Hey guys!

I'm planning to get my first 7 string next month, and I've narrowed down my choices. The part that's killing me is whether I want a trem or not! I'm finding it difficult to decide I find that when I play without a trem, I'm a lot more focused and I tend to mess around a lot less. When I play with one, I often come up with more tasteful phrases but I feel as though, "the bar is there, so I HAVE to use it.." - it's a distraction. If I bought a hardtail though I'm sure I'd end up missing it down the line.

Help?

My hardtail choices are
-Ibanez RG7321BBFM £400
-LTD MH417 £600

Trem choices
-RG1527 £700
-Dean RC7G £700

The Dean RC7 seems the best choice by far considering the features (huge cutaway & access, superthin neck, EMG707's and hardcase) but I'm really struggling to decide if I want that tremolo or not. I'd miss it if it wasn't there, but it would annoy me the whole time that I have one

tl:dr trem or no trem
i love having a tremelo bending notes and doing crazy sounds is fun but you forget that they take away the ability to change tunings(easily

if i was getting a 7 string id get a hardtail one just so i could experimetn with differnet tunings on 7 strings
maybe get a trmeleo one down the line

just my 2 cents
Last edited by supersac at Apr 19, 2011,
since i love my trem i would get one with it and when i wanted to focus and really accomplish something, take the arm out
I'd say go the hardtail.
1. You can tune down and play Meshuggah easily :P
and 2. You may not notice it, but tremolo's (floyd's, anyway) reduce the sustain of your guitar and the overall tone it produces.
My mate's got 2 ESP Horizon's, 1 with a trem and one without. They're the same model, only difference is the tremolo. The hardtail one just sings that bit extra

If you feel that you need the tremolo with the music you play, go for the trem.
But if you find that you're not using it as much and it's just dangling there gathering dust, go the hardtail
Gooby Pls.
Quote by Cyngus
since i love my trem i would get one with it and when i wanted to focus and really accomplish something, take the arm out

I supposed I could just take the bar out, or maybe get it blocked..grr this is really eating me up it's like going out without a jacket- the weather might be fine but it could always rain later on
for how long have you been playing?

It depends if you're experienced as a guitarplayer then a trem is fine, but if you're starting I wouldn't recommend...
Quote by crackjunior1
for how long have you been playing?

It depends if you're experienced as a guitarplayer then a trem is fine, but if you're starting I wouldn't recommend...

4 years. Both my Ibanez have trems (one locking and one non-locking) and I'm fine about keeping them setup and working smoothly, but I go through phases of either using the trem either extensively or not at all. Kinda depends who I'm listening to at the time Satch & Vai tend to make me want to use it more
Why has no one ever heard of hard tailing a guitar? You can use the tremolo when you want to, and you can still make the note lower with the bar AND you can drop tune

Get either one, I'm sure if you spend that much money you'll be happy no matter what you get
From what you wrote, it seems like you want a trem more than you don't. So I'd go with that if I were you.

And the best part is, that you don't have to use it if you don't want to. But at least it's still there if you do, you have the option.

That said, just a comment, because a lot of people get disillusioned by the EMG name, but the 707 and 808 pickups are really meh. If you can, try to pick up an 81-7 and a 60-7.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X