The song is 'Changes' by Stars
The chords are G,Em,C,D
Its played with a capo on the 3rd fret.

Whats scale do I use to solo over these chords? I dont understand how to work out the key of the song.

Im playing at open mic night for the first time this thursday with my friend, I dont just want to sit there and play the same chords as her while she sings so im hoping I can improvise over the top of this at some points in the song.

Any pointers?
G = G B D
Em = E G B
C = C E G
D = D F# A

Scale notes = A B C D E F# G = probably E minor or G major - you can tell which by whether it resolves to an E or G

DO you know how to get notes from chords (i.e how to work out Cm = C Eb G etc.)?
If not - learn that and the rest'll slot in
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by theking4everr
Key of G major my friend.Improvise with G major scale or C#minor.

wtf...how, exactly, did you arrive at the second one?

[EDIT] ok, that makes at least some sense but it's still not a case of either/or...where the progression resolves to will determine which of those two scales that group of notes will function as. Looks more likely to be G major to me, but without hearing it it's hard to be certain.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
actually, it HAS to be G major because that progression ends with D and starts with G so it will definitely resolve to G(perfect cadence) and not Em. Not to start a shitstorm but just pointing out
^

With the Capo on the 3rd fret it's actually Bb Major. But you're right about the progression clearly pointing to a Major key, and nothing else. I vi IV V.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by seanchief2112
magic. Thanks alot guys

Read the answers again mate, only Munky was correct. The rest ignored the capo.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yes a few people overlooked the capo at the 3rd fret. It's clearly Bb major as it's a I - vi - IV - V progression.

6th fret = Bb = G chord shape
Quote by Play_It_Loud
Yes a few people overlooked the capo at the 3rd fret. It's clearly Bb major as it's a I - vi - IV - V progression.

6th fret = Bb = G chord shape

TS didn't say G chord shape. He said G chord so capo makes no difference. Everyone assumed that if the capo is placed on the 3rd fret, then TS is playing G chord like this- 0 2 2 1 0 0(relative to the capo)
Last edited by dhruvrajvanshi at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
TS didn't say G chord shape. He said G chord so capo makes no difference. Everyone assumed that if the capo is placed on the 3rd fret, then TS is playing G chord like this- 0 2 2 1 0 0(relative to the capo)

Touché!

But I think that it's still in Bb major, otherwise the TS wouldn't have mentioned the capo at all if you catch my drift.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i also find it unlikely that you would use a capo if your desired progression was G, Em, C, D so its gonna be BbMaj
Quote by AlanHB
Touché!

But I think that it's still in Bb major, otherwise the TS wouldn't have mentioned the capo at all if you catch my drift.

I see your point. Well if TS is calling a Bb G when capo is on the third fret, then he will call Bb major scale a G major scale. Problem solved
Why dont we just ask him? TS, tell us the exact frets you're playing for the first chord?
Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
I see your point. Well if TS is calling a Bb G when capo is on the third fret, then he will call Bb major scale a G major scale. Problem solved
Why dont we just ask him? TS, tell us the exact frets you're playing for the first chord?

the capos on the other guitar tho so not really