Does anyone know what happened to these PRS copies Tokai used to make? I was looking for a new guitar a few years back and I used to see these all the time because I was thinking about buying one. I know they're pretty good quality and recently I decided maybe I should pick one up finally. I can't find them anywhere and they don't seem to be on ebay anymore even though they were all over the place a few years back. Does Tokai not make them anymore? They look so hot and if they play anything like a PRS I'm sure they play wonderfully. If they do still make them, does anyone know where in Canada to get them?
Attachments:
Tokai PRS Red.jpg
wow that's nice.

i'm going to guess lawsuit.

just a guess.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yeah, i'm guessing lawsuit. Or more like the threat of one.

I think they still make them. http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=100&category_id=14&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31 (crazy price, though, most japanese prices have gone through the roof because of the strong yen )

Just be careful with tokais in canada, there are a lot of fakes in canada.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What you can get used prs for 425 dollars?

Damn.

Edit: just saw it said 1425!!!! **** that shit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It´ll never come close to playing like a real PRS, thats just a fake ripoff and nothing more.
Tokai are actually very good guitars, some of their high end LPs I have played have been just as good if not better or at least more consistent as the Gibsons I have played

I am a big fan of Jap guitars and considering the prices of PRS in the UK, the Tokai, if its as good as their high end LPs I would imagine it would be a very very very nice guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
at $1450? i'd rather have a used PRS, it will hold it's value.
Aye but a used PRS over here is still something daft like 1.5k plus and new all the good ones are closer to 3k.

But I see your point.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
well that in mind i see your point.

certain markets, this could be a really good option. if the guitars play nice etc and don't weigh in at like 2 pounds.

the tokais i've played have been really nice guitars.

i'd want to know if they are one piece backs, chambered and whatnot. i'd expect a weight of 7-8 pounds.
yeah,

i mean when you told me how much you would charge for your PRS I jumped all over it because even after postage and tax its still a great price.

These Tokais could be awesome, though they also do much cheaper ones that were easily on par with SEs.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Back in.....2007(?) when I was looking at these Tokais they were priced around $500 CAD give or take 100 or so. I kick myself every time I look back at that
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i'm guessing lawsuit. Or more like the threat of one.

I think they still make them. http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=100&category_id=14&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31 (crazy price, though, most japanese prices have gone through the roof because of the strong yen )

Just be careful with tokais in canada, there are a lot of fakes in canada.

Is it just me or does the neck look really wide?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

^ yeah, it does look quite wide. Not sure

Quote by gregs1020

i'd want to know if they are one piece backs, chambered and whatnot. i'd expect a weight of 7-8 pounds.

at that price i would imagine a one-piece back, though at the same time they don't actually say it's one-piece (and they normally do when it is). Also only a figured veneer over plain maple . I don't think tokai chamber either (but again I could be wrong).

But yeah, i mean it's just too dear. If that went for £600 or £700 (which is probably what it would have gone for before the prices went crazy), then that'd be a great option- it'd completely blow away a PRS SE, for example, for only slightly more than the SE.

But at something comparable to PRS prices- I mean you guys know how much I dislike the big brands and like MIJ Tokais, and even I'd be struggling not to just take the PRS.

Quote by sstony
It´ll never come close to playing like a real PRS, thats just a fake ripoff and nothing more.

lolwut?

The MIJ tokais are great.

That being said- I think that's way too dear for one (though that's the list price, I'd wager street price would be a fair bit less). The whole point of MIJ tokais is that you can get something better than the big brands, for less (note, I don't mean that the cheapest MIJ tokai will be as good as a custom shop gibson or fender- when I say "better", i mean compared to things at a similar price point- a £600 MIJ tokai will generally blow away a £600 gibson). Now that the tokai prices have gone through the roof...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, it does look quite wide. Not sure

at that price i would imagine a one-piece back, though at the same time they don't actually say it's one-piece (and they normally do when it is). Also only a figured veneer over plain maple . I don't think tokai chamber either (but again I could be wrong).

But yeah, i mean it's just too dear. If that went for £600 or £700 (which is probably what it would have gone for before the prices went crazy), then that'd be a great option- it'd completely blow away a PRS SE, for example, for only slightly more than the SE.

But at something comparable to PRS prices- I mean you guys know how much I dislike the big brands and like MIJ Tokais, and even I'd be struggling not to just take the PRS.

lolwut?

The MIJ tokais are great.

That being said- I think that's way too dear for one (though that's the list price, I'd wager street price would be a fair bit less). The whole point of MIJ tokais is that you can get something better than the big brands, for less (note, I don't mean that the cheapest MIJ tokai will be as good as a custom shop gibson or fender- when I say "better", i mean compared to things at a similar price point- a £600 MIJ tokai will generally blow away a £600 gibson). Now that the tokai prices have gone through the roof...

It´s either a real PRS or it´s not, and they are not, if you think that guitar is as good as an american prs then you know nothing about guitars.
Not really stony.

Guitars can be better than a prs lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Not really stony.

Hahaha I'm so proud to be sig'd right here.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Not really stony.

So which copies are better ? I´ll tell you, NONE.
I never said anything about copies? I also never said that Tokai would be better than a PRS.

The closest I would have said to that statement would have been along the lines of what Dave said, at their old price point, they would have been a brilliant alternative to the SE lines

I miss read your post and thought you meant any other guitar, apologies

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Everythings cool. I just dislike ripoff guitar companys trying to sell something that it´s not.
Last edited by sstony at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by sstony
It´s either a real PRS or it´s not, and they are not, if you think that guitar is as good as an american prs then you know nothing about guitars.

I never said it was as good as an american PRS.

The MIJ Tokais I've tried at around that price point probably aren't just as good as an american PRS- but they are very good guitars.

At the old price point, they'd annihilate a PRS SE, for not much more money. (The tokai would have been maybe £600-£700 while the PRS SE would have been maybe £500.)

Obviously now they're a lot more and are a less sensible purchase when you can get an american PRS for not much more. As I said, even as a Tokai fan, I'd be struggling to justify it over the PRS (though that is RRP, street price would be lower... probably not enough lower, though).

I just disagreed with your statement which was basically that it must suck because it's a copy. That's idiotic logic, if you ask me. You're letting your prejudices ("I just dislike ripoff guitar companys trying to sell something that it´s not.") get in the way of objective analysis. That's your prerogative, of course, but don't act like everyone else is an idiot, then. Heck PRSes ripped off the Les Paul Junior/Special DC outline.

FWIW I'd take an MIJ tokai over a gibson short of the custom shop stuff. Ditto Fender.

PRS is a bit different because they don't really have the mid-range quality USA-made guitars, they either have the cheaper korean ones, or the more expensive american-made ones.

No PRS copy is better? I guess it depends on what you consider a copy... is a patrick eggle a copy? A Nik Huber? I mean a lot of high-end guitars follow the PRS blueprint, though might not be exact copies.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 21, 2011,
I actually have a PRS Tokai exactly like the one pictured and it is a fine guitar. However, I replaced the bridge, tuners and put in Anderson pickups, which made it even better. I also once owned a PRS Standard 24, which I also liked quite a bit. They're both good guitars, the PRS being much more expensive. I actually like the neck on the Tokai better. If you see one of these Tokais somewhere, check them out. I actually traded a SG 61 Reissue for it and am much happier with the Tokai than I ever was with the SG.
Hi guys
I am selling Tokai PRS guitar Made in Korea.
Body and neck are made of mahagony. It has 0.5cm maple cap with flame maple veneer.
Rosewood fretboard and 24 frets in perfect condition. Unlike SE models, it has beveled top.
Pickups: 18k bridge i 12.5k neck, ceramics.
I put new nut, springs and Alpha 500K pot.
Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/nJhmI
Guitar location: Croatia, Europe.