would it be better to just buy a slight upgrade (like a Peavey Valveking Combo 2x12) or a big upgrade (like a head,cab set)?

I currently have 1000$ stowed away to spend and im upgrading my entire rig. I recently bought a Epi Les Paul and i've had a Line 6 Spider 4 15w for the past year or two.

From what i've conjured up from visiting threads and what not, Tube amps are the way to go, and if you go any other way...your going wrong...

Im just wondering if it would be best to take baby steps up towards that, or just jump headfirst in and buy a good professional amp

Either one, if i should go low grade, recommend a low grade...
if i should buy a good tube amp, recommend a good tube amp (under 1000$)

Thanks guys for everything in advance...

btw, i basically play every genre, i enjoy playing blues, metal, rock, country etc. so i want an amp that essentially does just that (thats one reason i've been told to go to the Valvekind because its a good modelling amp)

EITHER WAY, i'll be glad for recommendations, it truely doesnt matter to me, because i've never spent time (or even ever played) with a true 100% Tube amp

thanks again
Tube amps are good. But like WtrPlyr said if you don't know the difference it would be dumb to get. On the other hand you will eventually notice the change in tones and how tube amps seem to have a better feel and tone. Unless you need to play really loud I wouldn't bother getting a Half stack. My buddy plays through a Fender 2x12 tube amp (not sure exactly which one) but it sounds amazing and is extremely loud as well. He plays a lot of different styles as well. I like those Fender tube amps..
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
well, correction....i meant the Vypyr 100 2x12...my bad...

i do know the difference, im not a complete dumbf*ck...im 47 years old, and i would prefer it to not be talked down on...just a personal preferance...

i first picked up a guitar about 6 years ago, and i just decided to upgrade my shit...is it hard enough to get some decent recommendations
Its a tough decision. I'd always say get the best you can afford, but with musical instruments its a little tougher. As you develop you may find your feature preferences and tone tastes could change. If you have a nice amp, its a little easier to sell/trade it and get something else you like more. If you have something kind of crappy, to "get you by" or "baby steps" it might not be as easy to upgrade in the future. You may have the money now, but you might not in the future and now you are stuck with something you might not be 100% happy with.

Get to some music shops and try everything you can and play all the things you want to play through the amps. Push all the buttons, twist all the knobs. Maybe you will be totally satisfied with a little Line6 amp, maybe you'll want a JCM800, who knows? $1000 is a pretty good starting budget to get something good, especially on the used market.
vypyr tube combo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well, Ive always found a good tube combo to be fine, i started with an old JCM 800 1x12, as i started gigging more ive upgraded of course, theres alot of good steals on combos though, depending on your style
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
I'd look at the Peavey classic 30 and maybe an Over Drive pedal.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
Hey man, I think it would also help to know what kind of gigging you do. Do you mostly play at home by yourself? With friends in the basement? Regular gigging? If you don't play out often I'd say there isn't much of a need to spend $1000 on a very high quality amp and the Valveking would be a good purchase. Then again, it's your money and you can certainly do what you want with it.

Some higher end combo amps I would recommend you look at in your price range with the diversity to play the styles you mentioned are the Orange Tiny Terror, Vox AC15 or 30, Fender Twin Reverb (used but you would need a good OD pedal for the higher gain stuff), Marshall JCM 2000, or JCM 800 1x12. I'm not familiar with Vypyr so can't speak for it. If you can find a deal on a used Marshall JCM 800 2x12 more power to you.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Last edited by rockxwl at Apr 19, 2011,
I agree with the tiny terror or ac 15 just cus youll never need something else , tone of 2000$ amps but not as many watts so you save money
well not to be a dick but your last thread on this same topic had tons of good advice for what you should do.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Honestly man, you've made over 25 threads about amp choices in the last month and a half. There has to be good information in there.

Hell, there have been some pretty great recommendations in this thread alone.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Sell your entire rig
and get a paperjams guitar and paperjams amp the guitar's neck is to die for its really thin and its easy to play too
i am thinkin about buyin one for my lil bro
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Take a look at an Egnater Tweaker.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it would be stretching your budget out a little bit, but an Egnater Renegade would fit the bill and then some. i owned one for quite a while. its a killer amp, it nails blues country, rock, and you can even get a little metal with a boost.

just to put a thought in your head.

311 has put some pretty impressive clips up of the Vypyr tube. that would be a solid way to go.

+1 on the tweaker too, i owned one of those for a while too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It would be best to go to a music shop, try a bunch, and buy one, then stop making threads every week when you find out companies make different amps.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
It would be best to go to a music shop, try a bunch, and buy one, then stop making threads every week when you find out companies make different amps.

This.
I would suggest perhaps a bugera magician/trirec for the price range. They're basically mesa clones.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Quote by dtmaiden
This.
I would suggest perhaps a bugera magician/trirec for the price range. They're basically mesa clones.

or just hold out for the Sherbert.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It would probs be a better idea to get a smaller wattage tube amp first. Maybe something like a tiny terror, or the 5watt Blackstar?
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
Quote by B.C. RICH5000

From what i've conjured up from visiting threads and what not, Tube amps are the way to go, and if you go any other way...your going wrong...

Live, In my opinion yes (apart from really high end modellers ala axefx into tube poweramps and such)

In the bedroom, No. I think a better modeller then a spider like flextone 3's etc would be fine for the purpose.

That being said it is always nice having the real thing at your disposal I'm not a big fan of the valve kings though and you can do better for 1000 dollars from what i know about the dollar.

IN MY OPINION apart from certain classic 2x12 combos (vox, fenders etcetc )a 2x12 combo is a bad idea. For metal/rock stuff and you want that size of amp (which i'd assume from your name you will be playing lol) I'd say its best off skipping a 2x12 combo and going for a head and 2x12

1. MOST high gain 2x12 combos are open back so a head and a good closed back 2x12 cab would sound better FOR high gain
2. they are really heavy its a lot easier to transport the amp and cab seperate instead of it all being in one package
3. 2x12 combos are pretty hard to sell..

I speak on all of this from recent experience i had a 2x12 peavey ultra tube combo to get back into the tube amp game after not having a good amp for ages but recently upgraded that to a peavey ultra plus with an engl 2x12 cab with v30s and the difference is massive.. Now obviously the speaker contribute to that as well but on the whole its just a much better way to go.

If you want a combo go 1x12..
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
would it be better to just buy a slight upgrade (like a Peavey Valveking Combo 2x12) or a big upgrade (like a head,cab set)?

I currently have 1000$ stowed away to spend and im upgrading my entire rig. I recently bought a Epi Les Paul and i've had a Line 6 Spider 4 15w for the past year or two.

Im just wondering if it would be best to take baby steps up towards that, or just jump headfirst in and buy a good professional amp

Either one, if i should go low grade, recommend a low grade...
if i should buy a good tube amp, recommend a good tube amp (under 1000$)

Thanks guys for everything in advance...

btw, i basically play every genre, i enjoy playing blues, metal, rock, country etc. so i want an amp that essentially does just that (thats one reason i've been told to go to the Valvekind because its a good modelling amp)

EITHER WAY, i'll be glad for recommendations, it truely doesnt matter to me, because i've never spent time (or even ever played) with a true 100% Tube amp

thanks again

This is the internet - everyone is biased. Tube amps are the traditional method to go, and everyone on the internet will tell you if you get something else, you're wrong - is a more accurate description.

That being said - there are solid state amps out there that sound good. You really just have to shop around. If you like the sound it makes, don't worry if its tube or solid state. Look at reputable brands, and if you want to stick with modeling look at the Flextone and Vetta from Line6, as well as the POD HD300-500 series.
The AxeFX out there is a whole 'nother beast - although I've never played it, lots of reputable bands use it for recording purposes.
I'd look at getting a pair of AC15s.

From my experience, they have plenty of headroom for small venues and offer a decent range from brite to crunchy tones and take pedals very well if you're looking for something heavier... If you haven't had the chance to play a dual delay or Univibe in stereo, I highly recommend it - it is something everyone should experience IMO.
Quote by B.C. RICH5000

thanks again

Sounds to me like you need to get your feet wet a bit more. Play around a bit! A big step up is great when you know exactly what you want and need. It isn't a good idea to take a big leap without a lot of personal experience with different amps, regardless of what a forum may tell you. You might want to take some smaller steps so you know what you want, based on what you've had
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Apr 23, 2011,
ya...i'd say get a good amp...you can always get a decent guitar later on down the road, but you wont know what type of guitar you'd want until you get a decent amp...

my recommendations are these:
Blackstar HT-40
Peavey Classic 30
maybe even a Randall RT50c
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 23, 2011,