This is kind of embarrassing, so don't flame me please haha.

So I've been playing guitar for close to 4 years, and I used to play old school metal like Sabbath and Maiden, but my tastes gradually grew into more modern and progressively heavier musical. Here's the bad part though: for the last year or so I've been stuck only playing hardcore and "scene" music that really isn't very technical at all (hope I don't have to give examples :l)

But now I've grown out of that phase and I want to get back into playing more technical stuff, like Protest the Hero. Only problem is that my technique is wayyy off from playing all the chug chug breakdown songs, haha.

So I have 2 questions for you guys:
1) What are some exercises I can use to build up my speed and increase my technical playing?
2) What are some good scales that I can use to write my own stuff, similar to PTH and BTBAM?
Paul from BTBAM has a funny video that is just a picking excersise. Even though its a joke vdeo, it is a usefull exercise. Also, if you listen to some of Trivium's newer stuff, they have picking rhthyms that are complex but not too much so that you cant pick them up. "Into the Mouth of Hell We March" is a good example of that. Obviously, PTH is a good technical guide, but early Dillenger Escape Plan is super techy too and they have odd rythms( if your into that) that can help with picking.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
To get away from metalcore, practise your pentatonics, use crushing MG overdrive and practice your artificial harmonics to the maximum.. You'll become like Zakk Wylde.
Okay,seriously.. there is this one exercise that helped me develop a lot of speed when I started playing and now as I've practiced that one even faster, it has made my playing more stable and accurate. That's just a simple 1-2-3-4 (or 5-6-7-8 or however you like it) finger practice. Just increase tempo and spice it up with different kind of varieties of using all your four fingers. That would give you speed.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
To get away from metalcore, practise your pentatonics, use crushing MG overdrive and practice your artificial harmonics to the maximum.. You'll become like Zakk Wylde.

But seriously though, I'll try it, thanks
Btw, its hard to suggest scales for writing, especially for two bands as different as BTBAM and PTH. PTH uses Hexatonics alot and most of their riffs are played in different variations of E, A, or D. To locate Major, Minor, etc; is difficult for them especially as they change keys frequently in one song. BTBAM are hard too because they go all over the place over the course of an album.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>