Alright so I'm a 21 year old college student with bill's to pay, which recently i've been having to have my parents send me money... not fun. I don't have a criminal background, i got arrested once for evading police when my friend got caught with weed, but i got my charges dropped and expunged because i was a minor and being stupid. i have good references and only have two previous jobs.

the unemployment in my area 33.3% which sucks because there are litterally no jobs. i've applied to 2 walmarts. target, kmart, 5 home depots, lowes, a go kart place, 2 guitar centers (one of which liked my application a lot and said they'd call me when they have an opening but may not be until june), best buy, christmas tree shops, michaels, petco, and various other places.

most of these places aren't even hiring.

i can't be a delivery driver for any sort of pizza place or anything because my truck get 11 mpg and i live in a city. i haven't smoked weed in 4 months because i wanted to pass any pre-employment drug tests that i may encounter. of course 4/20 is tommorrow and im prolly not going to smoke.

i pretty much don't know what to do anymore. i've sold a lot of my stuff on craigslist to pay bills and rent. the only things i have left worth any real value are my dirtbike(which im selling) and my guitar shit(which i refuse to sell).

im starting to get really frustrated and discouraged, so if any of you guys have any idea's for a job, lemme know. i need to make enough money to live off and i want to be able to work full time for the summer. so i doubt any fast food joint will cut it, but correct me if im wrong and you guys have prior experience let me know.

thanks a lot.

TL;DR unemployment is 33% in my area having trouble finding a job, gimme some ideas.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by whyze250f

the unemployment in my area 33.3% which sucks because there are litterally no jobs. i've applied to 2 walmarts. target, kmart, 5 home depots, lowes, a go kart place, 2 guitar centers (one of which liked my application a lot and said they'd call me when they have an opening but may not be until june), best buy, christmas tree shops, michaels, petco, and various other places.

God damn that's high. Where do you live?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
God damn that's high. Where do you live?

rhode island
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Does your college have a job centre or a co-op program you can enrol in?
Move to Belgium
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by GeeDee
Does your college have a job centre or a co-op program you can enrol in?

yeah unfortunately it seems like theres nothing available, because a lot of other students are also in my situation.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
A look at your profile shows you're taking graphic design and website development. Any chance you could do a bit of freelancing to make some money on the side?
Quote by GeeDee
A look at your profile shows you're taking graphic design and website development. Any chance you could do a bit of freelancing to make some money on the side?

Freelance blowjobs? Even the freelance market is bad. I was a freelance sound engineer, but everyone started undercutting everyone else. Even if you land a freelance job, you get paid practically nothing.
Quote by GeeDee

ive been offered a few oppurtunities unfortunately most of them were out of my league for my current skill to handle on my own. i may end up making a few designs for some small business, but im really trying to find a steady flow of cash.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
I'm guessing you've tried internet job sites..
Employment agencies?
Going into different shops and asking politely? You need to be good with your charisma though.. ask if they want some tables cleaned etc.
Could also try multiple part time jobs though.
And when you next insure a vehicle, sell your truck and buy a 1 litre diesel car. Seriously.. you don't need a truck.

Been there, done that.. Only got a part time job atm but I know it sucks if you don't have links.
Quote by Silent Murder
I'm guessing you've tried internet job sites..
Employment agencies?
Going into different shops and asking politely? You need to be good with your charisma though.. ask if they want some tables cleaned etc.
Could also try multiple part time jobs though.
And when you next insure a vehicle, sell your truck and buy a 1 litre diesel car. Seriously.. you don't need a truck.

Been there, done that.. Only got a part time job atm but I know it sucks if you don't have links.

yeah i check snag a job.com daily. i've gone into small business most say they're cutting back on employees/hours or to come back in the fall. i just dont get it my hair is not long like it is my profile picture its buzzed short, im neatly dressed, freshly shaved and outgoing. i look like i just got out of basic training for ****s sake
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
yes, move to our country.
Foreigners just have to set 1 foot in our country and they get a nice income, a place to live and food, for free!
And you can always prostitute yourself.

Seriously if your low on cash, there are lots of ways to save money, for instance stop smoking forever.
Last edited by toine at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by toine

Seriously if your low on cash, there are lots of ways to save money, for instance stop smoking forever.

You can only save so much cash. Still gotta buy food and pay the rent.

How long is your college course? Judging by your age, I'm assuming you're approaching the end of your course. I would suggest finishing your course and moving to a place with more favourable employment prospects. However, I don't know if that's a viable option.
Quote by whyze250f

i can't be a delivery driver for any sort of pizza place or anything because my truck get 11 mpg

TL;DR unemployment is 33% in my area having trouble finding a job, gimme some ideas.

im pretty sure all delivery places pay your gas
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
Rob a bank.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Problem solved, TS. Just don't say on your application that you expect eight an hour. Put in minimum wage.

Wrong put in negotiable.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
It looks like your options are pretty simple:
a) Move back in with your parents and save some money till you can get back in school
b) The Reserves
c) Drug dealer

short term construction jobs that pay cash also shouldn't be too hard to find. I paid for rent and food drifting from job site to job site as a general laborer for the better part of a year
Last edited by rob904 at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by Steel8909
How did you manage to get a truck and keep up with gas and insurance?

thankfully my parents bought me the truck a few years ago, they're paying my insurance until i graduate.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
One big employment area that you've missed out from your list is bar and restaurant work.

It's long, antisocial hours, but in your position you've got to take what you can get. Plus, it really isn't as bad as people make out. It's good fun and the vast majority of people who work behind bars are friendly, since you're all in the same boat.

The only thing you really need to watch out for is making sure you get enough sleep. I usually just sleep most of the day on Sunday to catch myself up.

So yeah, get yourself handing CVs into every bar/restaurant you see. Most bars are always eager for new staff. I applied for one bar at home, got the job straight off. I applied for a bar job at uni as well, handed out CVs along the main strip in town, within a week I was working.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Just keep working hard and treat your unumployment like a full-time job until you have one and something will come up.

Also retry places that didnt get back to you, it can show them initiative and they arent calling back because htey dislike you, but because they had no position at the time.

goodluck.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by -February-Star-
One big employment area that you've missed out from your list is bar and restaurant work.

It's long, antisocial hours, but in your position you've got to take what you can get. Plus, it really isn't as bad as people make out. It's good fun and the vast majority of people who work behind bars are friendly, since you're all in the same boat.

The only thing you really need to watch out for is making sure you get enough sleep. I usually just sleep most of the day on Sunday to catch myself up.

So yeah, get yourself handing CVs into every bar/restaurant you see. Most bars are always eager for new staff. I applied for one bar at home, got the job straight off. I applied for a bar job at uni as well, handed out CVs along the main strip in town, within a week I was working.

Also this.

Helps if you have experience as well. I needed a job for 2 months, said I had 3 years restaurant experience and I got an assistant managers job and a salary

I wanted a waitering job.
I brought about 30 Cv's before someone called me... and this spanned the entire summer, (I just turned 17 in november, going to college next year so my situation wasnt as dire as yours) in the end the place i least wanted to work at called me. McDonalds. Worst part is I had brought my cv there like 3 months before. Just keep bringing the CV's and you'll get a job.

Edit: ^ What that quote says, try the restaurant business, especially fastfood. Mcdonalds is actually not as dirty and a horrible job as everyone says, well atleast the ones in my city arnt.
Last edited by Brendan.Pivin at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by Colgate Total
FYI, the places usually have their own delivery vehicles.

I don't know how it is in Rhode Island, but any pizza place I've ever seen around here requires drivers to use their own car. At the Domino's I work at, we have like 12 drivers working at once during rush. There's no way a store would buy that many cars and pay for the gas on top of maintenance, repairs, and everything else. Delivering is really tough on your car.

Quote by ShortSpaceWAng
im pretty sure all delivery places pay your gas

The cost they cover is barely anything. It's only so many cents a mile and then tax is deducted, so it's really not as much as you would think.

So yes TS, delivering isn't that much of an option. Perhaps you could try and apply for an inside position?
So fell Lord Perth...

... And the countryside did shake with that thunder.
Work the streets or sell drugs

Or just drop off your resume at EVERY fast food place in your town
I leik music
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Also this.

Helps if you have experience as well. I needed a job for 2 months, said I had 3 years restaurant experience and I got an assistant managers job and a salary

I wanted a waitering job.

Haha same happened to me. Got a cook job on a camp cuz I said I worked with food (aka gorcery store :p) A month later the food service manager got fired then I was the only one to fill in for his job lol

Also TS, since most post secondary students are finishing up school now, look into seasonal jobs, especially in forestry/reforestation. Atleast in Canada, (don't how it is in the US) there's tons of work to do in the bush, and it doesn't matter if you live in the city, cuz you live in a bush camp most of the time, also you learn everything on the job. Been doing this for 3 years and I'm graduating debt free. Though our tuition is dirt cheap compared to you guys lol

Also Mc Donald's isn't bad at all. I've worked in kitchens before, and Mc Donald's is a million times cleaner/ more organized then the places I've worked at.
Last edited by Steel8909 at Apr 19, 2011,
ended up getting hired by the go kart track. weird that they actually called me the same day i made this thread. started yesterday ****ing awesome job. can make my own hours can work as little as 10 hours up to 40 hours. soo pumped guranteed job thru november. now i can pay my bills, save some money, and acquire some new gear. maybe a high end mim strat hehe!
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
This is possibly an immensely stupid idea but you could advertise academic tutoring in a subject you're good at? Hope it works out dude.

EDIT: I just read your post above <.<.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")