Page 1 of 2
So, I'd like to know something about Schecter guitars - people always say Schecter guitars are good for their price, but I'd like to know that if I have let's say 1100$, and I want a versatile guitar, would you advice me a Schecter?

What I basically want to know is if Schecters can shine not only when compared to guitars in their price range, but to guitars like Fender American Standards or a Les Paul Studio.
I got a c-1 hellraiser and I think its a great guitar. I don't go out and play other guitars all the time so I can't really offer any comparisons. I would recommend one though but I would try some others first and see what you like.
I like my Schecter, but it depends on how versatile you want to get. I could see using them for any kind of metal or rock purpose, but not for, say, country or jazz. Then again, you should really play one yourself and determine what you think sounds best on it. As far as comparing to Fender or Gibson, well, that's all taste.
I want a schecter badly, they are some of the most advanced guitars of our time, better than fender definetly better than the les pauls... hard to tell
Quote by slashermaster
I want a schecter badly, they are some of the most advanced guitars of our time, better than fender definetly better than the les pauls... hard to tell

whats so advanced about them?....after owning an exotic star, hellraiser and ch-12, i haven't noticed anything spectacular about them except for a decent build quality which can also be found in the ltd's since they are related...

to the original poster, at $1100 you can easily find an esp horizon with coil splitting that is very versatile
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Last edited by twinturboaudi at Apr 19, 2011,
i love schecter guitars, after getting my omen 6 a few yrs back i really love the quality, bought a hellraiser, and getting a 7 or some sort from them soon too, yes there are better guitars out there, but i think for the price they cant be beat unless you go used. as for versatile they offer alot of different styles i really want one of the les paul ish shaped ones, with the pight pickups i think they could handle most styles of music well.
Quote by bendystraw
Fifty bucks says you're fat.
Quote by slashermaster

They're great guitars, but not THAT great. I do really like mine though.

If you live in the US and are looking versatility... http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=st300

Bam.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Ok, here's some of the most helpful advice you'll get in this thread so far:

Go out and try them.

The Hellraiser series is great, I love my Solo-6. The neck is thicker than my LTD V-300, but its still very comfortable and easy to play. The coil taps will give you a little more versatility, but not "OMGZORZ IT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIEK A STRAT AT TEH POOL OF A KNOB!!!!" They are great guitars. What ones did you have in mind?

EGOedit: Ok, before 6:05 that was the most helpful
Last edited by Somekid94 at Apr 19, 2011,
Schecter bolt-on's have a "baseball bat" type neck; I wasn't too much of a fan of how thick the neck felt, but thats just based on personal preference. Higher end Schecters are pretty good, but like the lower end ones they're all built in South Korea. As for me, if I'm paying 1K over for a guitar, I'd like for it to be built in Japan or the U.S., but once again based on preference. The only other gripe I have against Schecter is the limited color options.
I like my Hellraiser a lot but I don't think it competes with Gibsons and Fenders unless you plan on playing some heavier stuff.

I also like the coil taps because it makes the guitar very versatile.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by twinturboaudi
whats so advanced about them?....after owning an exotic star, hellraiser and ch-12, i haven't noticed anything spectacular about them except for a decent build quality which can also be found in the ltd's since they are related...

to the original poster, at $1100 you can easily find an esp horizon with coil splitting that is very versatile

Im talking about the more exotic ones like the fractured mirror
Quote by slashermaster
Im talking about the more exotic ones like the fractured mirror

i have to ask again...what is so advanced about this guitar?
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
with $1100 you can get an awesome used PRS, probly not a custom but a diecent CE22 or CE24. If your lucky you may even find a Standard 22 or 24 that needs a good home. And most people would agree that PRS is the best quality production guitar made. I can say that I have never played another companys guitar line that impressed me so much.
schecters are alright, they are a fair price in the US and canada as far as i'm aware, but a bit overrated and extremely overhyped on UG. like everything else, you're not getting anything more than what you pay for.

for $1100 you can do much better, for sure.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Robbgnarly
with $1100 you can get an awesome used PRS, probly not a custom but a diecent CE22 or CE24. If your lucky you may even find a Standard 22 or 24 that needs a good home. And most people would agree that PRS is the best quality production guitar made. I can say that I have never played another companys guitar line that impressed me so much.

this also.
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
I have a Schecter S-1 Standard. Why isn't it as well known as the C-1s or Hellraisers? It's just as, if not more, versitile than a C-1.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by twinturboaudi
i have to ask again...what is so advanced about this guitar?

first off it's a handcut mirror tht surprisingly doesnt keep fingerprints easily second the strings go in like in no gitar I've seen outside shecter, and its sound is just ..... no equal
Quote by slashermaster
first off it's a handcut mirror tht surprisingly doesnt keep fingerprints easily second the strings go in like in no gitar I've seen outside shecter, and its sound is just ..... no equal

what??????

and a flashy finish does NOT make a guitar advanced
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Last edited by twinturboaudi at Apr 19, 2011,
Well I will say this alot of versitillity will come from your amp, im not a fan of schecters, ive played them, great sounding guitars and well built, but i prefer a thin U type neck so they werent easy for me to play. Now as for a versitle guitar id look into either a PRS CE or a Parker with a Piezo most likely used in both cases, easily can cover just about any tone
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
Quote by sonny bb
I have a Schecter S-1 Standard. Why isn't it as well known as the C-1s or Hellraisers? It's just as, if not more, versitile than a C-1.

It's not Strat-shaped, that's why. XD And I'm currently waiting on my first Schecter to arrive by mail, a Damien Elite FR. I'm a lefty, and I like big necks, I've got a rather tight budget and I play metal, so I was sorta limited in choices, but I tried a Damien Elite a while back and absolutely fell in love with it, and it's $800 CDN at the local Schecter dealer(there are a grand total of 2 guitar shops in the capital city of where I live, and one's a Long And McQuade), where they gave me $400 for my crappy Vintage VS6 SG knockoff, and I've got around $250 saved up, so they sent out an order two weeks ago with my guitar in with it. Iunno about versatile, but I play Led Zeppelin to Judas Priest to Slayer, and this guitar does all that well even with EMGs in it, which I was surprised to end up liking, didn't think I would from that round, friendly, fruity(for lack of a better word, the tone reminds me of a Froot Loops ad for some reason) tone I've heard from actives in a lot of songs. But yeah, they do make some more versatile models, the Standards have Duncans IIRC, and they seem very well-built. I'd put them on par with Gibsons and American Fenders from my experience, but it's hard to compare them with a Fender since Fenders are generally single-coil guitars and I honestly don't think I've seen a single-coil-equipped Schecter. XD

FINAL SUMMATION:Yes, I think they're great guitars. They make some pretty versatile models, even though it's mostly metal guitars, and I'd put them on par with, if just a little under Gibson.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
The problem with Schecter is the lack of a really 'high end' line of guitars. They have some cool signatures around the thousand range, but unless you want a custom guitar, you're not getting anything new after around the $900 mark. They're great for mid-ranged guitars, certainly, but when you start comparing them to big names like Fenders and Gibsons, it becomes a matter of personal preference and the fact that brands like Gibsons have some brilliant guitars from $900 to the thousands, while Schecter really isn't that diverse in high-level stuff.

If you love the look and feel, then yeah, non-custom Schecters can compete with 'bigger' brands, but it's almost always going to be best for metal/rock and there's not some 'God tier' to look up to like many huge names.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by slashermaster
second the strings go in like in no gitar I've seen outside shecterl

um what? its got a regular stoptail as far as I can tell. Tons and tons of guitars have this.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
schecter gives the mid range buyer. some hi end features, such as neck through, fancy neck inlays, seymores and not dd`s like a jackson of similar pricing. an arched maple top. and really deep nice laquerd (sp) finish. they play and sound great. awsome guitar for 80s rock/metal.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by Hail
The problem with Schecter is the lack of a really 'high end' line of guitars. They have some cool signatures around the thousand range, but unless you want a custom guitar, you're not getting anything new after around the $900 mark. They're great for mid-ranged guitars, certainly, but when you start comparing them to big names like Fenders and Gibsons, it becomes a matter of personal preference and the fact that brands like Gibsons have some brilliant guitars from $900 to the thousands, while Schecter really isn't that diverse in high-level stuff.

If you love the look and feel, then yeah, non-custom Schecters can compete with 'bigger' brands, but it's almost always going to be best for metal/rock and there's not some 'God tier' to look up to like many huge names.

+1
I have wanted a tempest custom and should have grabed one last year when they were going for $399. But they do lack a "high-end" range like the other Big companys.
id say used C-1 Classic. Amazingly versatile guitar. Honestly, i would rather play my Damien 6 over a lot of Gibsons ive played, inluding a LP custom. Definitely over fender. Only guitars ive played that i would pick over schecter is an LTD 1000 or up....mmmmm mh 1000
Quote by TehWeirdo
So, I'd like to know something about Schecter guitars - people always say Schecter guitars are good for their price, but I'd like to know that if I have let's say 1100$, and I want a versatile guitar, would you advice me a Schecter?

What I basically want to know is if Schecters can shine not only when compared to guitars in their price range, but to guitars like Fender American Standards or a Les Paul Studio.

You'd need to get one in your hands and see for yourself. The build quality of Schecters is quite good. The component quality is good. The sound, though ultimately subjective, is good. I have a C-1 Classic and its a great and versatile guitar. I think I paid $600 brand new. The neck is a little thick and some people may not like it. My brother has an Omen and he loves it, but all he plays is metal.
I have a schecter s-1 elite. the neck is most certainly not thick, an dits an incredibly light guitar. coil splitting/tapping, i mean its not a HIGH end gibson or something, but its incredible. and versatile. i use this and a gibson studio lp, and a gibson sg, and i still use it constantly. im not a fan of the schecters with active pups, not for me haha
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
My totally unbiased opinion is that you should get a Synyster Custom.

Edit: Actually don't, it means there are more for me.
Last edited by Steve635z at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
schecters are alright, they are a fair price in the US and canada as far as i'm aware, but a bit overrated and extremely overhyped on UG. like everything else, you're not getting anything more than what you pay for.

for $1100 you can do much better, for sure.

This. With 1100$, you don't buy a schecter. Period.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Okay, there are some things I should have stated.

First of all, i'm talking about quality and sound - not playability. Of course playability is very very important, but if I would have asked about playability I would have got tons of biased answers (which I did). I don't care about customer service.

Also, I need to say that I live in Israel and i'm going to three weeks in San Diego and two days in Las Vegas in August. I plan on getting a guitar that will serve me for a long time.

Does anyone have any experience with used guitars?
Last edited by TehWeirdo at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by TehWeirdo
Okay, there are some things I should have stated.

First of all, i'm talking about quality and sound - not playability. Of course playability is very very important, but if I would have asked about playability I would have got tons of biased answers (which I did). I don't care about customer service.

Also, I need to say that I live in Israel and i'm going to three weeks in San Diego and two days in Las Vegas in Augost. I plan on getting a guitar that will serve me for a long time.

Does anyone have any experience with used guitars?

Since you are going to be in San Diego anyway:

Carvin
12340 World Trade Dr.
San Diego, CA 92128
M-F 10:00am - 6:30pm
SAT. 10:00am - 5:30pm
(858) 487-8700
Quote by Hail

The High Range Schecters (not even custom) cost around 3000euros / 4000 bucks

Take a look :
http://www.schecter.co.jp/index2.html
In all seriousness i like my c1 elite but i think alot of the more recent schecters have gone downhill in quality and almost doubled in price (in the uk anyway). They really arent worth a look at new prices.
Quote by Slashiepie
The High Range Schecters (not even custom) cost around 3000euros / 4000 bucks

Take a look :
http://www.schecter.co.jp/index2.html

I was never even aware of half of those series, and most of them don't apply because, well, it is a Japanese site, and OP even said that he's buying it in America.

Also, ++++++++++++++++++++ to Carvin
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I have the Schecter C-7 Hellraiser Diamond Edition, I think its a great guitar. I play almost everything on it Metal, Progressive, Rock, Jazz, Blue and more. But if you going to get an expensive guitar that is well built. MAKE SURE YOUR EQUIPMENT is up to par with your guitar, you dont want to be rocking a 2000 dollar guitar, and then be using a 100 amp with no pedals or anything

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I got a Damien V-1 FR last summer and hated every minute of it. The neck was rough and the fertboard started to come apart at the 24th fret, the pickups were awful, the tuners were garbage, and even after a full setup the bridge went out of tune worse than a Strat trem. I paid $275 used for it and still got ripped off. I traded it to some poor soul for a Squier Tele Custom and that's miles ahead of it, even with its flaws.

Not many of their guitars in stores have felt promising, and feature-wise you can usually do better in a price range.

tl;dr suckter
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
i think to answer one of your questions if you are coming to america to purchase a guitar, and will take it back to the middle east. (cant spell isreal haha) ill tell you i ve had my c`1 since 08, and while its been kept in a case, it goes with me in my truck. and has been subjected to some really nasty temperatures. from 30 below, to 105. plus horrible hummid conditions and dry dusty conditions. not to mention the constant bumping and jostling the just goes with a moving vehical. my schecter still plays like the day i bought it. i had strings get rusty but the neck stays straight and plays fine. so at least im satisfied about the workman ship for a mass produced korean guitar.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Page 1 of 2