Page 1 of 2
I got an "american" fender neck the other day from a guy on gumtree. He seemed nice enough, but having had a proper look at it, the logo is a decal. You can even run your fingers over it and there's an obvious raise. The teles I have played are smooth. The lettering looks suspicious at best, and most of all, the neck isn't even Tele sized. It fits initially into the neck pocket but runs off at a curve to one side. The strings don't go straight across it, and the intonation is terrible.

So what can I do about this? I'm going to ask for a refund but I doubt I will get one. Is that it? Do I just move on and learn from it?
move 1: e-mail him and state clearly what you expected (with quotes from the advert) and how it differs from what you got. Ask him if it was a genuine mistake and if he is able to offer a refund/replacement

move 2: if he says no
- How did you pay?
- - by paypal or credit card => lodge it with your bank/paypal
- - by debit card/cheque - keep all relevant statements inform your bank, but don't expect them to do anything about it
- - by cash - stop thinking about it you're screwed

move 3:
a) leave it - there is almost nothing you can do
b) call a lawyer - invoke the trade descriptions act - prepare to pay more in legal fees than you can ever hope to recover if on the small amount of evidence you have you can prove your case (doubtful)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Live and learn... but personaly, I would put up a little fight with the guy.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Well, I actually picked it up from his house. I paid in cash. I guess I am screwed unless I go round there with a baseball bat...which I am not really inclined to do.
go round with the neck, and beat him with it, then take a friends tele and compare the necks, show him your not a noob on this stuff, and he'll quake in fear and give you anything you want
i'm Ginger its fun
I'll shoot him an email right now. My main concern is that he is a victim in this just as much as I am, he could well not have known.

Saying that, though, the guy had a Marshall JCM 800 and several expensive guitars, including some strats. I don't see ihow it is honestly possible that he wasn't aware as what he was doing.
One question guys - if there is no serial number on this neck..does that make it definitely a fake? I'm already convinced it's fake, but I'd like to make a point in the email if that is the case.

Would a replacement neck direct from fender have a serial number? Do they even sell "fender" necks as replacements?
Get in contact with him. Fake or not, the neck you bought sounds crappy. If he's a decent bloke, hell give you a refund for what you bought. If he isn't a decent guy and stops contacting you you can go round his house.

If it doesn't have a serial number it isn't legit. (To my knowledge)
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Damn this is depressing. I am in the process of sending an email now. The neck also doesn't have a skunk stripe...Is this another thing that would occur on all fenders usually?
Quote by kaneorsomething
Damn this is depressing. I am in the process of sending an email now. The neck also doesn't have a skunk stripe...Is this another thing that would occur on all fenders usually?

Most all of the Fenders I've seen have a Skunk Stripe on the neck. It would be unusual if I saw one without one.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
I sent the guy an email. I'm sure I won't see the money again. Now I need to find some way of getting a guitar.
it sounds like it could be real to me. fender decals are decals and not painted on. i've never seen a painted fender logo.

also depending on the year, it may or may not have a serial number. some were on the neck plate, depending on year.

pics would help a lot, so post some.

it also sounds like it needs to be humidified.

fender ( and most maple necks ) can do some strange stuff. i've actually heard some interesting stories of how to straighten necks.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by kaneorsomething
One question guys - if there is no serial number on this neck..does that make it definitely a fake? I'm already convinced it's fake, but I'd like to make a point in the email if that is the case.

Would a replacement neck direct from fender have a serial number? Do they even sell "fender" necks as replacements?

the sticker is a waterslide which is what fender uses (which sucks as forging them isn't that hard. fender does license place like warmouth and mighty mite that do replacement parts so they can copy a fender neck headstock and all. these don't have the decal though. no serial number is a problem. newer fenders (1987-current) have the # on either the front or back of the headstock. older ones are on the neckplates (there are some exceptions which makes things tough sometimes).

pics would help to determine what you have.
Quote by kaneorsomething
. He seemed nice enough

How many date rape victims started the night thinking that
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
The first picture shows off-centre screwholes. No Serial.

The headstock. Wrong sizing, the lettering looks terrible, and there is a PHYSICAL BUMP on the writing. I could pick it off if I wanted to.
Quote by kaneorsomething
Getting pics now.

please make sure to photo the heel.

seeing pics the headstock shape is odd.

can you shoot the truss rod nut?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 19, 2011,
Oh Greg you know its fake.

Sorry TS.

Looks like you got screwed over.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I hate to say it but yes you did get ripped off. There should be a skunk stripe. Only Fender necks that I know that has no skunk stripe are some of the 1970's necks. And that is no 1970's neck, it looks new. Another thing I see is the wood grain, that neck has the cheap wood grain that I see on squiers. Also if you feel a raise and see a raise when you raise it to the light, it is a decal. How do I know? Because I have made Custom builds in the past and I made my own waterslide decals (not Fender, my own)...so I do have experience using decals on these.

More than likely the guy took a Squier neck and put a Fender decal on it.
im not really a fender guy but to me that headstock logo looks all wrong.......
It also looks like he took a Squier Bullet Strat neck and reshaped the headstock into a Tele style. Bullet strats have that exact truss rod hole and spotty wood grain.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh Greg you know its fake.

sure it is. it's been sanded off at the heel to hide the true mfg.

but it's not unusable.

i hope you didn't pay a lot for it TS. there are good replacement fender necks, mighty mite, warmoth etc.

there is nothing special about a Fender USA neck imo. usually people that are buying them are trying to flip a mexi for a USA model.

if you just want to get it playable, fill the holes and redrill them in the correct places.
People make me angry sometimes. TS, I'm sorry this happened to you, but it will make you a better/smarter shopper in the long run!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
I was so excited to make my guitar playable again that I ignored signs that I was being a moron. I'll be more careful next time. The annoying thing is that I'm unlikely to be very trusting in future transactions because a few people want to make a quick £ by ripping off people who just want to play their ****ing instruments.

It's upsetting. Thanks for all your comments.
I know the feeling mate.

I hope you didnt loose too much money on it.

What is it you need to fix? Maybe we can help you source something more reputable.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah gotta be careful when you buy anything Fender these days, unless its new. Because Fender decals are VERY easy to mock, all you need is a printer and a computer to do it. I suspect that is a Squier Bullet Strat neck with a reshaped headstock and Fender decals.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better but the Squier Bullet Strat necks actually play really good once you get it aligned correctly. I don't know wether youre gonna keep it or not.
Last edited by Goat Head Stew at Apr 19, 2011,
I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but why would you buy that after seeing it? It looks really bad.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by unicornfist
I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but why would you buy that after seeing it? It looks really bad.

If you want my honest answer, I've never owned an expensive guitar and the fact it was heftier than my other, "cheaper" neck made me think it was legitimate.

The thing I need to fix is...pretty much my whole guitar. I have an old squier that I've been trying and trying to keep working so I had something to play. I also have another tele body (which is definitely the correct fender dimensions),but that has barely anything on it.

What I really need is a new guitar, but I don't have the cash for that, so I try and source cheap parts. I am pretty much the perfect target for a fender faker.
Quote by kaneorsomething
If you want my honest answer, I've never owned an expensive guitar and the fact it was heftier than my other, "cheaper" neck made me think it was legitimate.

The thing I need to fix is...pretty much my whole guitar. I have an old squier that I've been trying and trying to keep working so I had something to play. I also have another tele body (which is definitely the correct fender dimensions),but that has barely anything on it.

What I really need is a new guitar, but I don't have the cash for that, so I try and source cheap parts. I am pretty much the perfect target for a fender faker.

I am sure thats a bullet strat neck because you said its heavy, they are heavy. You can still make it work. Take some toothpicks and some wood glue and fill those holes. Realign, redrill new holes and you should be good to go.
Quote by Goat Head Stew
I hate to say it but yes you did get ripped off. There should be a skunk stripe. Only Fender necks that I know that has no skunk stripe are some of the 1970's necks. And that is no 1970's neck, it looks new. Another thing I see is the wood grain, that neck has the cheap wood grain that I see on squiers. Also if you feel a raise and see a raise when you raise it to the light, it is a decal. How do I know? Because I have made Custom builds in the past and I made my own waterslide decals (not Fender, my own)...so I do have experience using decals on these.

More than likely the guy took a Squier neck and put a Fender decal on it.

60's Fenders don't have the skunk stripe

Did it actually have pictures of that neck or just generic Fender ones?

If your looking for a cheap neck to go with a cheap body, don't go all the way out for a geniune Fender neck, it'll just basically cost around £150-£300, which isn't that cheap.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by kaneorsomething
I'll shoot him an email right now. My main concern is that he is a victim in this just as much as I am, he could well not have known.

Saying that, though, the guy had a Marshall JCM 800 and several expensive guitars, including some strats. I don't see ihow it is honestly possible that he wasn't aware as what he was doing.

i was scrolling down the thread reading, and someone was like "bring a baseball bat etc"

then i saw "I'll shoot him..."

and i was like HOLY S***
i'm sure it's a usable neck.

fill the holes, mark and redrill once it's dry. the nut slots look to be placed correctly.
Quote by Lil Macker
60's Fenders don't have the skunk stripe

Did it actually have pictures of that neck or just generic Fender ones?

If your looking for a cheap neck to go with a cheap body, don't go all the way out for a geniune Fender neck, it'll just basically cost around £150-£300, which isn't that cheap.

And some 1970's ones dont have them either. I know my Fenders man.
TS, take two friends and head over to his house. straight up tell him he knew it was a fake, and you didnt have the time to check on the spot or something. but you NEED your money back. As long as youre in a group of three I dont see him doing anything stupid and risking his gear being stolen after he gets his ass beat.

THAT is the only way in hell youre going to get your money back, confrontation. Not necessarily violent confrontation but you have to make yourself understood.
Quote by Goat Head Stew
And some 1970's ones dont have them either. I know my Fenders man.

Are you sure? I've only seen ones with the skunk stripe from the 70s, unless there was some in the early 70s without? I dunno.

Cam Sampbell's my hero
Page 1 of 2