If i were to double track record one guitar part should i do it in stereo or mono?

Im aware of the basics of double track recording but should i do the individual recordings in stero or mono even though they are just going to be panned all the way to the left or to the right?
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
haha i thought so too
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

MONO! what i do, is throw one track to the left and one to the right. it gives a more full sound in my opinion. Then you could always throw one in the middle to really beef it up.
Quote by cm880999
Not fast enough.. try playing this song i wrote it's called trolls delight!

heres the progression

A F Bb Gm E C D A Bm C Bm A Bm Bb Bm Cm Cb C Cbm A

played at 883 bmp change the chord every click

its pretty easy though
There are no rules my friend. I usually always do it in stereo because it leaves far more possibilities later on. Just my opinion though. For me when it comes to mixing, the more material the better. There's more to work with and select from.
Strange, It seems like a character mutation, Though I have all the means, of bringing you fuckers down, I can't make myself, To destroy upon command, Somehow forgiveness, lets the evil make a loss - Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse/Wayne Coyne
a stereo track is basically two mono tracks from one source that are panned all the way out. so if you were to somehow pan a stereo track hard left, it would be a mono track.

lesson here... always use mono unless your source is coming in stereo (keyboards etc). even if you have a stereo mic setup, use two mono tracks.
If you only have one microphone/input being used to record, Stereo=Mono.
Stereo just means it will take it from both the left and right inputs.
I'm talking about input-wise. Not the technical term for "Stereo" by the way. So don't tell me, "Blah blah bitch Stereo blah left and right!".
..I was watching my death.
for harmany leads i have found it cool to throw one in the left one in the right but if you want it also gives it a very cool effect to just have them in mono its all in what your going for thats the great thing with music ......... there is no wrong answer
in the end it all matters to the artists how they want it done
Rick_Diculous wrote:

Quote by ronkun
in the end it all matters to the artists how they want it done

Yeah but theres a difference between what the artist wants and getting it done right.

A lot of the time, the 2 tracks are processed differently to give the illusion of bigger sound. Take an album and your favorite pair of earbuds, put the left one in then put the right one in. You'll notice a difference in the guitar sound. Like the track I pulled up on my iPod (Spokesman by Goldfinger), the left track is way brighter than the right, the right is bass heavy. If you make it a Stereo track, the difficulty of doing this is increased.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp