Page 1 of 2
Any Americans here studied in the UK? If so, what is it like. I was wondering if any natives to the British Isles could tell me if my choices for universities/colleges are alright for these certain things:
Student life in cities around them (eg: Cost, Night Life, Shopping, Ease of transportation, Things to do, is the college good for my major, etc.) As well as those, are they any good as a school? My GPA is a little over a 3.0 and I'm a junior so it will improve over time. I'm in mostly Honors level courses and one AP at the moment, with 3 on my course load next year with 2 more honors. My intended major is History, if you're wondering. Enough with all that though, here are my choices so far in the UK and Ireland:
Royal Holloway, University of London
University of Nottingham
National University of Ireland, Galway
King's College of London (if I'm really lucky)
National University of Ireland, Limerick
and University of Leeds (again, if I'm lucky)

All opinions are appreciated, and thanks in advance!
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Carmel should change this thread title to "Studying boobs"

I have yet to study abroad, I'm planning to in some English speaking European country though.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet

Or "Studying International Boobs"
What are you dense?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

Quote by I am wet

I have yet to study abroad, I'm planning to in some English speaking European country though.

So that is in Brittain or in Ireland? Or do you mean where you can follow the courses in English?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I am currently studying for my Ma in History at Lancaster University. It's my fourth year there, since I did my under-grad there too and I can tell you the department is really good. The uni is well ranked too - in the top ten for the UK.
The night-life is not quite as varied as bigger cities like Leeds/London etc but it is a nice city, plus we get quite a few international students so there is a good support base there for you.

PS: Nottingham is a shithole
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
I know a few Americans who came to Leeds Uni for the second semester, they both love it. If you can get in, Leeds has a fantastic night life, is cheap and the uni is awesome. The UK uni structure is very different to US but both said that they allow you to take classes that work very similarly to the way they'd work back at home.

EDIT: Seconded, I live in Notts during the holidays and the city is pretty weak, and the Uni has a bit of a rep as being a bit harder for internationals to get used to.
Last edited by Bonorly at Apr 20, 2011,
^Leeds is a top city. Great nightlife and best football club in the world.
Quote by GreenDayChris

Come to Scotland. It's way better than England.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
My physics class took a trip to Royal Halloway. It's not a bad place. Not the best for night life or any of that, but it's a decent school.
And yeah, don't rule out Scotland, they've got some brilliant uni's.

What will you be studying?
EDIT: My bad, didn't see you had put it in the original post. Sorry.
Last edited by Baby Joel at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by Random88

Come to Scotland. It's way better than England.

Better than Falkirk anyway.

Edinburgh is pretty nice though to be fair.
Let me give you some crucial advice:

Lumping the UK and Ireland together is quite offensive, especially once you're over here. Thousands of people died for Irish independence and it is a very ignorant thing to suggest. Likewise, American humour about car bombs is best to be avoided, especially in London where we used to get bombed very frequently.

Right. Now that's out of the way, study in London if you want to have more American friends as there is a bigger international community in London, otherwise I would suggest Bristol for history.

Also, look on UCAS and the Times website to see which institutions are best for the course you want to take, which is History. We don't do "majors" here, you just study a subject for 3 years.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Lumping the UK and Ireland together is quite offensive, especially once you're over here. Thousands of people died for Irish independence and it is a very ignorant thing to suggest. Likewise, American humour about car bombs is best to be avoided, especially in London where we used to get bombed very frequently.

Great to see a British person correcting someone on this.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Right. Now that's out of the way, study in London if you want to have more American friends as there is a bigger international community in London, otherwise I would suggest Bristol for history.

Also, look on UCAS and the Times website to see which institutions are best for the course you want to take, which is History. We don't do "majors" here, you just study a subject for 3 years.

Didn't mean to offend, I was just putting the two together because that is where I was looking at internationally. Regarding Nottingham, I heard it was pretty bad, but some people I saw online said it wasn't as bad as other people said. Onto Scotland, my original main choices were University of Edinburgh and University of Glasgow, but I though I wouldn't be able to get in with my GPA as it is. Next, can anybody tell me my chances at getting into Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, just basically any of the Unis I listed. And to the man who suggested Lancaster, I looked it up, and I actually quite liked it, I'll definitely consider it.
What are you dense?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

I'm thinking of studying abroad as well. I was considering the United States, but **** Freshman's year, which is at the same level as the Norwegian secondary schools' last year. I'm taking a year off now, but will apply through UCAS (SOCAS olololololol) for 2012 entry when UCAS opens for that.

Currenlty my list is: (Computer Engineer or similar)
Heriot-Watt University (Edinburgh, Scotland)
University of Glamorgan (Pontypridd, Wales)
University of Portsmouth (Portsmouth, England)
London Metropolitian University (London, England)
Glasgow University (I dunno, Aberdeen, right? )

If someone has some experience regarding one of these, I'd love to hear them.

I'm a Norwegian, who expect a GPA of 4.80 out of 6.00. (6 is more equivalent to the A*, wheras 5 means A in my opinion, since I need at least more than 95 % correct to get a 6.)

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Woah. Your interpretations are kind of interesting.

Quote by RampagingAcorn
Next, can anybody tell me my chances at getting into Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, just basically any of the Unis I listed. And to the man who suggested Lancaster, I looked it up, and I actually quite liked it, I'll definitely consider it.

> Find the universities' websites
> Locate the course
> Check "typical offers" Perhaps some even have listed american marks.
> ???
> Several pound sterling
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Apr 20, 2011,
UCAS is the work of the devil. I've pretty much given up on studying here purely because of how they pissed me about and am hoping to make a full emigration to Aussie land.
Quote by Sherlock_Bones
UCAS is the work of the devil. I've pretty much given up on studying here purely because of how they pissed me about and am hoping to make a full emigration to Aussie land.

UCAS is a complete piece of piss, how can it have possibly ****ed you about?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I studied at NUI Galway last spring and had a blast. They offered some pretty good Irish history classes, and the city was great. Its also pretty close to the Cliffs, Connemara and the Aran Islands so you can get the touristy things out of the way quickly (don't ever take bus tours hungover, the roads blow).
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by Sherlock_Bones

How?!

If something sucks with UCAS, it's the necessity of a personal statement and an academic reference. There are decent features on it too; on the Norwegian counterpart, Samorda Opptak,you have to arrange your "wishlist" numerically, and if you get an offer from for instance the first choise, you won't get an offer from the other choises -- and you'll have to wait until July for the answer.
Trinity College Dublin is probably the best irish college for history but they're pretty pretentious and elitist.NUI maynooth is a fantastic college in academic, social and cost of living respects
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by I am wet

So, England then?
They screwed about with my entry and a fair few others from my college, in fact. Essentially, they misplaced it, and I had to wait an awfully long time before I could actually sort out my student finances, which I couldn't get done in time. Although, looking back on it, sorting out your student finance is much harder anyway. I guess I was just one of those very, very, very few people who had problems
Quote by GreenDayChris
I am currently studying for my Ma in History at Lancaster University. It's my fourth year there, since I did my under-grad there too and I can tell you the department is really good. The uni is well ranked too - in the top ten for the UK.
The night-life is not quite as varied as bigger cities like Leeds/London etc but it is a nice city, plus we get quite a few international students so there is a good support base there for you.

PS: Nottingham is a shithole

compared to Lancaster its not. Nottingham's fine and pretty much everyone there is a student. Just stay outta da hood... which shouldnt be a problem since the uni's in Beeston. Im bored of it now but I have lived here for 6 years. Some very good guitar shops here too.
One thing I've learnt from American students is that they're not used to the marking system used in English/Irish/blah blah Uni's and they can get quite upset when they only get marks in the 60's when that isn't actually a bad mark.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by loose bowels
One thing I've learnt from American students is that they're not used to the marking system used in English/Irish/blah blah Uni's and they can get quite upset when they only get marks in the 60's when that isn't actually a bad mark.

How does the English/Welsh/Scottish university marking system work? (yeah, but seriously...)
Quote by GreenDayChris

*ahem* 6-1, 2003 *cough* Andy O'Brien, 2010

Quote by Todd Hart
UCAS is a complete piece of piss, how can it have possibly ****ed you about?

It f*cked up the start date of my insurance choice. Wanted deferred for 2012 start, gave me 2011. Just got it sorted out though.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Last edited by SlipknotRule93 at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by sfaune92
How does the English/Welsh/Scottish university marking system work? (yeah, but seriously...)

There are classifications - first class, second class, third class. Second class is split into upper second (2.1.) and lower second (2.2.).

A third is under 50. A 2.2 is 50-60, a 2.1. is 60-70 and a first is over 70.

But most tutors won't mark any higher than about 75. If you produce work over 80 it should be good enough to get published in an academic context basically. The best mark I ever got was 80 and I was told I should publish it.

It's a pretty poo system though because I personally got a 2.1. on my degree, my overall average from each module was 68.7. 1.3 PERCENT AWAY FROM A FIRST

Yet I'm being lumped in with someone who dossed through each lecture and only got 61 overall.

So, yeah. That's how it works.
You're talking about percentages herer, right?

Well, in my counterpart to the "A-levels", I usually achieve more than 80-90 % on tests, except in the Relgion and Ethics class (mandatory), but that's because of some lousy, old teacher.

Well, I just need to shine up my English proficency. That's for sure. Well, at least I can aim for a 2.1.
Quote by sfaune92
You're talking about percentages herer, right?

Well, in my counterpart to the "A-levels", I usually achieve more than 80-90 % on tests, except in the Relgion and Ethics class (mandatory), but that's because of some lousy, old teacher.

Well, I just need to shine up my English proficency. That's for sure. Well, at least I can aim for a 2.1.

It is but not in that way. There will be points for different aspects of the essay (if it's an essay mark) so you could have a maximum of 20 for content, say, a maximum of 10 for references, 10 for style, etc. So you could get a few points off each and the percentage you got out of all of those is your overall percent.

Nobody is going to give you full marks for content though, because like I said 80-90 means you should be publishing it. The best marks I ever got (except for something I spent months slaving over and did really well on) were between 70 and 75. Because that's a first, that's generally the top level people will give out.

It's annoying because your overall final grade is an average. If they were willing to go up into the 80s and 90s it would push someone's average waaaay up

/is still bitter about 68.3
Yeah, but you worked towards a degree in lingustics, right? Also, "University of the West of England" seems like a stupid name for a univiersity.

Do engineering students have to write lots as well? The longest text I've ever written was ~3500 words long.
Also, which parts of England is nicest and has the most understandable accents/geolects? I'm considering the south, as in Portsmouth.
Quote by sfaune92
Yeah, but you worked towards a degree in lingustics, right? Also, "University of the West of England" seems like a stupid name for a univiersity.

Do engineering students have to write lots as well? The longest text I've ever written was ~3500 words long.
Also, which parts of England is nicest and has the most understandable accents/geolects? I'm considering the south, as in Portsmouth.

Hohoho, it's a fine name for a uni and the grading is how it works across the board, not just in linguistics.

Brunel in London is good for engineering. I grew up near there, the area's ok, but the South West is reallyreallyreally nice, you should look at unis around here. Portsmouth is quite a small city, but I can't really comment other than that because I've never been there.
I'll be applying through an agent so nothing's going to be ****ed up, so I think I'll be best off choosing one cooporating with that agent, or some other agent, because then I'd be better off if something happens and so forth, as well as that the agent can help me contact the universities regarding extra help because of my visual impairment.

Brunel seems interesting, but I don't really consider London, because living and so forth is so damn expensive. Also, I've been to London, and the place was packed with tourists and foreigners. I'd like to actually see "Britain". My potential choises are listed in post #15. Cardiff/Pontypridd (Wales) is considered the southwest as well?
Quote by RampagingAcorn

and University of Leeds (again, if I'm lucky)

Definitely come to Leeds. We have it fantastic here.

The night life is unrivalled. The average clubber in Leeds has an IQ < 100. If you end up here, I'd definitely recommend Oceana. You can go and check out some banging tunes (mate) and pay through the teeth for a shitty alcopop. The best bit about Leeds though is that an incredible 65% of the people that go out on a night out there manage not to get attacked by a bunch of chavs. Oh, and make sure to pull yourself some sleezy ill-spoken orange tart by bluetoothing her a photograph of your knob you took with your hip iPhone and groping her from behind. If you're lucky she might even let you wear a rubber.

Another brilliant feature of Leeds is the great selection of guitar shops. We have Northern Guitars - a great little joint to visit if you want to browse a collection of poorly made Fender rip-offs. Once in a while you might even catch the real deal in there! Well, I say once in a while.... not very often, but on one occasion I have seen a real (Squier by) Fender in there. Aside from a few other crapholes selling nothing but a plethora of overpriced starter packs, we also have PMT. PMT is great if you can put up with dealing with the load of socially awkward condescending wanking-monkeys that they have employed there. Don't bother going in unless you're interested in trading your kidneys for some shitty hideously overpriced Dean that probably has a warped neck after being left in drop Z for a few months after some hardcore metalhead kid had a go at playing smoke on the water at a ridiculous volume 3 octaves below the original much to the displeasure of everyone else in the shop though.

Perhaps the best feature of Leeds is the towns surrounding the city centre. Just outside you have Holbeck, which is a great place to go if you happen to own an armoured truck and want to buy some stella from the local off-license, Beeston, which I believe is where half of the London bombers came from, some great heritage there, and it's near to Elland Road Stadium too, home to the single worst football team (or soccer for you yanks) in the history of the planet. Not that football means anything - damnit, why does that place exist? The fans are bloody persistent. Haven't won a game for a decade, but still at least once a month we get ridiculous traffic because all the knobheads are out to walk around on the main road for a few hours, then watch their team lose again, and then go get plastered in the pub and have a fight. Also near Leeds city centre, is Roundhay, which is a great place to go if you'd like to buy a burkha, and Seacroft... well I don't think even in a sarcastic tone there's anything good to say about Seacroft. Don't go there.
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by sfaune92
I'll be applying through an agent so nothing's going to be ****ed up, so I think I'll be best off choosing one cooporating with that agent, or some other agent, because then I'd be better off if something happens and so forth, as well as that the agent can help me contact the universities regarding extra help because of my visual impairment.

Brunel seems interesting, but I don't really consider London, because living and so forth is so damn expensive. Also, I've been to London, and the place was packed with tourists and foreigners. I'd like to actually see "Britain". My potential choises are listed in post #15. Cardiff/Pontypridd (Wales) is considered the southwest as well?

No, it's completely different over the border!

UWE, Bristol, Bath, and Bath Spa are all nice 'south west' unis though. I did my undergrad at UWE and I am starting a postgrad course at Bath Spa in september, It's a really nice campus.
Anybody want to recommend more possible colleges for my intended major, history?
What are you dense?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
No, it's completely different over the border!

UWE, Bristol, Bath, and Bath Spa are all nice 'south west' unis though. I did my undergrad at UWE and I am starting a postgrad course at Bath Spa in september, It's a really nice campus.

I was considering the University of Bath, but their computer engineering programme look no fun.
(And they expect a 5.00 average from Norwegians, which means at least 80 % on all tests. I'm expecting a 5.00 average this year, but the certificate add marks from year 11 and year 12... )
Last edited by sfaune92 at Apr 21, 2011,
Suzi, dunno if you've tried this, but my tutor said if that happens to you, just put your percentage on everything to differentiate yourself from slackers. Only give a classification if they specifically ask you with what classification you graduated - and then put the percentage on as well.
I don't know very much but I will try to help you out!

Royal Holloway- Good University, focuses on humanities. Has fairly poor night life but takes half an hour to get to London.
Nottingham- Not heard too much about it, bad area but a good uni.
King's College of London- Sorry can't help you here!
Or with National University of Ireland
University of Leeds- Fantastic Uni and nightlife, my good friend wants to study History there and he is a really smart guy so this makes me assume that the course is very good. I'd recommend looking further into it.

Oh and have you looked at Bath university? I hear that it is good for history too.
Quote by sfaune92

Portsmouth is the best city ever, and is the place where heroes are born

On a more serious note, there is an accent in Portsmouth but I can't comment on it since I'm from here. I don't think I have the accent though (living just outside), but I hear it too often to make a judgement on how understandable it is. I'm guessing quite good.

Quote by Ziphoblat
and it's near to Elland Road Stadium too, home to the single worst football team (or soccer for you yanks) in the history of the planet. Not that football means anything - damnit, why does that place exist? The fans are bloody persistent. Haven't won a game for a decade, but still at least once a month we get ridiculous traffic because all the knobheads are out to walk around on the main road for a few hours, then watch their team lose again, and then go get plastered in the pub and have a fight.

If you're coming to Portsmouth, don't plan on driving down Goldsmith Avenue on a Saturday evening, something very similar happens
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Last edited by SlipknotRule93 at Apr 21, 2011,
Quote by SlipknotRule93
Portsmouth is the best city ever, and is the place where heroes are born

On a more serious note, there is an accent in Portsmouth but I can't comment on it since I'm from here. I don't think I have the accent though (living just outside), but I hear it too often to make a judgement on how understandable it is. I'm guessing quite good.

If you're coming to Portsmouth, don't plan on driving down Goldsmith Avenue on a Saturday evening, something very similar happens

Well, at least it's more understandable than Glasgowese.
Also, I don't give two shits about football anyway, so that's fine.
Page 1 of 2