So after a few years now of kicking a electronically improved aria pro magna 2 made sometime in the 70's-80's i've come to the conclusion that the bass body is probally the solidest i will ever find (it weighs a good 10 pounds,figureing its swamp ash) so the only way i can really improve my bass is a new bridge and neck now heres my problems

1.The original neck is a 22 fret (Warmoth doesnt make these)
2.I know little about dimensions or scales
3.Its a bolt-on with 4 standard bolts, but no plate i am unsure if this matters or not but figured i'de add it.

but i took some basic measurements
Scale (length from nut to 12th fret) Whole nut measured 44cm

End of nut (End of ruler touching nut not measureing the whole nut, just from where the nut connects to the fretboard) measured 43cm

Im confident in my measurements that it is not standard 42cm

Thickness of neck at nut measured at 2.5cm Thickness at the 12th fret is about 1.7cm
it has a weird taper where the Thickness gets less as you go higher on the fretboard.

the width at the nut is about 1.7cm at the 12th fret its 5.5cm

12th fret height is about 0.2cm

From my own observation the neck seems to be made of maple, fretboard out of average rosewood

So yeah,Any help on getting a custom neck to these measurements would greatly be appreciated. and or alternatives
mesaboogie 750 watt head
Traynor 2x10 1x15 cab
Aria pro 2 magna (With EMG Pj set)
Tech 21 D.I
Jammin and Liveing since 1995
Last edited by ray12342 at Apr 20, 2011,
If Warmoth will make a 24-fret neck; then they will probably saw off two frets to make you a 22-fret neck. Give them a call and ask. If the rest of the dimensions on your Aria are different from a Fender neck, then you will have to go to a custom maker.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Well a 43" scale isnt fender im pretty sure, and i've searched locally for makers, there arent very many who will do custom necks, mostly just bodys and ETC, anyone else got any suggestions? sites, etc? (i havent called warmoth yet) im looking for alternatives first, theyll probally charge me a arm and a leg for 22 frets.
mesaboogie 750 watt head
Traynor 2x10 1x15 cab
Tech 21 D.I
43" scale? Do you have orangutan arms?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Well, i am a bass player... xD

But after some research and it took quite alot onto how to properly determine scale length and etc i have come to the determination that my bass is a 34" Normal scale

and so, after all this time figureing this out i will now explain it for others because i simply could not find this information out until i was scrapeing the very bottom of the music web.

Measureing scale length

First off, its not done in CM its done in INCHES
the proper way of measureing is to measure FROM the nut (Not includeing the nut) pretty much where the FINGERBOARD starts all the way down to your bridge saddle.

most basses are standard 34" 34" is standard length anything below 32" is a short scale and everything above 36" is a long scale

Scale length determines your lows and a bit of your highs cause obviously a longer neck bass will have more low end (more room) and a short scale will have more highs (Less room, higher tension on a shorter string)

so. Thanks anyways UG but i fixed my own problem.
mesaboogie 750 watt head
Traynor 2x10 1x15 cab
Tech 21 D.I
Last edited by ray12342 at Apr 20, 2011,
Just for reference. 35" is massive for most.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Also, scale length is measured in mm or inches. And it's twice the distance from the nut to the 12th fret. This is because your bridge saddles are adjusted for intonation, so cannot be used for accurate measuring.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Indeed nutter is correct you can just double the nut to 12th fret, thats fully accurate however the E strings saddle screw (the thing the saddle sits on) is also exactly 17" away from the 12th fret so you can also measure up to there, thats what i did. and 17" + 17" (Nut to 12th fret,12th fret to E saddle screw) = 32" but for ease nut to 12th fret doubled is probally simpler.
mesaboogie 750 watt head
Traynor 2x10 1x15 cab
Tech 21 D.I