Ok, so I just got M-Audio Pro Tools Recording Studio and a Shure SM57 for recording my classical as well as my electric guitar tracks. When hooked everything up and started recording with my microphone it would add extra gain to my signal. I had a similar problem with my Behringer mixer and a Sennheiser e825s (Vocal Mic), which led me to upgrading. Everything about the setup I used to have and the one I have now is different except for the mic cable and the mic stand. I tried several placements in terms of distance from the amp/classical guitar, but there is always extra gain. How can I fix this?
My Gear
Marshall DSL 50
Marshall JCM900 1960B Lead 4x12 Cab
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
ISP Decimator
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Boost
Dunlop Original Crybaby
turn the gain down? i'm not quite sure what you mean by "adding extra gain". i'm assuming you are using a Fast Track? those preamps have adjustable gain...

do you mean it's adding noise? that's a completely different issue if that's the case.
That's normal. Just turn down the gain while you're recording.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
You always need less gain when recording than you do live.
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
So no matter what microphone I get, I will never get the exact tone I hear in my ears? Because my signal on my classical (which NOT run through an amp) is non-existent in terms of gain while the clean signal on my electric has the slightest amount of gain. When playing on my electric there is gain on the clean but you can't hear it by ear. When I record these clean signals they sound like I have the gain turned on a light OD level. Are you saying this is normal?
My Gear
Marshall DSL 50
Marshall JCM900 1960B Lead 4x12 Cab
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
ISP Decimator
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Boost
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by Dave C.
So no matter what microphone I get, I will never get the exact tone I hear in my ears? Because my signal on my classical (which NOT run through an amp) is non-existent in terms of gain while the clean signal on my electric has the slightest amount of gain. When playing on my electric there is gain on the clean but you can't hear it by ear. When I record these clean signals they sound like I have the gain turned on a light OD level. Are you saying this is normal?

You do realise your ears are in a completely different listening position to the microphone, and that has a huge impact on what you hear... right?

Also, no microphone sounds the same - and if you want to be really pedantic, every component in your signal chain affects the tone you will get, by varying amounts. In fact, the things that can affect your tone picked up by a mic and that being sent to your DAW are so numerous I could probably fill this page listing the ones off the top of my head!

What I'm getting at is to use the tone you want to achieve as a goal and work towards it, but don't worry when you can only get 90+ % of the way there... as long as the sound you capture is strong and what the song needs, it doesn't have to be exactly what you originally heard, unless you have the time and budget of a huge band to spend finding that sound!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by Dave C.

so by gain you mean like a distorted tone? like overdrive?

that's not normal. does your interface have a pad on it? is your preamp turned all the way down and it's still distorting? how do the levels look in PTs?