I play in a death metal band and I need a 50 watt (or thereabouts) amp head that can handle it. Multiple channels are a plus (I definitely wouldn't need more than 3) but I would like it to able to do clean too. I wouldn't like to pay more than $1000. Tubes are necessary.
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
You will find that amps with 100 or so watts are going to be more common within that specification.

If you need good cleans, then I would say something like a Mesa Duel Rec ( go for a 2nd hand 2 channel ) or a 2nd hand Mesa MKIV?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
How well would you like to do cleans? That generic recommendation would be a Peavey 6505. However if you need cleans I'd avoid it.

Like Tom said 100 watt's may be the better way to go. Does that $1000 include a cab? At any rate I'd look into a Mesa Single Rec, or a Dual Rec if you can swing it, 2 channel much preferred.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Or you go for a 2nd hand Roadking combo?

though I dont know how much they go for stateside.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The cleans don't have to be spectacular, just not the worst in the world. As long as the EQ is decent it shouldn't be TOO much of a problem. I wouldn't be using them in the band, I would just like to have the option of cleans when I'm playing alone.
The cab is not included. And I'd rather not get 100 watts.
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

when you play metal, 100 watts is not noticeably louder than 50.

if anything, 100 watts head room is much better than 50 watts of head room when you play metal as you want to avoid power tube distortion like the plague.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Exactly what he said ^ Power tube distortion will kill your metal tone. 100 watts is what you want to get, it also allows you to have a bigger selection when choosing amps.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
I mean, if it HAS to be 50 watts, the only thing I can recommend is an ENGL Screamer and a boost.

Otherwise I have no experience with any other amps at the 50 watt point

But I will just add this, there is a reason amps like the 6505/dual rectifiers/Invaders/Herbert are 100 watts and over.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
peavey 6505 combo, mesa single rec/rectoverb, peavey vypyr 60, are what come to mind.
Guitars
Amps
I hate how many people on here say powertube distortion won't give you a good metal tone. Makes me want to bang my head on a brick wall. How do you think people play their 6505's or Dual Recs live?

I'd say get a Single Rectifier if you're really set on a 50W. If you can, try out a Jet City 50W, it may not quite suit you, but it can get brutal especially with the right speakers and a boost. Plus it's only $500 if you want to save some cash.
Quote by ChrisBW
I hate how many people on here say powertube distortion won't give you a good metal tone. Makes me want to bang my head on a brick wall. How do you think people play their 6505's or Dual Recs live?

I'd say get a Single Rectifier if you're really set on a 50W. If you can, try out a Jet City 50W, it may not quite suit you, but it can get brutal especially with the right speakers and a boost. Plus it's only $500 if you want to save some cash.

Those amps have headroom, that's how they avoid too much power tube distortion.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
Those amps have headroom, that's how they avoid too much power tube distortion.

Lol thanks for the pro tip. I mean you're "right" but.... I had a Single Rec and currently use a JCA50 and I play metal. Even with a 50W going above 6 on the master is excessive in any situation for normal people.
Quote by ChrisBW
Lol thanks for the pro tip. I mean you're "right" but.... I had a Single Rec and currently use a JCA50 and I play metal. Even with a 50W going above 6 on the master is excessive in any situation for normal people.

Honestly you are pretty much right. Especially if wherever he's gigging has a PA. And I just realized my frame of reference for when tubes break up is a El84, not the best. 6l6 tubes will have a lot more headroom. So yeah, a 50 watter would be just fine.

However the selection does open up a bit if you include 100 watters in your search.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Last edited by Major Sparky at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by ChrisBW

Those amps don't reach powertube break up until around 8/9.

TS check out the 5150 combos, they are 60 watt 212 and MIA and are easily convertible into a head and cab combination.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
K I guess I would consider 100 watts and over than.

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Look into a Bugera 6262 or something to that effect. My buddy plays a 6262 combo and it sounds awesome. Only costed him 600 bucks.

The make amps on a budget which have plenty of gain. And usually 120 watts or so.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
yeah I've got the Bugera 333XL 120watt 2X12 combo, that can get a really distorted tone, especially in the high gain channel. But it is of course a combo..