ive been playing a few years. i only alternate pick. (ive practiced sweeping and can economy pick/sweep relatively naturally now, but i wont be satisfied with my ability until i can alternate pick at an expert level). ive tried following the wisdom from this site; i practice w a metronome, i make it sound right playing cleanly, pick from the wrist, im relaxed, i learn songs, do scale drills covering all the right hand movements that i can. my problem is sometimes im on and other times its like "where are the strings" but even when im on i feel kind of like im hanging on. i wonder if therere things that can be done extra? things like picking notes a little harder than is necessary... idk

i guess i have specific question: i pick w the wrist, but as i go from string to string part of the arm must move or your hand will change angle drastically from low e to high e. so is it proper to raise and lower the part of your arm shoulder-to-elbow slightly, keeping your arm elbow-to-wrist at a fixed angle as you go from string to string; or is it proper to keep your elbow fixed while your arm elbow-to-wrist rotates slightly from the elbow to get from string to string while the picking motion is still of course coming from the wrist?
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
Just relax man. That helped me more than any other advice.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Quote by xkreedx
Just relax man. That helped me more than any other advice.

Agreed
Don't try and push yourself to master a technique as fast as possible. It will feel natural one day let it come on its own.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I have to agree with the other guys. Why is it so important to you to be awesome at alternate picking? The best advice I have, aside from what the other two had to say, is to learn/improve skills as you need them. I mean, i could learn to sweep pick like a fiend, but I don't play much music that uses it, so why put in all my time with it when I could be working on chord transitions?

Anyway, that's all I've got. Happy playing!
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
k tx. i do tend to get eager to play as fast i can.
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
Quote by DaysofGrace
I have to agree with the other guys. Why is it so important to you to be awesome at alternate picking? The best advice I have, aside from what the other two had to say, is to learn/improve skills as you need them. I mean, i could learn to sweep pick like a fiend, but I don't play much music that uses it, so why put in all my time with it when I could be working on chord transitions?

Anyway, that's all I've got. Happy playing!

its important for me to be good at alternate picking because i play with a pick. if i can control the pick i should be able to alternate pick. like some one said on this board once, not all licks can be economy picked but all can be alternate picked. at least up to a certain speed. certainly a speed thats beyond me. also it sounds more consistent. ...reading threads around here, i cant help but think a lot of ppl just switch to economy picking early in their playing days cuz they didnt want to put the time in to getting used to outside picking.

also i do practice chords as i care a lot about composing