Hello Pit,
Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put it or not (I considered songwriting but meh, not quite sure). Anyway, an old pal of mine is putting together what he calls Album-A-Day. He has done it before but I have never been in attendance. Essentially, he invites about 20 people (well, musicians specifically) and puts them in a room for 24 hours and the goal is to write 20 songs and have them recorded in this time frame. It sounds like a really fun idea actually and the musicians invited are all people I have worked with in the past. Has anyone had any experiences with something similar to this on this scale? It sounds like a fun challenge because we all have different backgrounds of music. Myself, play and write hard rock and metal but also am working on some musical stuff for theatre. Should make for an interesting combo?
do it you can probably learn alot about songwriting from such an experience, and it seems like alot of fun:P
I got a combo for you Ts. Chickpeas, lentils, and rice. Try it with rice. I am sure some good ideas could come out of that session.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
That sounds AWESOME. I wanna be part of it
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
I wish I had friends that would do this!
Strange, It seems like a character mutation, Though I have all the means, of bringing you fuckers down, I can't make myself, To destroy upon command, Somehow forgiveness, lets the evil make a loss - Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse/Wayne Coyne
Quote by walkingminstral
I wish I had friends that would do this!

FFS! As soon as I leave Auckland, someone like minded pops up.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by mike_anderson25
FFS! As soon as I leave Auckland, someone like minded pops up.

Oh man, what could have been! Maybe I should start an group for NZ players who are keen to do this sort of thing.
Strange, It seems like a character mutation, Though I have all the means, of bringing you fuckers down, I can't make myself, To destroy upon command, Somehow forgiveness, lets the evil make a loss - Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse/Wayne Coyne
Actually I know of a few o'er the shore who may well be interested, especially seein as you blokes are on holiday right now. I swear I'm destined to be a solo artist

- Rene Magritte
Quote by mike_anderson25
That sounds AWESOME. I wanna be part of it

+1

Seriously, I would love nothing more than to be stuck in a room with 20 musicians for a day to record an album.

Holy shit, the energy levels of creativity in that room would blow us away!
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
+1

Seriously, I would love nothing more than to be stuck in a room with 20 musicians for a day to record an album.

Holy shit, the energy levels of creativity in that room would blow us away!

THAT'S IT. I'm buying a ticket to the sandbox. Ali, you better have a couch I can crash on. walkingminstral, you're coming too. 3 down, 17 to go!

- Rene Magritte
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Things like this will never work because there'll be at least two "leaders" in such a large group.

Agreed. It sounds like a cool idea, but I can't see it working at all.
*Guy 1 writes riff*
*Guy 2 shits all over riff*
*Guy 3 likes it, but wants to make a fewwww tiny adjustments*
*new riff is not br00tal enough for Guys 4-9*
*Breakdown is added, Indie/Alt Guys kill themselves*
etc.
Quote by Monolisk
Agreed. It sounds like a cool idea, but I can't see it working at all.
*Guy 1 writes riff*
*Guy 2 shits all over riff*
*Guy 3 likes it, but wants to make a fewwww tiny adjustments*
*new riff is not br00tal enough for Guys 4-9*
*Breakdown is added, Indie/Alt Guys kill themselves*
etc.

very true, it's hard enough writing in a 4 piece.
I've seen 24 hour plays work out pretty well and I think actors are just as hard to work with if not harder to work with than musicians.
If they split it up into small groups rather than all working on the same piece at the same time it would turn out amazing. This is a really cool idea.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Just look at how Roadrunner United did it. I mean, they were supergroups, but the principle remains the same. You just gotta sort it out so there's at least similar minded people in each one.
I once read about this guy making an album a month for a year. But an album in a day. It of course can be done as long as each musician pulls their weight. But whether the sounds would be any good? That's a different thing altogether.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
20 musicians show up

16 play lead guitar
1 plays rhythm
2 play bass
1 drummer
Quote by cptcomet
I once read about this guy making an album a month for a year. But an album in a day. It of course can be done as long as each musician pulls their weight. But whether the sounds would be any good? That's a different thing altogether.

I think John Frusciante did that. Jack White may have as well, but I'm not so sure about him.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread