Page 1 of 4
Hi, we all have some music we either hate or don't care about.

For example I don't care too much about rap just because I don't like vibe.

What about you? State what genre and why?

doesnt sound good is why,

thats why i like Friday so much
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
well this is gonna go over well...

i don't think i really hate a particular genres as a whole though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I hate _________. Why? The fans/the record companies/instrumentation/productions/my personal life/the lyrical content/the compositions/the opinions/my personality/the fact that I just flat out don't like it.
Quote by JacobTheMe
I hate _________. Why? The fans/the record companies/instrumentation/productions/my personal life/the lyrical content/the compositions/the opinions/my personality/the fact that I just flat out don't like it.

you hate myspace?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I don't like electronic music because it removes the performance aspect of music, which is important to me.
Check out my band Disturbed
Usually because it sucks. For example, dubstep. Fuck dubstep. There is not one good sounding minute in the whole genre.
For me it's because it doesn't sound pretty enough. For ME. Like all that screaming stuff to me isn't aesthetically pleasing. I do listen to some tool cause their screaming is tastefully done. But I can't stand most trivium cause they do it through the whole song. I also don't like most of Dizzy Gillespie's big band stuff cause it sounds too forced and there is beauty in spontaneity and comfort. It's an emotional thing. Certain things resonate more with certain people.

I completely agree with Theogonia, I too don't hate genres as a whole.
Most metal, because it's usually so serious.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Jazz, Prog (BTBAM, Dream Theatre, etc.), Deathcore (Whitechapel, BMTH, etc.), grindcore, brutal death. Anything that doesn't have a good hook. I hate shitty monotonous music.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Too much repetition.
Not enough creativity or innovation.
100% electronic music removes the human factor.
Not technical enough, flame me if you will.
'Obvious' sounding. ie: knowing exactly what the whole song will sound like within 10 seconds, no twists or unexpected turns.
Anything with blatant autotune. /obligatory.
The notion that what jewellary you wear in your music video is more important than what the music sounds like.
The notion that semi-naked dancers in your music video make up for terrible music.

Just off the top of my head.
Quote by Colgate Total
Jazz, Prog (BTBAM, Dream Theatre, etc.), Deathcore (Whitechapel, BMTH, etc.), grindcore, brutal death. Anything that doesn't have a good hook. I hate shitty monotonous music.

Dream Theater lack hooks? Last time I checked virtually every single one of their songs has a catchy chorus/lead section in some form or another.
^EDIT: I think the "without a good hook" wasn't applicable to the bands he names, necessarily.

I dislike anything you can't booty-dance to.
Last edited by The Madcap at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by Random3
Dream Theater lack hooks? Last time I checked virtually every single one of their songs has a catchy chorus/lead section in some form or another.

DT is vastly boring and uninspiring.
Quote by cornmancer
I don't really like metal because I just don't. And the fans. But fans ruin everything for everyone, regardless of genre, or even medium.

No, Nickelback fans is what makes it so enjoyable

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Random3

Ignore him. He can't even spell Dream Theater right.
Quote by Random3
Too much repetition.
Not enough creativity or innovation.
100% electronic music removes the human factor.
Not technical enough, flame me if you will.
'Obvious' sounding. ie: knowing exactly what the whole song will sound like within 10 seconds, no twists or unexpected turns.
Anything with blatant autotune. /obligatory.
The notion that what jewellary you wear in your music video is more important than what the music sounds like.
The notion that semi-naked dancers in your music video make up for terrible music.

Just off the top of my head.

I kinda agree...I mean too much focus on image I guess takes away from the music.
Dream Theatre try too hard.

You can make good music without being:

'OMG I AM SO BR00TALZ I CAN DO SONGS THAT ARE 50 MINUTES LONG LOLOL WTFBBQ'

It's just pretentious and boring.
I dislike most jazz because they have a good song, but decide to add in a bunch of fancy chords and chromatics to ruin it. Also because of this.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
hair metal/ glam metal-
its self defeating, you can NOT be glamorous and bang your head at the same time.
some country-
it has no driving rhythm
Quote by Tanglewoodguit

super length is what makes Godspeed you! My Black Emperor so good though....

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I don't think most people hate an entire genre unless they flat out can't stand something about it

But I do hate individual bands/artist like green day, icp, justin beiber, that girl with the song about waking up and eating cereal
Are all examples of what I don't like though
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

I don't hate any type of music, and I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't haha. I mean there are some sub generes that I don't really like, but I can stand most of them.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
super length is what makes Godspeed you! My Black Emperor so good though....

That's post-rockity rock though, it's the nature of the beast.
I despise progressive music because it lacks any sort of consideration for architectural cohesion. It is incredibly excessive in both performance and composition. There is no logic to hold the many sections of the music, and there is nothing to enforce each new idea in the music as something that is native and unique to that particular piece. It is all a bunch of underdeveloped materials created and discarded in an incredibly wasteful manner.

I don't care for rap or any lyrics driven music because I don't care about words.

I also hate minimalism. It is so awful and repetitive and relies almost solely on the primitive side of humanity to generate some sort of intuitive interest. Too bad that interest quickly dissipates when the same 2 bars of music is repeated 500 times.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 19, 2011,
Usually if a song is predictable where I can guess how it sort of sounds on a first listen, it scratches itself off the list. Unfortunately, a lot of pop lends itself to this. I've been guilty of a few pop songs though.

Mainstream country music has very little innovation, and I'm inclined to hate it. There might be good stuff under the surface, but I'm not motivated to look for it.

And finally, I hate certain subgenres of metal. Usually they're the ones that are filled with lots of bands who make a lot of their music based off excessive rage and/or image.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I don't see it.

It's all pretentious tripe IMO.

The music itself is a story in Godspeed,

it changes moods and is extremely fluent.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Lo-fi, specifically The Mountain Goats, because if you can afford to record out of something that isn't a one track tape deck from the early 1980's, you should probably do it. Buy an SM-57 for christ sake...
I hate this topic. There are genres I dislike, sure. But that's a far cry from having your head up your own ass. I judge bands and artists on an individual basis, and writing off entire styles has done nothing for me except make me look silly in the long run. If you think you can objectively write off an entire form of music, you're kidding yourself, and missing the point of music.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I despise progressive music because it lacks any sort of consideration for architectural cohesion. It is incredibly excessive in both performance and composition. There is no logic to hold the many sections of the music, and there is nothing to enforce each new idea in the music as something that is native and unique to that particular piece. It is all a bunch of underdeveloped materials created and discarded in an incredibly wasteful manner.

I don't care for rap or any lyrics driven music because I don't care about words.

I also hate minimalism. It is so awful and repetitive and relies almost solely on the primitive side of humanity to generate some sort of intuitive interest. Too bad that interest quickly dissipates when the same 2 bars of music is repeated 500 times.

Is it the time signature changes that make progressive music pretty messy to you? Just curious

I kinda agree a bit. Lyric driven music minimalizes the instrumentation too much that to me it gets too boring to listen to

Though I like minimalism, too much of it gets boring. Tastefully applied though it's ok
Quote by Iommianity
I hate this topic. There are genres I dislike, sure. But that's a far cry from having your head up your own ass. I judge bands and artists on an individual basis, and writing off entire styles has done nothing for me except make me look silly in the long run. If you think you can objectively write off an entire form of music, you're kidding yourself, and missing the point of music.

This attitude annoys me. I know Xiaoxi agrees with me on this, but there is nothing wrong with dismissing an entire genre of music if you don't like the fundamentals it is based on.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit

not all bands write long songs for the sake of writing long songs. sometimes, you just get ideas that work, and you need time to develop them all properly. the songs not really over until there's no where else for it to go without forcing something completely illogical or repeating something too many times. and how are long songs any more boring than several shorter ones of the same length, unless the one long song repeats everything like 10 times?

and what's with everyone in this thread spelling Dream Theater wrong? is it really so hard to remember to spell their name as theater and not theatre? i mean, i don't ever misspell Living Colour as "Living Color."
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 4