Hey I was asked to play bass next year in my church's youth band. I probably won't be getting one until this summer, but I want to kinda have an idea of what to look for. I'm looking into maybe a fenderish kind bass since they are so versitile. I want to know if first if I should get a Squier classic vibe bass or a mim Fender bass. Also, I'm not sure if I should get a Percision bass or a Jazz bass. My budget will be around 3-500 dollars since I'll be getting a job this summer. Outside of church I play almost all kinds of rock. I am willing to go used and if you have any other brand suggestions I'll look into them. I do like the feel of Ibanez basses so they are an option too.

Edit:
I just realized that my title is kinda irrelivent since I don't even have a bass yet... oops.
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar
Last edited by gtrzrule4 at Apr 19, 2011,
Fenders aren't that versatile as you might think, especially the Precision models have a straight forward sound. With a Jazz you do have a versatile instrument to work with. But a Ibanez with two humbuckers can be even more versatile.
If you do choose to get a Fender, I would go for the MIM maybe even try used, it is worth the money and that way you won't end up buying another "New" bass within a year or so.
Four strings or five? The MIM Fenders are fine instruments that will serve you well for many years. You could also look at the offerings from Ibanez. MTD has a number of basses that are selling new at clearance prices in L.A. shops for about $500.00. Schecter makes some good ones in your budget, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I've played the class vibe jazz basses and was extremely impressed in its sound as well as quality. Although I have a Fender Precision and a Stingray I'm looking at he Classic Vibe jazz as my next purchase XD
If you're just starting bass I would highly recommend going Jazz over Precision. I only say this because I find the Jazz to be much more versatile and I think easier to make a Jazz sound like a P than to make a P sound like a Jazz. I bought a P-bass for my first because I only planned on playing rock but then my interests spread out rapidly and I needed something I could play funk and jazz on. Now I like the sound of jazz better for rock to anyway =P

But MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! don't buy online, go spend a day at a guitar store. Don't be afraid to stay there and try a ton of basses. Don't be timid because some jerk next to you is showing off how fast he can play. And try out bass after bass till one speaks to you.

well that was long winded...hope it helps!
Quote by kagendew
I've played the class vibe jazz basses and was extremely impressed in its sound as well as quality. Although I have a Fender Precision and a Stingray I'm looking at he Classic Vibe jazz as my next purchase XD
If you're just starting bass I would highly recommend going Jazz over Precision. I only say this because I find the Jazz to be much more versatile and I think easier to make a Jazz sound like a P than to make a P sound like a Jazz. I bought a P-bass for my first because I only planned on playing rock but then my interests spread out rapidly and I needed something I could play funk and jazz on. Now I like the sound of jazz better for rock to anyway =P

But MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! don't buy online, go spend a day at a guitar store. Don't be afraid to stay there and try a ton of basses. Don't be timid because some jerk next to you is showing off how fast he can play. And try out bass after bass till one speaks to you.

well that was long winded...hope it helps!

Ok thanks. Each time I visit guitar center or another music store I'll be sure to try all of them in my price range and find the tone/feel that I like.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
I too think that you should try out the Jazz... Try out the Squier 70's Modified Jazz Bass. It is quite the machine. I also play in a church band, and this is what I use. I'm also in a metal band, and it holds up well for that too.
I would recommend the Squier VM and CV basses. I own a VM Jazz and its simply fantastic, best bass in the $300 price bracket IMO.

Also, look at Ibanez, in particular the SR and SRX series, I've heard plenty of great things about them - but be cautious as you may not like their very thin necks.

Look second hand too, you might find some great bargains on Fenders, especially MiM. And what other people said, try before you buy, you might find something that we haven't said, but you totally love. I'll let other people handle the Jazz or Precision choice.

Btw, do you need an amp?
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
Quote by bass//player
I would recommend the Squier VM and CV basses. I own a VM Jazz and its simply fantastic, best bass in the $300 price bracket IMO.

Also, look at Ibanez, in particular the SR and SRX series, I've heard plenty of great things about them - but be cautious as you may not like their very thin necks.

Look second hand too, you might find some great bargains on Fenders, especially MiM. And what other people said, try before you buy, you might find something that we haven't said, but you totally love. I'll let other people handle the Jazz or Precision choice.

Btw, do you need an amp?

Ok thanks for the help, and yes I do need an amp. Any suggestions?
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Quote by frankie24
Fenders aren't that versatile as you might think.

Two types of versatile: basses that can create loads and loads of different tones and basses that have a tone that will suite anything. Fenders are the latter, a precision bass will suit any form of music.
Not to hijack the thread, but I've never understood the difference between a p bass and a jazz bass. Could someone explain the diffrence?
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Dean Guitars also has a great Jazz style Hillsboro bass. Retro looking and terrific players. They've been going for under $300. I've played one and it kicks the Squires.
Classic vibe basses in my opinion are just as good or even better then the MIM's once you get it setup its a amazing instrument and a great price.

But if you want a versatile bass and you like ibanez you should look at the SR300 i played a friend of mine and i really liked it felt really good and sounded good, it has a onboard EQ so you can pretty much getting any sound you desire out of it easily.

Quote by hitman_47
Not to hijack the thread, but I've never understood the difference between a p bass and a jazz bass. Could someone explain the diffrence?

A jazz has two single coil pickups and is clean and thin sounding and cuts through the mix better. A p has a split coil humbucker and is warmer and fatter and has a heavier bottom and just sits in the mix nicely. They also have different necks, the jazz has a thin neck and the p has a chunkier neck.

Just youtube them you'll get a fair idea.
Last edited by YaBoiiMizz at Apr 22, 2011,
Also, one more thing. Does anyone know any good bass amps that I could get? I saw a Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800 180w amp today used for $150. Is that a good amp, and is it loud enough for small to medium gigs?
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Woah, I don't think you really want to buy a Behringer amp, they have some notoriety for being of a sub-par quality. Are you setting up a new amp fund? Or is it going to be under your $500 budget?

Either way, I would recommend looking at Acoustic and Kustom and if you want to look second hand, lots of people say to look at Peavey.

For small to medium gigs you might need to extend your budget a little, I'm not sure what the recommended output would be suitable, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking at least 200W so ATM, second hand is looking pretty tasty, and if you look around I'm sure you'll find something good, look at Peavey and probably stay away from Behringer.

Hope this helped

Quote by gtrzrule4
Also, one more thing. Does anyone know any good bass amps that I could get? I saw a Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800 180w amp today used for $150. Is that a good amp, and is it loud enough for small to medium gigs?

Everything Behringer is so bad that its immoral.

Look at Acoustic, they make the best value bass amps in America. Ashdown are the best value in the UK. Remember though, cheap things tend to be cheap for a reason.
Quote by bass//player
Woah, I don't think you really want to buy a Behringer amp, they have some notoriety for being of a sub-par quality. Are you setting up a new amp fund? Or is it going to be under your $500 budget?

Either way, I would recommend looking at Acoustic and Kustom and if you want to look second hand, lots of people say to look at Peavey.

For small to medium gigs you might need to extend your budget a little, I'm not sure what the recommended output would be suitable, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking at least 200W so ATM, second hand is looking pretty tasty, and if you look around I'm sure you'll find something good, look at Peavey and probably stay away from Behringer.

Hope this helped

Ok thanks a lot Man I'm glad I didn't buy that amp. I think I'll just keep an eye on guitar centers used section and look for a decent amp like you suggested. My budgets are kind of separate because I think I'll get an amp first since I'll be borrowing a bass until I can afford one. I think like $250 or so is my about my max for an amp right now.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
i think fender make good bass amps
my friends has a laney though which is nice
Hmm, for $250, your best bet for an amp are a Kustom KXB100 or an Acoustic B100 - both $249 new, both 100W.

Likewise, you can look used, look for Peavey.

Hey one more question about amps, how is the Fender Rumble 75? Are Fender Rumble amps good. 75 watts should be plenty I think for home and at church they usually plug the amp directly into the pa system with the headphones jack or line out I think.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Quote by gtrzrule4
Hey one more question about amps, how is the Fender Rumble 75? Are Fender Rumble amps good. 75 watts should be plenty I think for home and at church they usually plug the amp directly into the pa system with the headphones jack or line out I think.

For playing at home 10w will do, I'd recommend a Kustom KBA10. Fender Rumbles are soso, not bad but a bit meh.
Quote by Spaz91
For playing at home 10w will do, I'd recommend a Kustom KBA10. Fender Rumbles are soso, not bad but a bit meh.

Ok I think I'll stick to looking for Kustom and Acoustic then, but I think I'll get the 100 watt one because it needs to be loud enough to play in my youth band at church.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Quote by gtrzrule4
Ok I think I'll stick to looking for Kustom and Acoustic then, but I think I'll get the 100 watt one because it needs to be loud enough to play in my youth band at church.

You just said they plug into the PA?
If you plug into a PA I'd suggest a SansAmp Bass Driver, but that would leave you uplugged at home. Just a thought.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?