Ok, first off i have 0% experience with recording. Second my purposes are to record original tracks, and record over actual songs to put on YouTube or something. Something i can take the audio file for and link up with a video. Im asking you guys to give me your experience and tell me what you do. I only want to do line out, considering i have a peavey vyper, or if you guys will explain, how to get6 preloaded amps directly on the computer so that i can tweak and pick from some kind of software. What software do i buy? Best value? What cables and stuff i need? Im pretty bright and i only need you guys setting me in the right path, then i can take it from there. Thanks to all that post. PLEASE HELP ME!!

What are your ways of recording?

Whats the best, simplest software?

Line out or amp from a computer software?

Cables, equipment needed?
98' Peavey Wolfgang Special USA "Pat Pend"
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender Stickered Pinecaster Tele
Kramer 5150 Replica-GFS VEH
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Google. Look at the amp sim and VST threads on here. Use Reaper as a DAW and just google for a cheap interface. Just depends what you want. It's not rocket science. Since your amp is nothing special, you can probably get a better sound out of an amp sim.
Is reaper an interface? What do you mean by interface?
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by EVH-SETH
Is reaper an interface? What do you mean by interface?

Reaper is a kind of DAW (software you can record to and mix in). A good example of a budget interface is the M-Audio Fast Track MKII. You plug this into your computer via USB and plug your guitar/microphone into it, this way you can get better results than plugging the guitar straight into the computer.

If you wanna record via line-out from amp then i'd suggest this setup.

Guitar - Amp - Line-out - Interface - Computer - DAW - cab Impulse.

Cab Impulses are basically simulations of a mic'ed up cab. My personal favourite Impulses are Guitarhack's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0nVsmoiEUk

(Ignore the bit with Amplitube at the start).
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Apr 20, 2011,
Ok, i gotta ask you - what's the end result? Where is the final track going? Is it just to show off or you are searching for a band you can present demo to?
The reason i'm asking is that those answers will define the recording process.
I just want to be able to record original pieces and be able to have fun with it. I don't wanna get pissed off and run into a million problems because I don't userstand. Hence why I'm asking
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Are the POD studio series products an interface?
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by EVH-SETH
Are the POD studio series products an interface?

Yeah, they are. They come with POD Farm which is an amp simulation software if you're interested in using it instead of your Vypyr line out. Again i'd still recommend using Impulses instead of the built-in cab simuators, especially guitarhack's impulses.

Oh and you're welcome for the previous advice.
Alright. So here's what I need software, say I'll get reaper. Then I need an interface. say either pod's series ones or the one posted earlier. Then I need to get impulses....? How do I get impulses. Do they plug into the computer or are they downloads that will go into my software (reaper)?
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by EVH-SETH
Alright. So here's what I need software, say I'll get reaper. Then I need an interface. say either pod's series ones or the one posted earlier. Then I need to get impulses....? How do I get impulses. Do they plug into the computer or are they downloads that will go into my software (reaper)?

You don't need Impulses, i just highly recommend them. Watch the youtube video i linked you to, they work in the software as a VST Plugin.
There is enough information out there , read as much as you can and give your toughts some structure , then come back and ask away the doubts. Ill be more than glad to help.

Things you should read about and start with:

DAW´s (I recommend Ableton for ease of use)
Audio Interfaces
Studio Monitors.

Have fun and when you have a general idea come back and ask
Last edited by Slashiepie at Apr 21, 2011,
Oops sorry. Thanks for all the info. Im sure I'll figure it out. I'm making it more complicated than it is I'm sure
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by EVH-SETH
Oops sorry. Thanks for all the info. Im sure I'll figure it out. I'm making it more complicated than it is I'm sure

Yeah art first it is quite puzzling to imagine how all that equipment is supposed to work.
I know in my mind i had those huge studios with mixers the side of a ****ing rhino,
but after reading and reading and reading and taking a look at many products I figured out all you need at first:
Is an audio interface and a daw, if youre more serious about it studio monitors are a must to really hear what youre doing

Read and let your brain do the rest

Here is something a little more visual so you can start to connect the info right away:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/uploads/Image/guitars/ARBITER/setup.jpg

I will give you some high quality and cheap suggestions if you want.
cya soon
Last edited by Slashiepie at Apr 22, 2011,
That would be great!! Thanks
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212