Page 2 of 25
Quote by SlayingDragons
So, uh, does binaural/isotonic music actually work? Like, getting you into the state of mind they claim?

They make it much easier for me to relax. Maybe I just need some white noise to hide the tinnitus.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Quote by Vendetta V
could also be placebo effect

I can get the same effect with ambient sounds though so I assume it's just because it's better than what I hear in "silence".
i had a dream last night where i was watching two female turtles fornicate. they both spoke in hebrew and were the size of people. and they were doing it on a bed.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by SlayingDragons
So, uh, does binaural/isotonic music actually work? Like, getting you into the state of mind they claim?

It has worked for me. It's weird.. I was extremely relaxed, but i could feel my muscles tingling. I thought it was all bullshit before i tried it Just try it out, i guess the effects will be different from person to person.

EDIT: It's not just a 5 minute track either.. Some go for half an hour, some longer than that. So over that half an hour or listening to it, you're just getting more and more relaxed. By the end of it, you just feel like you've melted into your bed. It's awesome
Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.

Vast turbulence of meteors and galactic dust..
Parallel undefined measurements..
Time has new form, life has new form..
Last edited by ChristGrind at Apr 20, 2011,
Alright, I *think* I have experienced this stuff before. I actually never knew what it was until I learned about it on here. Time for a question-fest.
*LONG POST*

So, after I have a lot of experience, can I just change my dreams to whatever I want? Can I just randomly decide where I want to be, what I'm doing, and what sensations I have? Example: Can I just randomly turn my dream to a forest, then switch to being a river? Also, hypothetically,couldn't you alter time where a 10 minute period in your dream could only be a second of sleep? Sorry, I'm just really curious about this.

Also, can someone be born better at lucid dreaming? I mean, I've always been able to wake myself up in dreams, if I don't like them, and usually know I'm dreaming. I also remember a majority of my dreams. No prior training.

On a related note, I think I have experienced hypnogogia before. 3 examples for you: I remember when I was about 12/13, that I was in an Indiana Jones-esque cavern, wearing the typical Indiana Jones get up, and there were these two shiny orbs a distance away, on two pedestals. The cave was damp, with water dripping from the top, if that is of any relevance. Anyway, I finally got to these orbs, touched them, and I instantly woke up with this extreme screeching noise in my ears. I could see, was awake, and everything was real, I could feel, my room was exactly the same, and I could distinguish everything clearly, but only I heard it. My dog, who would definately react, didn't. It subsided after a minute. The other was when I saw these two cats on a fence, went and tried to pet them, and the same situation happened again. Then another time, I don't remember the dream, I wokes up and my vision was blurred and I heard what sounded like speech. Is this hypnogogia?

Last, before you enter a lucid dream, does your body go through a sensation of sorts? I know that whenever I get this cold, pleasant feeling, than a tight, hard-to-breathe feeling, and fall asleep, I have partial control of my dream, but it only lasts around 10 seconds.

Thanks for the help, guys. This thread rocks
Last edited by LesPaulGuy514 at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by LesPaulGuy514

So, after I have a lot of experience, can I just change my dreams to whatever I want? Can I just randomly decide where I want to be, what I'm doing, and what sensations I have? Example: Can I just randomly turn my dream to a forest, then switch to being a river? Also, hypothetically,couldn't you alter time where a 10 minute period in your dream could only be a second of sleep? Sorry, I'm just really curious about this.

Also, can someone be born better at lucid dreaming? I mean, I've always been able to wake myself up in dreams, if I don't like them, and usually know I'm dreaming. I also remember a majority of my dreams. No prior training.

On a related note, I think I have experienced hypnogogia before. 3 examples for you: I remember when I was about 12/13, that I was in an Indiana Jones-esque cavern, wearing the typical Indiana Jones get up, and there were these two shiny orbs a distance away, on two pedestals. The cave was damp, with water dripping from the top, if that is of any relevance. Anyway, I finally got to these orbs, touched them, and I instantly woke up with this extreme screeching noise in my ears. I could see, was awake, and everything was real, I could feel, my room was exactly the same, and I could distinguish everything clearly, but only I heard it. My dog, who would definately react. It subsided after a minute. The other was when I saw these two cats on a fence, went and tried to pet them, and the same situation happened again. Then another time, I don't remember the dream, I wokes up and my vision was blurred and I heard what sounded like speech. Is this hypnogogia?

Last, before you enter a lucid dream, does your body go through a sensation of sorts? I know that whenever I get this cold, pleasant feeling, than a tight, hard-to-breathe feeling, and fall asleep, I have partial control of my dream, but it only lasts around 10 seconds.

Thanks for the help, guys. This thread rocks

Yes, with practice at controlling your dreams you can make them anything you can imagine. You could make a forest of blue trees that sang Bob Dylan songs if you want. There are really no limits to it.
Time alteration is a subject that is often touched upon. I have no clue if it is possible or not.

Some people are naturally more vivid dreamers. There are also natural lucid dreamers, who have had LD's all their life without having to use any of these techniques.

That sounds exactly like hypnagogia.

As for the sensation you feel, is that as you're falling asleep, or while you're in your dream? Whenever I become lucid in a dream a sort of rush sweeps all through my body, and it only lasts for a moment. Nothing feels different as I go to sleep last night.

On another note, I woke up this morning and wrote down my dreams in my dream journal.

Then I woke up for real.

False awakenings are so annoying
This is why you always do a reality check as soon as you wake up, which I forgot to do this morning.
I should throw something up about them in the OP....
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I REALLY want to have a lucid dream, but I'm waaaaaayy too scared of having a nightmare and losing control.

Is this a reasonable fear, or is there a very scarce chance of lucid nightmares?

I'm such a puss...
Slappa tha bass
Quote by hootie37
I REALLY want to have a lucid dream, but I'm waaaaaayy too scared of having a nightmare and losing control.

Is this a reasonable fear, or is there a very scarce chance of lucid nightmares?

I'm such a puss...

Nightmares will not come after you become lucid unless you change your dream to something scary.

If you become lucid in a nightmare, you have control over it. There's no reason to be afraid of lucid dreaming because of the potential of a nightmare. You won't be able to lose control of the dream.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by chaos13
On another note, I woke up this morning and wrote down my dreams in my dream journal.

Then I woke up for real.

False awakenings are so annoying
This is why you always do a reality check as soon as you wake up, which I forgot to do this morning.
I should throw something up about them in the OP....

I started doing reality checks before trying to start lucid dreaming because I got fed up with false awakenings. I get them far too often as part of normal dreams.
I only get them occasionally, so I haven't got into the habit of doing RC right as I wake up. It's just the odd morning where I pour myself some coffee and go "wait, haven't I done this already?"
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I've had lucid dreams since I was little. I guess I'm a lucky bugger. It really is a great feeling, being able to do whatever you like without limits. Flying, fighting, being a giant... Watching Boromir lead an army of storm troopers and AT-ST chicken walkers through in an epic battle against dragons. Anything you can think of. It's wicked.

Good luck to all those trying!
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Holy shit! Without reading the OP, I want to share my super odd experience during my first WILD attempt. Before I get to the story, I wanted to point out that I've been lucid dreaming naturally every now and then since I was about 8 or 9, the earliest dream I can remember being in fourth grade when I made myself a character in Harry Potter and imagined sundaes ****ing everywhere

A couple nights ago, I fell asleep in my completely dark room, around 12:30am. Set my alarm for 6am. I woke up alright, but I wasn't awake very long. Then I tried to ease back into sleep, but I'm not sure if I succeeded or not.

I could feel my body going numb and I began seeing things. However, I was in some sort of vortex, and there were typical Halloween decorations floating everywhere. At the end of the vortex is the edge of a cliff, and over the cliff is a huge firepit where part man, part beast beings are doing some sort of mining operation. I knew I was dreaming, so I was like "**** this," and imagined myself back in my house. I get in my basement, and it looks just like it does in real life. I tried to imagine people and things, but it wasn't working. I remember I got frustrated, and decided that even though I knew I was dreaming, it wasn't going to work.

I wake up, and my mother in coming down the stairs. I tell her how I was trying to WILD and it didn't really work, and when she asked how it worked I explained it. Then my Grade 9 Science teacher piped in and said the whole WILD theory didn't make sense, so I had to explain it to him. By this point we are all in my bathroom, and the dream is no longer lucid. Then after they leave, I start to take a piss, suddenly remembering I'm dreaming and I might piss the bed (which would suck.) However, I really didn't want to stop, so I finished my piss, then I actually woke up in my soft, dry bed.

Basically, I had a dream inside a dream, and it was the weirdest dream experience I've ever had.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Apr 20, 2011,
That is awesome. I'm also quite surprised that you managed to become lucid even for a little while on your first attempt at WILD.

Nicely done
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by chaos13
I only get them occasionally, so I haven't got into the habit of doing RC right as I wake up. It's just the odd morning where I pour myself some coffee and go "wait, haven't I done this already?"

I get very vivid false awakenings, then really wake up and my first thought is "**** I have to do my whole boring routine again. I just did this shit!"
I sometimes lucid dream, but I don't try to. I've never been able to induce one.

I usually just have a bizzare, terrifying dream, and then I say "**** this, I'm dreaming" and then I control the dream. I'm not entirely sure if that counts as a lucid dream though.
Quote by slipknot5678
I sometimes lucid dream, but I don't try to. I've never been able to induce one.

I usually just have a bizzare, terrifying dream, and then I say "**** this, I'm dreaming" and then I control the dream. I'm not entirely sure if that counts as a lucid dream though.
That's how all my natural ones happen. Something really ****ed will happen, like me running over a classmate with an ATV, and I just think "Bullshit, that didn't just happen. This is a dream." Then I take it from there.
Hey guys, I read the other lucid dreaming thread the other night and was all excited to try. I just had my last uni exam today, long story short I am currently on my 44th hour of being awake. There have been several times when I have realized I am dreaming then get excited and wake up. The looking at your hands trick sounds good. I think I am rambling as I am pretty wired but the point of this was to ask the experts if there is any pros/cons of trying to lucid dream in my current state. I probably wont be going to bed for like four more hours either.
Quote by chaos13
Nightmares will not come after you become lucid unless you change your dream to something scary.

If you become lucid in a nightmare, you have control over it. There's no reason to be afraid of lucid dreaming because of the potential of a nightmare. You won't be able to lose control of the dream.

My mom's been able to lucid dream on command since high school, and she said that she's literally felt herself get picked up off the bed and thrown back down into it and that she's woken up screaming "Jesus save me!".

But, she says in those dreams, pre-nightmare, that she knew that was a possibility in the dream, but she didn't do anything about it.

She says she doesn't recommend lucid dreaming.

I'm just scared because I sometimes feel like I can't control my imagination, and that that would carry over into my dreams...
Slappa tha bass
Quote by chaos13
*answers*

Thanks man. Btw, I'm gonna start a dream journal tonight, going to try to lucid dream eventually, since I kind of have it naturally.

Some other quick questions:

Are there any senses you can't feel in a lucid dream? I would think smell, touch, and taste, but I'm not the knowledgeable one.

How detailed are the dreams? Like could I just imagine I'm riding a flying elephant through a rainbow colored landscape and see every detail like I would normally?

Will it work if I use a fan to sleep at night? I sleep horribly without the noise it produces.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that feeling I get is when I am about to fall into a lucid dream after I wake up once.
Last edited by LesPaulGuy514 at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by hootie37
My mom's been able to lucid dream on command since high school, and she said that she's literally felt herself get picked up off the bed and thrown back down into it and that she's woken up screaming "Jesus save me!".

But, she says in those dreams, pre-nightmare, that she knew that was a possibility in the dream, but she didn't do anything about it.

She says she doesn't recommend lucid dreaming.

I'm just scared because I sometimes feel like I can't control my imagination, and that that would carry over into my dreams...

I don't mean to be rude, but I say that is bullshit. Lucid dreaming isn't dangerous and it isn't scary. People hear stories like this and freak out, but I haven't experienced anything to indicate that there is any truth in them.

Quote by Creed Bratton
Hey guys, I read the other lucid dreaming thread the other night and was all excited to try. I just had my last uni exam today, long story short I am currently on my 44th hour of being awake. There have been several times when I have realized I am dreaming then get excited and wake up. The looking at your hands trick sounds good. I think I am rambling as I am pretty wired but the point of this was to ask the experts if there is any pros/cons of trying to lucid dream in my current state. I probably wont be going to bed for like four more hours either.

I don't think anything would be too different from when you are normally rested.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Yeah, chaos, but she has way more experience with it. Maybe it just comes with time, or something. I know it seems like I'm all "My mom's never wrongololol." But I'm just sayin'.

But also as well, me, my mom, and my stepsister have all experienced things like that, so I think it's kind of unrelated to lucidity...
Slappa tha bass
Quote by LesPaulGuy514
Thanks man. Btw, I'm gonna start a dream journal tonight, going to try to lucid dream eventually, since I kind of have it naturally.

Some other quick questions:

Are there any senses you can't feel in a lucid dream? I would think smell, touch, and taste, but I'm not the knowledgeable one.

How detailed are the dreams? Like could I just imagine I'm riding a flying elephant through a rainbow colored landscape and see every detail like I would normally?

Will it work if I use a fan to sleep at night? I sleep horribly without the noise it produces.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that feeling I get is when I am about to fall into a lucid dream after I wake up once.

You can feel every sense, and they are often more intense than in real life. It is incredibly detailed. I have trouble seeing at distance in real life, and wear glasses for driving and whatnot, but in lucid dreams I can see at distance more sharply than with my glasses.
No reason why a fan would change anything.
I get that feeling a lot when I'm in a really relaxed state. It's often referred to simply as 'vibrations' and can come in varying intensities.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
There is one way I can get Lucid Dreams pretty much every time,
which is waking up in the morning, doing my morning routine and then going back to bed.
I always have the coolest dreams then, and I don't suddenly wake up.
It's like whatever I'm thinking about turns into a dream. It's almost a smooth transition.

This is this WILD thing, eh?
I found out about it without using any guides haha.
It always happened when I felt sick in the morning and told my mum I needed some more sleep.

When I do "DILD", this excitement thing often happens, but with WILD it doesn't somehow.
strange stuff..
Quote by hootie37
Yeah, chaos, but she has way more experience with it. Maybe it just comes with time, or something. I know it seems like I'm all "My mom's never wrongololol." But I'm just sayin'.

But also as well, me, my mom, and my stepsister have all experienced things like that, so I think it's kind of unrelated to lucidity...

Perhaps so. It's the first time I've ever heard of anything of the sort related to lucid dreaming
I don't see any reason why someone would not want to attempt lucidity, but it's all a matter of personal opinion.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by chaos13
Perhaps so. It's the first time I've ever heard of anything of the sort related to lucid dreaming
I don't see any reason why someone would not want to attempt lucidity, but it's all a matter of personal opinion.

Yeah, dreaming is weird. I had a dream last night about playing Mafia.

And I didn't ****ing lose in my dreams...
Slappa tha bass
i'm pretty sure i sleep paralysis a lot. in my dreams i can't move and i want to wake up but i can't because i am asleep. i want to move and wake up but i can't. it sucks. my roommate says i am screaming help me and/or mumbling stuff. i hate it because it so unpleasant. i hate it so much
Quote by mrretard
i'm pretty sure i sleep paralysis a lot. in my dreams i can't move and i want to wake up but i can't because i am asleep. i want to move and wake up but i can't. it sucks. my roommate says i am screaming help me and/or mumbling stuff. i hate it because it so unpleasant. i hate it so much

You should be able to learn to control your dreams so you can move in them. SP generally doesn't affect your dreams as well, so it should be something you can fix with practice.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I hope so. I have lucid dreamed in the same dream as sp. this was in one dream. i was SPing and wanted to wake up and move but i couldn’t. Then i realized i was dreaming and it stopped for a bit. Then it came back. All in one dream.

But anyway i will use the tips on the first page and maybe the SP will stop.
I'm gonna go back and reread the first couple posts. I wanna learn to lucid dream baaaad. I'll be updating with my attempts as they go

I've already tried WILDing with little success (read: none). Granted, I just did it without any previous preparation.

QUICKEDIT: I do, however, remember many times where I did actually figure out I was dreaming. But as soon as that happened I woke up. I read that's normal, but is that considered being lucid? Semi-lucid? Not lucid?
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I'm gonna go back and reread the first couple posts. I wanna learn to lucid dream baaaad. I'll be updating with my attempts as they go

I've already tried WILDing with little success (read: none). Granted, I just did it without any previous preparation.

QUICKEDIT: I do, however, remember many times where I did actually figure out I was dreaming. But as soon as that happened I woke up. I read that's normal, but is that considered being lucid? Semi-lucid? Not lucid?

That is indeed lucidity.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Is it considered being lucid when you are aware you are dreaming, but you can't control the dream at all? Like basically watching a movie. I have had this probably 3 times in my life. It wasn't all that amazing and clear, felt just like a regular dream, so I'm hoping thats not what a real lucid dream is like. I'm assuming it's not but I'm just making sure.
That's a good question.
Technically it is a lucid dream, but that is not what a true lucid dream is like. Trust me, you'll know when you have one. It is amazing.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by guitarocker100
Is it considered being lucid when you are aware you are dreaming, but you can't control the dream at all? Like basically watching a movie. I have had this probably 3 times in my life. It wasn't all that amazing and clear, felt just like a regular dream, so I'm hoping thats not what a real lucid dream is like. I'm assuming it's not but I'm just making sure.

This was actually what I was referring to, chaos13 But you've answered both, so I assume we're safe! Though for me it felt like a wave of relief/knowledge swept over me...

One more really quick question (for now): last night when I was trying to WILD, I noticed some different things before I fell asleep, at least two. (For further information, I was laying down in my bed, not moving, no lights or sounds, did the relaxation step and I was thinking in my head "1, I am dreaming. 2, I am dreaming, etc." like it said in the technique) The first thing was that I seemed to sink into the bed. I felt like I was almost... melting into it. I think it was just me getting uber relaxed, but y'all are the experienced ones about this stuff! The second was that I started getting really warm and began having a harder time moving, beginning at my feet and working up. Would these be the early stages of SP, or am I just over analyzing?

Of course, after I noticed these things I fell asleep pretty quickly, but I was trying to stay as conscious as possible while I fell asleep. I only bring this up because I noticed them for the first time last night... haha

Just a disclaimer... I will be asking a lot of questions... I get this way when I'm learning to do new things
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
This was actually what I was referring to, chaos13 But you've answered both, so I assume we're safe! Though for me it felt like a wave of relief/knowledge swept over me...

One more really quick question (for now): last night when I was trying to WILD, I noticed some different things before I fell asleep, at least two. (For further information, I was laying down in my bed, not moving, no lights or sounds, did the relaxation step and I was thinking in my head "1, I am dreaming. 2, I am dreaming, etc." like it said in the technique) The first thing was that I seemed to sink into the bed. I felt like I was almost... melting into it. I think it was just me getting uber relaxed, but y'all are the experienced ones about this stuff! The second was that I started getting really warm and began having a harder time moving, beginning at my feet and working up. Would these be the early stages of SP, or am I just over analyzing?

Of course, after I noticed these things I fell asleep pretty quickly, but I was trying to stay as conscious as possible while I fell asleep. I only bring this up because I noticed them for the first time last night... haha

Just a disclaimer... I will be asking a lot of questions... I get this way when I'm learning to do new things

For the first part, it sounds like you were doing it right then The sinking into the bed feeling tells you that you're doing it right, and just keep going. The second part sounds like you were slowly entering the paralysis stage. It is a slow process, it's not like one second you're moving, then the next second you can't feel any part of your body

To me, it sounds like you were doing it perfectly fine, then fell asleep before going any further. That's the hard part.. Sometimes you're too tired and overly relaxed, other times you're just wide awake.
Quote by Will Swanson

Sorry for the double post, but this may seem a bit interesting. I have had a sleeping problem for a while now. If i'm stressed out, i wake up around 7-8 times throughout the night. Yesterday, a doctor gave me some pills that will help me fall asleep easier, and fall into a deeper sleep. I took my first one last night, then thought *will this have an effect on my dreams.. or my ability to lucid dream?*. The funny thing is, i don't remember falling asleep, but i remember my whole dream. As soon as i woke up, i wrote it in my dream journal. I'm so happy
Quote by Will Swanson

Woah.
So last night, I kind of gave it a serious go. The results weren't anything serious, I wasn't actually lucid or anything but:
I've never been able to remember my dreams. I can remember maybe a total of three in the past 17 years. :/
But last night, I tried waking up, falling asleep, waking up, falling asleep, etc etc.
So I fell asleep at 1, woke up at 6, had the absolute most vivid dream ever. Then I walked around a bit, fell asleep at 7, woke up at 9, had another vivid, dream, then fell asleep shortly thereafter, and I woke up at 10:30. Had another dream, though not quite so vivid.

Feels good man.
Quote by hootie37

It's called a nightmare ...

Lucid dreaming prevents them