Page 1 of 2
Basically, what do you guys consider to be the difference between nu-metalcore and melodic metalcore. I know bands like The Devil Wears Prada and Asking Alexandria are often called nu-metalcore in this forum and I've seen bands like Misery Signals and Counterparts called melodic metalcore, but were is the line drawn? For example, what about bands that have been fairly popular for a longer time, such as All That Remains and Killswitch Engage.

Also, do you guys think that these two genres are legitamate subgenres of metalcore or are part of there own pseudo-genre or something?

Thanks
Y'all don't say that
Nu-metalcore is a term used by elitists to separate the newer wave of metalcore bands they like from the newer wave of metalcore bands they don't like.

Neither of them is a legitimate subgenre. They're all metalcore bands. Nothing with the modifier "melodic" in front of it is an actual subgenre, it's just a description. Melodic metalcore is metalcore.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
melodic metalcore isn't a sub genre, it's just a characteristic that a lot of metalcore has (especially nu-metalcore).

The term nu-metalcore itself is used to distinguish the 90s sound from most of the stuff you here today, eg: Converge vs. As I lay dying.

^ it's actually used by elitists to distinguish good metalcore from bad metalcore. For example, I don't like Botch, but I respect them, and can say they are a decent band.
Last edited by technicolour at Apr 19, 2011,
My diction is not excellent so I can't really put this into words easily, I'll just say this - the main way that I personally can tell the difference is just by listening and if the band in particular is signed to Rise Records, they will almost always be nu-metalcore.
Quote by jackblackyeah17
were is the line drawn?

No one was every original by drawing lines for themselves to stay between

(one of my favorite quotes)
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Nu-metalcore is a term used by elitists to separate the newer wave of metalcore bands they like from the newer wave of metalcore bands they don't like.

Neither of them is a legitimate subgenre. They're all metalcore bands. Nothing with the modifier "melodic" in front of it is an actual subgenre, it's just a description. Melodic metalcore is metalcore.

This is exactly right.

Quote by technicolour
^ it's actually used by elitists to distinguish good metalcore from bad metalcore.

Here we go again.
Quote by TheBDanAbstract
This is exactly right.

Here we go again.

I think I was being pretty fair.Musical taste is subjective, but good song writing isn't. Also, you guys gotta stop crying about elitists, it's the same thing when you bash bands like attack attack and brokencyde.
Quote by technicolour
I think I was being pretty fair.Musical taste is subjective, but good song writing isn't. Also, you guys gotta stop crying about elitists, it's the same thing when you bash bands like attack attack and brokencyde.

I wasn't complaining about elitism, just facepalming because of the subjective nature of the statement.

I personally like a lot of what is considered "nu-metalcore". Not because I'm a newfag or anything, I've been listening to stuff like this since middle school. I was completely uninterested in any of that nu-metal shit clogging the airwaves in the early 2000's(exceot Linkin Park, I loved Hybrid Theory), and things like Avenged Sevenfold's Waking The Fallen and Atreyu's The Curse revived my faith in heavy music.
Well, that's good for you, that is your subjective preference. But I can assure you, if you stick with extreme music long enough, and really are passionate about it you will get tired of those bands. I was the same way - listening to Unearth's the oncoming storm in grade 9, now I really can't stand any of it.
Quote by technicolour
Well, that's good for you, that is your subjective preference. But I can assure you, if you stick with extreme music long enough, and really are passionate about it you will get tired of those bands. I was the same way - listening to Unearth's the oncoming storm in grade 9, now I really can't stand any of it.

I've tried over and over again. Just not my thing. I always give bands a fair shot. I often give them more than one shot. It took about 3 different listens to La Dispute to get me stoked on them. I gave The Devil Wears Prada like 3 shots, still don't like them. I like a little of everything, but will always have a soft spot for stuff like Atreyu. But this new wave of stuff like Asking Alexandria, Emmure, Atilla, Dr. Acula, all of this shit... I'm slowly losing faith in heavy music again. That's why I mainly listen to pop-punk nowadays. Worked for me in the nu-metal era haha.
Quote by TheBDanAbstract
I literally cannot take that term seriously. Haha.

DJENT DJENT DJENT!

its not meant to be a serious term haha

its just that the whole djent community is so tightly packed that it just becomes a general term for music that come out of that group

and remember kids

2 part groove and 1 part mids haha!
Quote by TheBDanAbstract
I've tried over and over again. Just not my thing. I always give bands a fair shot. I often give them more than one shot. It took about 3 different listens to La Dispute to get me stoked on them. I gave The Devil Wears Prada like 3 shots, still don't like them. I like a little of everything, but will always have a soft spot for stuff like Atreyu. But this new wave of stuff like Asking Alexandria, Emmure, Atilla, Dr. Acula, all of this shit... I'm slowly losing faith in heavy music again. That's why I mainly listen to pop-punk nowadays. Worked for me in the nu-metal era haha.

wait...I don't think we're on the same page...

All those bands you've listened I consider nu-metalcore (except for la dispute) and all terribly generic. I meant, I went from bands like unearth to more extreme metal such as Weakling and Dead congregation.
Quote by technicolour

All those bands you've listened I consider nu-metalcore (except for la dispute) and all terribly generic. I meant, I went from bands like unearth to more extreme metal such as Weakling and Dead congregation.

Oh, no, I understand you. I've tried listening to more raw metalcore and some hardcore, but I only end up liking like 1/20 bands I listen to. As you can tell by my signature, I can't stand Converge. Never have been able to. Same for Number 12(I saw their thread get revived today.)

I really don't stick to one genre anyway. I come to the Hardcore forum mainly because it's very involved and a few of my favorite bands are here(The Human Abstract, BTBAM, PTH, etc.) I went from llistening to You Me At Six to Periphery today haha.
oh, well I wouldn't consider #12 to be very raw. But yeah, it requires more effort on the part of the listener - hence the acquired taste part. But believe me, it's worth it in the end. However, it could just be - and don't take this as an insult, it's not meant to be - that you just enjoy the melodies/hooks, and that's what draws you to metalcore.
Quote by technicolour
oh, well I wouldn't consider #12 to be very raw. But yeah, it requires more effort on the part of the listener - hence the acquired taste part. But believe me, it's worth it in the end. However, it could just be - and don't take this as an insult, it's not meant to be - that you just enjoy the melodies/hooks, and that's what draws you to metalcore.

That's exactly it. Believe me, the first time I heard Between The Buried in me was right when Alaska was about to come out, and right away I was blown away by the guitar playing, but put off by the vocals and wild song structures. It took me about until the time Colors came out(2007) to form my theistic worship of them.
Quote by TheBDanAbstract
I'm slowly losing faith in heavy music again. That's why I mainly listen to pop-punk nowadays. Worked for me in the nu-metal era haha.

Don't be one of those people. I hate when people say things like this. What makes you look past all the shitty pop-punk bands that get radio play and not Emmure and Asking Alexandria? There are always shitty bands and there are always incredible bands, in every genre.
the amount of genre-izing in the metal/hardcore scene is absurd, just listen to the damn music!
Quote by boratian
the amount of genre-izing in the metal/hardcore scene is absurd, just listen to the damn music!

"Dude I need some new music to listen to, I like hardcore such as Dead Swans and Killing the Dream."

"Hardcore? Oh okay, here's some Bad Brains and Black Flag."

That's why subgenres exist.
But that makes it too easy. I think we should do away with all systems of organization for everything.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by technicolour
I think I was being pretty fair.Musical taste is subjective, but good song writing isn't.

I think you were being pretty fair too, actually, but I still don't feel satisfied with this either because there's still a degree of subjectiveness. For instance, there are a LOT of bands that you guys listen to that do absolutely nothing for me- I don't feel a bit of emotion or integrity in the music whatsoever. I wouldn't call those bands good. And then there are bands that I respect but don't listen to a lot- The Number 12, The Red Chord, Periphery, Into the Moat, etc- that I would describe as good but that many people wouldn't/don't.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I think you were being pretty fair too, actually, but I still don't feel satisfied with this either because there's still a degree of subjectiveness. For instance, there are a LOT of bands that you guys listen to that do absolutely nothing for me- I don't feel a bit of emotion or integrity in the music whatsoever. I wouldn't call those bands good. And then there are bands that I respect but don't listen to a lot- The Number 12, The Red Chord, Periphery, Into the Moat, etc- that I would describe as good but that many people wouldn't/don't.

well again I would attribute that to your preference, if it doesn't do anything for you fair enough. Stuff changes over time. 3 years ago I would've never considered many death metal bands "atmospheric" but that's all changed now.
Quote by technicolour

Just popping in to say that both these bands are excellent, and that when most people call something 'melodic metalcore', they are referring to the same style we refer to as 'nu-metalcore'.
Ohai.

Actually from Canada.
Nu-metalcore sounds nothing like old metalcore, so I wouldn't shy away from labelling bands based on that. Don't get me wrong - I like some nu-metalcore like BTBAM on occasion, and bands like #12 and DEP that bridge the gap. It's just that...well, if you acquire a taste in the old metalcore, it's tough to go back. Almost impossible, really.

Shit, I'm more of a screamo guy anyway.
Quote by MustangMan311
Don't be one of those people. I hate when people say things like this. What makes you look past all the shitty pop-punk bands that get radio play and not Emmure and Asking Alexandria? There are always shitty bands and there are always incredible bands, in every genre.

But there are not enough great metalcore bands coming about these days. So when I shift gears and listen mainly to another style of music, it doesn't have that stagnating effect. Yet.
Quote by ginger5138
Well, The Devil Wears Prada is called nu-metalcore by most people, but I still like them.

Just because they're nu-metalcore doesn't mean you're not allowed to like them >_>
Quote by ginger5138
Well, The Devil Wears Prada is called nu-metalcore by most people, but I still like them.

Also, that. ^
Last edited by punkforlife93 at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by Meelad360
Just because they're nu-metalcore doesn't mean you're not allowed to like them >_>

So are they still "nu-metalcore", or is that a subjective term?
I see no issue with using prefixes like "nu" or "melodic" to sum up a particular movement of a certain genre. A lot of people confuse correlation with causation with these things. The band's aren't playing the music because of the genre name, the genre name just applies to the music by chance and works perfectly. As Meelad said, if I ask someone for "melodic" hardcore recs, I'm asking for a specific group of bands like The Carrier, Verse, Have Heart, etc. It's no different than someone asking for "old school hardcore".
Quote by ginger5138

Has the use of the term "nu-metalcore" actually taken off to the point where "most people" familiar with the genre are actually using it?
I think he meant "most people in this forum."

God, that's what I hope he meant.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Magero
As Meelad said, if I ask someone for "melodic" hardcore recs, I'm asking for a specific group of bands like The Carrier, Verse, Have Heart, etc. It's no different than someone asking for "old school hardcore".

Too bad most kids now think of For The Fallen Dreams, The Ghost Inside, A Day to Remember when they think melodic hardcore.

New genre: Nu-Melodic Hardcore?
Quote by llanafreak44
Too bad most kids now think of For The Fallen Dreams, The Ghost Inside, A Day to Remember when they think melodic hardcore.

New genre: Nu-Melodic Hardcore?

Yeah, but if someone is recommending me those bands, then I don't have much to gain from their music knowledge anyway.
Page 1 of 2