So I sent my guitar out for its first setup in 4 years a month ago. I noticed that the action was super low...sexy low. But the strings had a small amount of buzz which I found annoying.

Last night I changed strings to a sweet custom guage (10-50) and did a full setup.

Cost me $7 in strings, and 30 minutes of my time and I did a better job than the guy did at the store for $40.

Just wanted to brag about my l33t t3ch skillz br0z.
Had this aswell, my store guy set the thin up way to high, its sucked.
I reset it literally in the store with his tools, no shitting.
It was awesome after that, even he admintted, claiming he didn't know "I was going for such a low action".

if you know what you are doing you may never pay for a set up again.

fret dress and leveling is another whole story brah.
Same old story.
It's not a hard thing to do, but it is unnerving to newcomers. That is why people pay to get it done.
Quote by gregs1020
if you know what you are doing you may never pay for a set up again.

fret dress and leveling is another whole story brah.

That sort of was why I took it to him in the first place - I figured for $40 they'd at least take a level to the frets, bro. Not that My EC-1000 has ever had any problems, but some TLC is always nice.

But no bro - I just got a completely straightened truss rod on the neck and restrung basically. Jerkoffs. First and last setup I ever get, I think, bro.

EDIT: Bro.

I paid once, but after I found out what they actually did... I was like eff that ess.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Quote by brandon2784
I paid once, but after I found out what they actually did... I was like eff that ess.

Exactly, I figured a setup included fret dress, tightening all the screws and stuff. They didn't even lock my bridge or tighten up my input jack.
well bro.

most set ups don't include fret dress or leveling. bro.

how off was your intonation after the "pro" set up bro?

they didn't even check it did they? no.
Quote by gregs1020
well bro.

most set ups don't include fret dress or leveling. bro.

how off was your intonation after the "pro" set up bro?

they didn't even check it did they? no.

I don't think they even really looked at bro. What a hackjob huh?
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
I don't think they even really looked at bro. What a hackjob huh?

you got hosed.

but at least you can do it yourself now. so in the end the money was well spent, you learned something.

being able to set up stuff yourself is a huge help.

after doing a full set up on one of my guitars only a month ago, i changed strings and went to heavy cores and a couple of my strings weren't intonating properly afterwards.

it's simple stuff, but if someone doesn't know how to do it, i can see it being a huge issue for them.
It's not that its hard - most of the time its a laze factor. I have locking tuners on all my guitars now so that knocks out 10 mins right there
I got mine setup for free when I got my new guitar, it has a Floyd Rose on it so I wasn't sure how to set it up. I thought he did a good job but a couple months later I realized... Floyd Roses aren't supposed to be at an angle towards the body!
I fixed that about a month ago. It's flat but I have to buy an Intonation Tool for the Floyd Rose. It makes it easier and I'd rather not spend a couple hours doing it the traditional way.

You get what you paid for, and I paid nothing. I even got the strings free!(Friends with the store owner.)
..I was watching my death.