I'm kinda stuck between those two guitars, S770 and S750.. basically from their website shown, it has the same spec but different finish. The difference is only in the price where S570 which have solid white finish is much cheaper.

I've tried the S770 last weekend but the shop doesn't have the s570 to try. I got a local online seller who sells the s570 (and the s770 at much cheaper price than the shop!). I loved the tone and versetality of the S770.

So the question is, does the different finish gives different tone or something? brighter or darker for different tone?

thanx!
Quote by stratman_13
I like, had_hc!

Sexy LP
I doubt the finish really effects it. Choose which one you like better. I'd go w/ the s770 on the basis you've played it.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
I think one has a maple top which may make it slightly brighter than the one with the solid finish.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

It looks like it's an appearance issue. I don't buy the whole "veneer top gives a different sound" thing. It all depends on your preference for the look of the guitar and the size of the price difference I'd say.
Quote by Necronomicon
It looks like it's an appearance issue. I don't buy the whole "veneer top gives a different sound" thing.

I don't have any hands-on experience with it but I've heard that it can change your sound.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Levi79
Get a used S540 from the 90`s. I got both of mine for under 600 and they are the same quality, if not better than the Prestige S5470. All the S540`s have better trems than the ones Ibanez offers today thats for sure.

I don't live in the US.. and there's no one selling it 2nd hand locally from local forums that i searched..

i'm actually more to the S770 but price difference is pretty huge between the S770 and S570.. if only looks is the difference, i think it would be pretty wise (financially) to choose the S570.. but worried that it would give different tone than what i tested with S770..

Anybody tried both?
Quote by stratman_13
I like, had_hc!

Sexy LP
Ive been looking at the S series for a while, and from what i can tell, theres very little difference between the cheapest (s420) and the most expensive (s770) apart from maybe quality and the middle pickup. Ive only played the s570 + it played very well, so im seriously considering buying the s420 as i cant justify spending 100 more for a middle pickup + maybe slightly better quality
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by DegaDeth
Ive been looking at the S series for a while, and from what i can tell, theres very little difference between the cheapest (s420) and the most expensive (s770) apart from maybe quality and the middle pickup. Ive only played the s570 + it played very well, so im seriously considering buying the s420 as i cant justify spending 100 more for a middle pickup + maybe slightly better quality

i tried the s420 also.. its also pretty good guitar compared with s770.. but IMO, the s770 has more versetality to it.. s420 is still versetile with its 5 selector pickup config, but s770 manage to produce more different kind of tone to my ears..
Quote by stratman_13
I like, had_hc!

Sexy LP
Quote by had_hc
i tried the s420 also.. its also pretty good guitar compared with s770.. but IMO, the s770 has more versetality to it.. s420 is still versetile with its 5 selector pickup config, but s770 manage to produce more different kind of tone to my ears..

I suppose if you look at it in the way that the S420 is mainly suited to heavier styles due to the 2 humbuckers, the S770 is the most versatile thanks to having middle pickup and maple veneer (more range of tone) and the S570 is kinda a half-way house between the 2.

I suppose if ur looking for versatility the S770 would be the best as it has the middle single pickup.

BTW what was the quality of the S420 like compared to the S770? I'm planning on ordering one next week at the guitar shop I use but won't be able to try one out until mine arrives.
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Quote by DegaDeth
I suppose if you look at it in the way that the S420 is mainly suited to heavier styles due to the 2 humbuckers, the S770 is the most versatile thanks to having middle pickup and maple veneer (more range of tone) and the S570 is kinda a half-way house between the 2.

I suppose if ur looking for versatility the S770 would be the best as it has the middle single pickup.

BTW what was the quality of the S420 like compared to the S770? I'm planning on ordering one next week at the guitar shop I use but won't be able to try one out until mine arrives.

Dont.

Lurk ebay for a 2nd hand S540.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Dont.

Lurk ebay for a 2nd hand S540.

Why not? Just because its made in Indonesia instead of Korea?

EDIT: Sorry, my bad. Didn't realise that that was the old prestige model number
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

Last edited by DegaDeth at Apr 20, 2011,
No worries

they are pretty much the best S's they ever made, proper woods, great necks and the best bridge.

beautiful looking too!

There is one on eGay for 699 but they usually go for sub 500 all the time.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
No worries

they are pretty much the best S's they ever made, proper woods, great necks and the best bridge.

beautiful looking too!

There is one on eGay for 699 but they usually go for sub 500 all the time.

Yeah, saw that one. Amazing finish on it.

Saw a Korean made S520 (2005 model) on it as well. Thoughts?
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

Silver one with EMG looking pups?

Solid guitar, but again, I am the worlds biggest Fuji fanboi

I would say save for a S540.

the one on there, their was an identical one for £450 BIN

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Silver one with EMG looking pups?

Solid guitar, but again, I am the worlds biggest Fuji fanboi

I would say save for a S540.

the one on there, their was an identical one for £450 BIN

Christ, this is what I hate about these forums. As soon as I have my heart set on a guitar, someone comes along and tells me something like that

And btw, I would've been all over ur RG2550, but tbh I prefer the feel of the S bodies over the RG now. Just way more comfy. That guitar is a steal at that price
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

it didnt sell so he might post it back up some time this week or sunday most likely mate.

S bodies are the sex, I just prefer the way RGs feel when standing up with them

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Sorry to hear about that. U'll get it sold at some stage i'm sure

Just a quick question, I take it the S520 would be better quality than the S420? But wouldn't the S520 have the trem arm holder that was more prone to breaking, whereas the S420 has the revised version?
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

no i mean the s540 didnt sell lol

i sold my rg half hour ago

i would say those 2 would be very closely matched tbh

MII stuff is pretty much on par with the MIK stuff now.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Wait, what? I'm completely confused here . Which S540 didn't sell?

And congrats on the sell
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

Serious? In that finish? And in good condition?

If it comes up again I would seriously consider it. Thanks man
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

Looked it yeah, I asked him about it and he told me £450.

IIRC it had gold hardware though, but still tres sexy

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
There's always a catch isn't there.It might look alrite tho, even tho I'm not a fan of gold.

I wasn't planning on ordering the S420 until next week anyway, so I'll see what all crops up on ebay between now and then, and I might just hold off ordering the S420 for a bit longer. Thanks lad for the tip

EDIT: Sorry, posted it before I got a chance to look at the listing. Its got a floyd? One of the reasons why I was going for the S series is because of the ZR

DOUBLEDIT: Lo-Pro Edge trem on S540. He prob swapped it out for a gold floyd at some stage
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

Last edited by DegaDeth at Apr 20, 2011,
No its got an edge, they just look alot like floyds.

they all had gold hardware, you will find that the ones with Cosmo or black hardware had them changed from Gold.

for £400 I would say thats well worth a punt.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd go with the guitar Tom 1.0 posted.
Trust me when I say you won't notice much of a difference between the Floyd on that or a ZR.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Apr 20, 2011,
I grabbed my 1993 turquoise burst S540fmtt from ebay for $640 with a case and some extras. I paid too much but the guy that posted it said it was all original with the original case and manual and all that crap and that it had been professionally set up etc. I was all excited and when it came it had an EMG in it (grrrrr), the case was some cheap POS and all it had in it was a cheap strap, some strings and some picks. The set-up was terrible too. I was PISSED. I filed a claim and got $110 back but if I'd known I would have just waited for a better one. Make sure if you buy it off ebay you get what's actually in the auction. I had to do some serious work on mine because of it's neglect in order to get it to perform properly but I did and it now plays awesome. I'll have to pull that damn EMG out too...

PS: If anyone wants this seller's name to steer clear of him PM me.
Last edited by Necronomicon at Apr 20, 2011,