fifth fret because it's neck is severely bowed) and the first 3 frets just seem really hard to sweep...

There's no way you can't play it cleanly, it just might be a snail's pace.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by JOE_DESTROYER
the root, dim 5th, root, minor 3rd, and 5th?
uhhh.. dont do that shape
Try easy ones like
|-------9---12--------7--12-----------8---12
|---10--------------8--------------10---------
|-9---------------9-------------9--------------
|-------------------------------------------------
|---------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------------------------
do each one up and down.
Go at whatever speed you can do it cleanly

Can you explain what a "root", "diminished 5th", "root" "minor 3rd", and "5th" is? >.< I need music theory... and thanks for those.

EDIT: Maybe a good site fer music theory?
Last edited by NextDimebagDarr at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by RDSElite
Try using simpler sweeps, higher up the neck on the higher strings to start out with. Simple 'shapes' (though they really are arpeggio's) like these:

(G major)

---7-10p7---
--8------8--
-7--------7-
------------
------------
------------

(G-minor)

---6-10p6---
--8------8--
-7--------7-
------------
------------
------------

Start out very slow and clean and make sure every note is of equal length. Maken sure every note rings out for the full duration but no two notes should be playing at the same time. You DO NOT palm mute sweeps, you can mute them however you want, with right or left hand (I'd recommend left mostly, with a combination of palm muting), but you shouldn't mute the whole sweep.

Good luck.

Thanks you.. I've beeen trying both (MOSTLY left handed though..). How hard to i press teh strings to begin with?
Quote by steven seagull

This.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
3 string triads are the best thing to start with when learing how to sweep. Do them as slowly as it takes to get them down, even if it's 1 not per second. If you learn to play them fast but uneven or not cleanly you'll be no better than if you couldn't play them at all. Since most sweep patterns aren't used below the 7th or 8th fret on the lower strings I woulnd't suggest you use the one you posted without moving it up the neck a bit.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
3 string triads are the best thing to start with when learing how to sweep. Do them as slowly as it takes to get them down, even if it's 1 not per second. If you learn to play them fast but uneven or not cleanly you'll be no better than if you couldn't play them at all. Since most sweep patterns aren't used below the 7th or 8th fret on the lower strings I woulnd't suggest you use the one you posted without moving it up the neck a bit.

This bit of advice is impossible, unfortunatly. My guitar neck is bowed and only frets 1-3 are usable on all strings. frets up to 12 work on low E striing and all frets wrok on B string. that's all I have to work with. so would

be a better one?
Quote by NextDimebagDarr
This bit of advice is impossible, unfortunatly. My guitar neck is bowed and only frets 1-3 are usable on all strings. frets up to 12 work on low E striing and all frets wrok on B string. that's all I have to work with. so would

be a better one?

On the highest three strings, yes. Add an A on the high E-string as well, as in my example. I'd highly suggest you get a different or a new guitar though. You can't really practise on that..
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
On the highest three strings, yes. Add an A on the high E-string as well, as in my example. I'd highly suggest you get a different or a new guitar though. You can't really practise on that..

YeAH... I should be getting a Dean Dimebag Razorback Killswitch soon! (:

PS: I keep it tuned to drop D. Always. XD so sorry if that confused you.

EDIT: I use it to practice tapping (yeah it's only on the B string, but eh... (Oh and I can actually make some brutal riffs with the first 3 frets :p I've been using mostly open palm mutes and closed chords :P )
If yore guitar isn't playable past the fifth fret, you've got bigger problems than learning how to sweep pick.
Quote by thrashdeth
If yore guitar isn't playable past the fifth fret, you've got bigger problems than learning how to sweep pick.

Naww. I got a new guitar, and I knew I would. (B.C. Rich Warlock)

Sweep picking was my biggest problem :p so ha xP
Maybe you should get a properly functioning instrument before learning advanced techniques... the chances are you'll have to re-learn and readjust with the new guitar anyway.

And start of with a shape that's useful, learning a sweep like that seems almost non-applicable to any music (i say almost... cause anything's possible in music )

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
find a position on the fret board that feels good for your hand and finger size. the shape your using is kinda odd for starting out try some pentatonic shapes or something familar. go slow and use good muting skills for clarity, also try messing around with different tones. it may take a while for you to get it, you have to start very slow like 60 or 80 bmp maybe even slower. also i cannot stress this enough get the right pick for the job sometimes more flexible pick work better for sweeping, ive gotten use to using dunlop big or little stubbys but i wouldnt recomend it for begenning sweep picking
Quote by mtg187
find a position on the fret board that feels good for your hand and finger size. the shape your using is kinda odd for starting out try some pentatonic shapes or something familar. go slow and use good muting skills for clarity, also try messing around with different tones. it may take a while for you to get it, you have to start very slow like 60 or 80 bmp maybe even slower. also i cannot stress this enough get the right pick for the job sometimes more flexible pick work better for sweeping, ive gotten use to using dunlop big or little stubbys but i wouldnt recomend it for begenning sweep picking

I find bigger picks glide through the strings easier... well my V-Pick does anyway...
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Lower string sweeps require more palm muting to keep them clean. Don't know if it's the way my 7 string is, but I swear I have to palm mute the crap out of the lower string sweeps (then they come out awesome), they seem to make other strings ring out like nuts... probably the FR though. The higher and lower string sweeps requires the same technique but a slight twist.

UNFORTUNATELY since sweeping is such a bitch technique that will throw everything off. I recommend doing 3 string sweeps on the higher strings first, as they're pretty easy.

Also, don't try sweeping on the bigger frets (1 through 5) until you're comfortable higher up the neck. I mean, you can... but there's a high possibility of excess strain down there. I always make sure I can do it between 7-12 before I go to the extremes (0-6 and 19+)
everyones hands are different. watch some youtube videos.

for some reason, i found these 5 string sweep patterns a little easier to play cleanly than the 3 string patterns as i was learning
Minor
------------8-12-8----------
---------10--------10-------
-------9--------------9-----
----10-----------------10---
-12----------------------12-
----------------------------
Major
----------7-10-7----------
--------8--------8--------
------7------------7------
----9----------------9----
-10--------------------10-
--------------------------
Diminished
-------------10-13-10-------------
----------12----------12----------
-------10----------------10-------
----12----------------------12----
-14----------------------------14-
----------------------------------
Last edited by Ifex at Apr 30, 2011,
I, too, found 5 string sweeps a lot easier play at first. It is better practice, since you have to practice everything for an extra two strings. I'd actually recommend learning sweep picking over five strings first, since the standard arpeggios are easy shapes in standard tuning and it isn't as detrimental to make exaggerated motions while practicing (which I think is an important part of learning to do a new technique).