d'ose weirdos in the building and customizing couldn't help, so I came over here.
How many of you guys have coated a fretless with epoxy?
How much epoxy did you need?
Can crazy glue substitute marine epoxy?
How did you keep the edges smooth?
Thanks.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Apr 19, 2011,
cant help you with the epoxy or crazy clue but i actually used some varnish i had laying around on mine and then lightly sanded. Turned out pretty well.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
I built a fretless guitar and I didn't put anything on the fretboard. (I'm guessing that is what you are asking for) I instead use flatwound strings and I don't have any fretboard damage. Just another possible solution.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/D%27Addario-ECB82-Chromes-Flatwound-Medium-Bass-Strings?sku=100363
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Last edited by HowToFly at Apr 19, 2011,
I have, they key is to take it slow and do lots of thin coats rather than one big sloppy coat. This means using a wide brush and putting a tiny amount so there isn't enough to 'flow' and spoil the surface. If you do

IMPORTANT: Do this in a dust free room. Words cannot describe how tedious it is to find the epoxy/varnish with crap stuck in it from the air.
Quote by Spaz91
I have, they key is to take it slow and do lots of thin coats rather than one big sloppy coat. This means using a wide brush and putting a tiny amount so there isn't enough to 'flow' and spoil the surface. If you do

IMPORTANT: Do this in a dust free room. Words cannot describe how tedious it is to find the epoxy/varnish with crap stuck in it from the air.

this.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Marine epoxy would be a good choice for fretboard protection, that's the Jaco route anyway. I used a clear poly finish over the fretboard when I de-fretted my Ibanez and it worked quite well, I'd go with one of those, but definitely not glue.

Like Spaz said, the key is thin even coats. If you go with poly, you can get it in spray can form which makes it much easier to work with.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
how tough is poly? I wanna use rounds, so harder is better...
EDIT: Waaaiiitt a second. I saw a thread on mylar on talkbass... Where do you get it and how thick should I get it?
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Apr 19, 2011,
Poly is pretty damn tough, its the same stuff that clear coats your bass (unless you have an old nitro finish), it can scuff, but it won't wear through any time soon.

As for Mylar, isn't it a filmy thing, like really strong cellophane? It sounds like it would be more trouble then its worth to attach it and make sure its smooth and everything, when you can just get something easy to spray or brush on and sand like poly or epoxy.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass