Page 3 of 25
Quote by Baby Joel
Woah.
So last night, I kind of gave it a serious go. The results weren't anything serious, I wasn't actually lucid or anything but:
I've never been able to remember my dreams. I can remember maybe a total of three in the past 17 years. :/
But last night, I tried waking up, falling asleep, waking up, falling asleep, etc etc.
So I fell asleep at 1, woke up at 6, had the absolute most vivid dream ever. Then I walked around a bit, fell asleep at 7, woke up at 9, had another vivid, dream, then fell asleep shortly thereafter, and I woke up at 10:30. Had another dream, though not quite so vivid.

Feels good man.

That sounds awesome!
You know, the past two lucid dreams i've had, i woke up, and went back to sleep. If i wake up and fall asleep again, i remember my dreams so easily. Keep it up, and your dream recall will be very, very good.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
It's called a nightmare ...

Lucid dreaming prevents them

That's true. I was being chased by Ed Gein in one of my dreams, and i was so scared.. i could feel the pain of being stabbed, and i could feel the fear. I said "**** this, this is a dream", and somehow became lucid, and the dark side of the dream just disappeared. Everything was sunny, shiny and crystal clear.
Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.

Vast turbulence of meteors and galactic dust..
Parallel undefined measurements..
Time has new form, life has new form..
Last edited by ChristGrind at Apr 21, 2011,
I seem to have come across a miracle soundtrack for vivid dreams. I created a playlist with Tool as I fall asleep, and then a repeat of the lucid dreaming isochronic tone from the isotones link under references. I can remember 4 dreams from last night, all in great detail.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Does anyone have any negative side-effects from Isochronic tones? I'm thinking of checking them out.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by ozzyismetal
Does anyone have any negative side-effects from Isochronic tones? I'm thinking of checking them out.

I never have, and I haven't heard of anyone else that has either. Just remember that it doesn't have to be really loud. Keep the volume at a level where you can hear the pulsing, but not so loud that it gives you a headache.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread

Upon keeping a journal of my dreams, I had two last night that I remember. One happened in a town that I recognize from a dream years ago, and had completely forgotten about, and have never been to in real life. But I recognized the town clear as anything. 0.o

The other happened at my old house, which is where the false awakening in my first lucid dream happened. Huh.
I had a really weird dream session last night. I knew that i was dreaming but i still couldn't control my dreams, it was really annoying, i was like watching myself in third person but i couldn't control what i did in the dream. Anybody know what's up with this?
@ninnipinni93
Sometimes you can have lucidity but not control over your dreams. Dream control is something that can be practiced, you just have to work at it every time you have a lucid dream. Try some mantras as you fall asleep like: I will control my dream. It may seem stupid, but they really work.

@Vendetta V
Stress and exhaustion make lucid dreaming tough sometime. Just do your best to get as much sleep as you can every night.

@SlayingDragons
I have a bunch of dream locations that I go back to a lot as well. It's really interesting. Sometimes it will be identical to the last time I was there, and other times it will be a slightly different scenario, with different buildings and whatnot.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Alright so, I'm going to try isochronic tones, and I'm going to plan on waking up several times as well. Wish me luck!
Tip: If you use earbuds to listen to your music while you sleep, it's a good way to remember as you wake up through the night. I'll wake up for a few seconds and realize there is something hanging from my head, and I'll be reminded of lucid dreaming.

Good luck
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Finally, a thread for this!

I've been trying out a new method of achieving lucidity that I read about on some Lucid Dreaming forum.
Quote by SilverBullet

They key to lucid dreaming is setting your goal in the simplest way possible, like in another thread, just by telling yourself "I lucid dream". That is perfect. Now all you have to do is trust your mind to do the work for you. Don't try to have a lucid dream. Just sleep! It's the same part of the brain that can wake you up at an exact time without an alarm, you don't try to. You just expect it to and trust it to. If you are going to do this it is very important NOT TO TRY, EVEN A LITTLE. When I thought about it, I now know that about 90% of my lucid dreams happen because I did this unknowingly. After I kind of gave up on lucid dreaming long time ago they started flooding in for some reason. After I had a lot I trusted my mind to just have them like a regular thing. If you believe your a master lucid dreamer you are. If you don't, your not. Simple as that. You don't even need to do that reality check bullcrap. I never EVER reality check. I don't take supplements or listen/watch anything. I'm not a natural, I started like most people here struggling, barely even remembering any dreams. I started from scratch. You can all do the same exact thing.

Basically, according to this guy one can program one's brain like a computer, and simply telling yourself to lucid dream will eventually lead you to do so.
I find it interesting, does anyone have any experiences with this? Gonna try it for some weeks from now.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Last edited by GuitarViking at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by chaos13
Tip: If you use earbuds to listen to your music while you sleep, it's a good way to remember as you wake up through the night. I'll wake up for a few seconds and realize there is something hanging from my head, and I'll be reminded of lucid dreaming.
That has worked for me before, but with a sleeping patch thing. I put it over my eyes, and when i was dreaming i realised it wasn't there anymore.... instant lucidity
Quote by GuitarViking

I've been trying out a new method of achieving lucidity that I read about on some Lucid Dreaming forum.

Basically, according to this guy one can program one's brain like a computer, and simply telling yourself to lucid dream will eventually lead you to do so.
I find it interesting, does anyone have any experiences with this? Gonna try it for some weeks from now.
He's right in a way, but also wrong. If you try too hard to lucid dream, it will never happen. If you don't try at all, it MIGHT happen, but nowhere near as much as it would with constant practice and dream recall improvement. Dream recall has helped me with lucid dreaming more than i can imagine. Sure, there have been times where i've pretty much stopped trying to lucid dream, and ended up having one.. but, i've had 99% of my lucid dreams when i'm writing in my dream journal, waking myself up, going to bed at a reasonable time, thinking about becoming lucid, reality checks..
I guess it's different for each person. Find out what works for you, and stick with it.

On another note, i've changed my dream journal style. Since i write in it when i just wake up, the writing is very messy, and all over the place. I can't help but laugh when i look at it, it looks like i was drunk when i wrote it. Starting from yesterday, i write my dream in the journal, but also type it into my Microsoft Word Dream Journal. It comes in very handy.. sometimes i misplace my journal, but i can always just open the word document
Quote by Will Swanson

Last edited by ChristGrind at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by GuitarViking

It's basically an oversimplified version of MILD. It seems probable, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. It runs similar to the ideas of a user named BillyBob on Dreamviews. In all his tutorials he makes everything extremely simple. I think I'm going to have to try this.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I usually have pretty vivid dreams and my memory of them is great, I can remember really tons of stuff from the dream I had last night, for example, a whole really weird plot with people I know and problems and resolutions and weird stuff.

I also usually get to the point where I kind of realise that it's a dream. For example, there will be a problem but I won't stress about it because I realise it's not real. However, I've never managed to control my dreams even when I realise to an extent that it is a dream, the dream just continues as usual.

So what I'm really asking is how do I go from being aware that I'm dreaming to being able to control my dreams?
How often is it best to do reality checks? Some people say every time you walk through a door and some people say only before you go to bed and when you wake up. What do you think?

And also are you actually awake when you are paralyzed? Like say if a friend walked my room in reality would I see them and hear them along with the hallucinations?
Last edited by guitarocker100 at Apr 21, 2011,
I've tried to do this in the past, but all the threads I made died. Hopefully this stays alive.

I will necrobump it to death

Great job on the OPs, Christgrind and Chaos13.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by guitarocker100
How often is it best to do reality checks? Some people say every time you walk through a door and some people say only before you go to bed and when you wake up. What do you think?

Hmm, that's actually a good question. I think I'm going to get into the habit of doing reality checks every time I walk through or past a door or tree.

I heard that seeing whether or not you can put your finger through your hand is a good test, so I think that's the one I'll do.
I tried it last night...no luck. *le sigh*

I got the isochronic tones on my ipod, thought about lucid dreaming all evening, convinced myself that it was going to happen. No dice.
I fell asleep, woke up,. Don't even remember my dream.

The last lucid dream i had that i remember, I was flying and i could control it. It was exhilarating.
I could maneuver like nothing i'd ever imagined. Such an incredible feeling!

Oh oh oh !
I just remember I dreamed that I looked in the mirror in my bathroom and got freaked out because my moustache was really really long!

I dont remember the rest of it...and i didnt have a paper nearby
Last edited by unet at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by Snowman388
I will necrobump it to death

Wouldn't that be redundant?

Okay, I have another question. Thanks for being so patient guys!

Can you feel pain in a lucid dream? I mean, you could break out of it right away, but can you still feel it?
Alright, after my insanely odd experience a couple nights ago, I'm going to give the WILD technique another go tonight. I'm very well rested, and since I'm on Easter break I have about a week and a half to refine the technique without any commitments or restrictions.
I sued to be sort of worried of the transition phase, since I've heard lots of stories about frightening sounds and hallucinations. However, I've come to accept that these are fairly rare, so I don't think I'll have a problem in that department. The only thing I wanted tips on is what to do when I wake up in 5-6 hours. I often have a hard time staying awake, or even having the motivation to do something like sit up or go to the bathroom.
Anything you guys can suggest that will help the mental preparation for a WILD any easier?
Quote by 12345abcd3
I also usually get to the point where I kind of realise that it's a dream. For example, there will be a problem but I won't stress about it because I realise it's not real. However, I've never managed to control my dreams even when I realise to an extent that it is a dream, the dream just continues as usual.
So what I'm really asking is how do I go from being aware that I'm dreaming to being able to control my dreams?
This has happened to me many times before. It sounds like you were semi lucid, but not ready to control your dreams. Using your mind to control dreams comes with practise, so keep at it
Quote by guitarocker100
And also are you actually awake when you are paralyzed? Like say if a friend walked my room in reality would I see them and hear them along with the hallucinations?
Personally, my main key to becoming lucid is by looking at my hands in my dream. It always works. My reality check is just looking at my hands, and i do it whenever i remember. I don't really have a specific time i do it.. just whenever it pops into my head. I am seriously considering using the door trick now, that's an excellent idea. Just do whatever you think will suit you best. If you feel better walking through a door and saying "Am I dreaming?", do it. If you feel better looking at your hands and asking yourself the same question, do it. If you remember, look at your hands in your dream. It's very interesting. They're blurry, distorted.. and sometimes i'm even missing a few fingers. It always gives away the fact that i'm dreaming

Also, at the early stages of sleep paralysis, you're awake. You're just really really relaxed, and slowly progressing. When you actually start seeing colours/patterns/tunnels/other CEV's (Closed Eye Visuals), you're heading into the deeper stages. If someone walked into your room while you're paralysed, you would hear them/see them, and therefore be distracted. You'll lose whatever progress you made, and you'd be wide awake again, just lying on the bed. Once i was doing the WILD technique, and i was at the stage where i'm completely paralysed, and seeing CEV's/tunnel vision with blue and purple streaks, and my neighbour's dog barked.. This distracted me, and i lost my focus. I was so pissed off.. It took me over half an hour to enter the stage i was in, too.
Quote by unet
I just remember I dreamed that I looked in the mirror in my bathroom and got freaked out because my moustache was really really long!
I hate when that happens to me.. Once i had a dream i cut all my hair off. I looked in the mirror and freaked the hell out. As soon as i woke up, i rubbed my hands all over my head, hoping my hair was still there
Quote by Will Swanson

Quote by LesPaulGuy514

Can you feel pain in a lucid dream? I mean, you could break out of it right away, but can you still feel it?

It depends. Why would you feel pain anyway? If you're controlling your dream, you're more likely to be flying, changing the colour of everything, teleporting, . I've never felt pain in any of my lucid dreams, but i surely have in other dreams. I actually don't know how to answer this, since i've never been in a situation during a lucid dream where i would feel pain. I feel other things, like happiness, excitement, etc.. and i feel things if i touch them. Pain is a hard one though..
Quote by Pat_s1t
Anything you guys can suggest that will help the mental preparation for a WILD any easier?
Have you ever lucid dreamed before? If not, i'd just stick with improving dream recall, and having regular lucid dreams, before attempting to have a WILD. If you're convinced you want to have one, these tips might help. Write a note on a piece of paper saying "Wake Induced Lucid Dream" or something, and stick it on the wall where you sleep. When your alarm wakes you up, take a look at the note, and remind yourself that the reason you woke yourself up this early, is to attempt the technique. Force yourself to get up, take a quick walk around your room, then lay back down again. Don't turn on any lights though! This will probably wake you up a little too much, and you wont succeed in having a WILD. Sometimes i set my alarm for 6 hours after i sleep, and when i wake up, i've completely forgotten about wanting to try the WILD technique, and i just go back to sleep. That's what the note on your wall is for. it's hard to find the perfect time to do it.. you can't be too awake, but can't be so tired that you're going to fall asleep during the WILD attempt. Try setting two alarm clocks (set the second one to wake you up 5 minutes after the first one), incase you fall asleep after the first alarm wakes you up. My main tip is to just be relaxed, and tell yourself that you will have a WILD. It can be very frustrating sometimes.. Laying there for over half an hour, slowly progressing, then coughing and waking up completely. If that happens, just try again the next night, and don't lose faith.
Quote by Will Swanson

^ Well I've just heard some stories of people having a mid-dream realization of a lucid dream, and if they feel pain if it was a nightmare before they took control.
Quote by LesPaulGuy514

If you decide to punch a wall in a lucid dream, and are expecting that your fist will hit the wall and it will hurt, it will hurt. If you expect that your fist will hit the wall and it will not hurt, it will not hurt. Any sensation is what you make it out to be. The normal laws of physics don't apply in lucid dreams.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
^Alright, I think I'm understanding. Thanks for asking all my questions and being patient.
Last edited by LesPaulGuy514 at Apr 22, 2011,
So when you experience a lucid dream... is it in first person, third, what? And how does time flow? I can imagine that it would flow a lot slower than in real life, but be perceived as normal. Of course, all these will be answered when I do my first... but I don't know when that will be
Quote by DiminishedFifth
So when you experience a lucid dream... is it in first person, third, what? And how does time flow? I can imagine that it would flow a lot slower than in real life, but be perceived as normal. Of course, all these will be answered when I do my first... but I don't know when that will be

It's first person, at least, it was for me, I don't know if you dream in 3rd person. >.>

Time seemed to flow as it would normally in a dream; it seemed normal, but of course was much shorter in real life, as you said.

Anyways, off to bed, hopefully some good dreams will come tonight.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Every time i've become lucid in a dream, it's been first person. Also, i wasn't really paying attention to time, i was too busy exploring. I guess it obviously flows slower than real life, but it feels normal.
Quote by Will Swanson

Your point of view is much the same as your normal dreams and waking life. When people say they knew they were dreaming but just watched what was going on, they mean that they didn't take an active part in controlling the dream.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by ChristGrind

I hate when that happens to me.. Once i had a dream i cut all my hair off. I looked in the mirror and freaked the hell out. As soon as i woke up, i rubbed my hands all over my head, hoping my hair was still there

That could be another reality check i suppose.

Quote by DiminishedFifth

The one time i remember, my perception kept changing.
When i was walking, I was inside me as usual.
When i started flying, I was watching myself do it and kept going back and forth.

Dammit...I want to try these techniques now but my sleep cycle is ****ed because of exams. After that's done...I'm going to make it a habit to attempt to achieve lucidity every night.
You can try MILD'ing. All it involves is telling yourself you'll lucid dream as you go to sleep, so it has the potential to be effective with any sort of sleep schedule.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Oh that's okay...my exams end tomorrow.
Then I will be drunk/otherwise for about 6 days.

THEN I'll attempt to lucid dream.
Unless you do it better when you're not sober or something....?
lol it's far better when you're sober. Alcohol and weed mess with your brains natural chemical balances, so if you're really wanting to focus on lucid dreaming for a while, don't drink or smoke up during that time.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by chaos13
lol it's far better when you're sober. Alcohol and weed mess with your brains natural chemical balances, so if you're really wanting to focus on lucid dreaming for a while, don't drink or smoke up during that time.

Not an option

It's not just any exam....it's my last exam at college.
As of tomorrow, I will be done with college!
Hence the heavy celebrations.

But not to worry, I will get cracking on the LD'ing right after.
I'm EXTREMELY fascinated by it...so it's not a phase or anything. I will stick with it.
Quote by unet
Not an option

It's not just any exam....it's my last exam at college.
As of tomorrow, I will be done with college!
Hence the heavy celebrations.

But not to worry, I will get cracking on the LD'ing right after.
I'm EXTREMELY fascinated by it...so it's not a phase or anything. I will stick with it.

Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Just curious, to those on the thread that are frequent lucid dreamers, how often do you have one? Is it possible to get to the point where you can choose what nights to have one and what nights not to? Or is it just random and you have to hope to get lucky.
I think I might give this a go... I've never tried it before, but my dreams are always vivid and I remember pretty much all of them when I wake up, so I've got a bit of a head start. I'll probably just try the MILD one first. So basically, just keep telling myself I want to lucid dream, keep thinking about it, yeah? And then reality checks and stuff?