I've been playing guitar for a few months now and I'm starting to mess around with recording stuff. I'm using an Ibanez AEF18 electric acoustic with an Apogee recording interface connected to GarageBand. I don't know that much about audio software and I'm having trouble getting the guitar to sound natural when recorded. It sounds very electronic and fake. Any suggestions?
i find acoustic eletrics sound the most natural through an acoustic amp or a tube amp
but for recording i prefer to just use a microphone ive never gottan a more natural sound than that

but then again most of my gear kinda sucks
yea try using an acoustic amp sim for recording? or failing that it may be time to invest in an instrument mic!
Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
use a good microphone for recording.

+1
Do you love Alice In Chains and Metallica? How about Tool and Velvet Revolver?...then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in awhile...-->The Liberty Underground<--
how does a real guitar sound electronic and fake?

heres my method which works well enough i guess

1 mic 6-8 inches away from soundhole, off center and angled to the sound hole (that is not pointed straight at it)

1 mic 4-6 inches away from 12th fret, angled to the fret

1 line in for pickup system

record each mic/line to its own track

pan the mic's left and right and bring up the pickup'ed section until it fills out the sound without being overpowered
Quote by z4twenny
how does a real guitar sound electronic and fake?

play your acoustic guitar- real
play something on guitar pro-fake
just an example
I've never had issues plugging an electro-acoustic directly into a DAW clean via DI, but if that doesn't work just mic it up as you would a typical acoustic.

Also, anyone havea clue what the post above me is on about?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I've never had issues plugging an electro-acoustic directly into a DAW clean via DI, but if that doesn't work just mic it up as you would a typical acoustic.

Yeah I have recorded 2 electro-acoustics (one Ovation and one Ibanez) with a clean direct input into FL Studio and thought it sounded great. Just as good as micing my Alvarez acoustic guitar, without having to worry about ambient noises.
Quote by DisarmGoliath

Also, anyone havea clue what the post above me is on about?

the guy I quoted couldnt see how a guitar could sound fake so I gave him an exaple(real guitar vs midi). What's so confusing?
I've got a pretty nice Taylor that does not sound good di'd. The problem is with those piezo pickups. Not a fan. Mic the guitar instead. Or at least blend a mic in with the di signal.
Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
the guy I quoted couldnt see how a guitar could sound fake so I gave him an exaple(real guitar vs midi). What's so confusing?

That he said how can playing a guitar sound fake... using guitar pro is not playing guitar, so is irrelevant, and the same goes for MIDI-programmed guitars... as they are neither guitars or being physically played.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
if it sounds too fake, it's because of the pickup and besides trying to EQ it, there's not much you can do without miking the guitar.

i'm personally a fan of 2 mics and a DI for acoustics. if you cant swing that, just one mic and a DI. if you cant swing that either, just one mic is better alone than any DI alone.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
That he said how can playing a guitar sound fake... using guitar pro is not playing guitar, so is irrelevant, and the same goes for MIDI-programmed guitars... as they are neither guitars or being physically played.

I was just giving an example of the SOUND. It is better than trying to describe the sound in words. I meant that in TS's problem, his recordings sound something SIMMILAR to a midi track.
Check out some of these guys videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/soundpurestudios

They're really helpful in terms of miking techniques and placement etc. (and plus its just impressive the sound they achieve with no eq or nothing)

I realise they're using the best mic's on the market and some awesome guitars, but at the end of the day - you can't polish a turd.

I recommend miking up an acoustic if you want a natural sound, just hire a couple of condenser mics and see what you can come up with - experimentation is the best part!