So i recently discovered that pentatonic scales are super awesome, and I have been having fun and training my ear by using them to improv along with songs in my itunes library. i have gotten pretty comfortable with pentatonics and pentatonic minor scales all up and down the neck. Specifically, I really liked playing along with the Black Keys because they had a pretty strong blues feel.

To get more proficient in this kind of blues rock should I learn more scales in this category, or start experimenting with modes of the pentatonics I already know?
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
start trying to add in notes from out side the pentatonic scale to create pulls and other sounds and see if you can get a feel for putting in extra notes, also learn just normal major/minor and try using those to solo as well
i have learnt the majors, in process of minor patterns. they are just harder to match up with music easily, as pretty much all modern rock uses the pentatonics, making messing around with them much easier.
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
do you know the solo's to the black key songs? if not then you might want to check them out, they are definitely a potential source for inspiration
Quote by eoinmorgan
i have learnt the majors, in process of minor patterns. they are just harder to match up with music easily, as pretty much all modern rock uses the pentatonics, making messing around with them much easier.

first all the major scales have a relative minor scale, this means they share the same notes, so if you know how to play in the major scale then you already know how to play in the minor scale...

also when you say major do you mean the actual major scale or the major pentatonic scale?

have you tried learning the blues pentatonic scale? personally I find them more fun they take the minor pentatonic scale we'll use A since there are no sharps or flats in a minor so the notes used in the A minor pentatonic scale are A C D E G A for the blues pentatonic you add a flat 5 so the scale is A C D Eb E G A

a pent looks like this:

e|--------------------------5-8|
b|---------------------5-8-----|
g|----------------5-7----------|
d|-----------5-7---------------|
a|------5-7--------------------|
e|-5-8-------------------------|

A blues looks like this:

e|------------------------------5-8|
b|-------------------------5-8-----|
g|------------------5-7-8----------|
d|-------------5-7-----------------|
a|------5-6-7----------------------|
e|-5-8-----------------------------|

Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.