Page 1 of 2
First off, Happy boobs day!

Now, does anyone here like the music they record? Or do you have any weird recording habits?

I always start to hate any of my songs after 3 or 4 listens.
And I'm really good at starting a song up, but never good with following through with recording.

So tell me pit, do you guys like your music?
Yeah, else I'd delete it/stop trying/something else. I think I have a lot of great material I'm just not that good at putting it together to a song yet. Working on it, though.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Yeah, else I'd delete it/stop trying/something else. I think I have a lot of great material I'm just not that good at putting it together to a song yet. Working on it, though.

What he said
I actually enjoy it. I lost the original files on my laptop (or maybe accidently deleted the folder with them - I can't remember), but sometimes I'll listen to the clips I've uploaded on UG when I think back to when I recorded them. Some of them are about a year old now so it's nice to listen to them occassionally. So yes, I do like my music.
yeah i really love my music, but im always trying to find ways to make it sound better.
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Quote by Kensai

I don't delete it really, all my friends tell me it's good and I should stop being an attention *****

But still, there's always something to change, no matter what :/
Quote by chaoticfables
If I hated it, why would I make it in the first place?

I didn't mean it like that

What I meant was, you start off a song and you feel pretty good about it.
After a day of recording, you listen to it again and it's not that bad.
The next day you decide to give it another listen, and you wonder what the hell you were doing...
I have a bunch of songs that I started, and I don't really like them. I come up with an interesting melody, but I don't know how to fit it in. Vocals? Slow guitar solo? Chord progression in the form of a melody?
Yes. yes I do.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by triface
I have a bunch of songs that I started, and I don't really like them. I come up with an interesting melody, but I don't know how to fit it in. Vocals? Slow guitar solo? Chord progression in the form of a melody?

exactly
Sometimes I dislike my lyrics because I think they're too simplistic.

I always consider the first draft of lyrics a framework anyway, to get the cadance and fit with the music. I'm currently working on re-writing some of them as we speak.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I don't dislike my lyrics, I absolutely hate 'em

They never makes sense to anyone but me, and I take ages to write one song
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I don't dislike my lyrics, I absolutely hate 'em

They never makes sense to anyone but me, and I take ages to write one song

First time round I just make it up as I go along. Once I like how they fit with the music, I try and rewrite them to be about something a little more interesting!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Yeah. Do you? (referring to a certain blue link below...)
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I've been starting to write music I'm actually happy with more recently.

Even lyrics-wise. I usually hate my lyrics, but recently I think I've been writing lyrics that are at least decent.
Sort of. I'm aware of 100 flaws, and I really want to make better music in the future, but I'm mostly proud of it.

Although immediately after writing something I'm completely convinced it's the best thing anyone has ever done, and usually at some point when continuing writing, I completely lose confidence in what I've written already. So I have no sense of objectivity or perspective about my own music.

And I'm only talking about writing, everything I've recorded so far had been pretty horrid.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by metacarpi
First time round I just make it up as I go along. Once I like how they fit with the music, I try and rewrite them to be about something a little more interesting!

Thanks, I'm gonna try that tonight. My problem with lyrics is that there always seems to be someone else's stuck in my head.

Quote by sfaune92
Yeah. Do you? (referring to a certain blue link below...)

So far so good
I'm at the beginning of 'Noctivagation' as I type.
I should start putting my more serious work on UG, all I have now is just things I was messing about with.

Quote by crazy8rgood
I've been starting to write music I'm actually happy with more recently.

Even lyrics-wise. I usually hate my lyrics, but recently I think I've been writing lyrics that are at least decent.

Same here, but I still sort of dislike it after some while.
I only write full songs out of ideas i like. If I don't like what I'm hearing, I'm sure as hell not gonna play it on stage.
My name is Jack.
I often find that when I write stuff, and write it down, Ill think its pretty good.

If i come back and play it again, ill often think it sounds like balls......
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I'd say i'm quite satisfied with my compositions, i'm kind of an perfectionist though. I need everything to sound just as i want it =P and i don't stop until i get it down (despite genre).
Quote by DeaThrash
I'd say i'm quite satisfied with my compositions, i'm kind of an perfectionist though. I need everything to sound just as i want it =P and i don't stop until i get it down (despite genre).

I'm kind of a perfectionist too,
except I don't have any instruments to record with so this makes my job much much harder...
I like my music and I like my lyrics separately. They never seem to fit together
cat
Yeah, I guess, but I understand like 99.9% of the crit I get though, I'd like to say, even though I like it, I sound a bit better now, through practise or whatever.
Quote by Jyrgen
I haven't written a song yet.

Well you should try it, it can be fun sometimes...

...sometimes.
I write my music for ME, I try to write the kind of stuff I'd listen to and enjoy. If I didn't like it I would have failed at this basic objective. Yes, I like it.

As for the execution - I learn to live with it. They're not commercial releases so I think of them as demos with room for improvement in recording and / or playing. I go for feel rather than perfection.

Sometimes the 'living with it' doesn't work and I have to go back and redo something if I think I haven't reached a certain standard after a few days.
Last edited by Jehannum at Apr 20, 2011,
I suck with lyrics.
And I got a shit ton of various riffs, chord progressions, melodies, etc.
Every now and then I come up with something new that fits in with something previously recorded.
Not too many complete songs, maybe 10 that I like to some degree.

But I generally like what I record.

Edit:
And I only have lyrics for 3 of those songs
Maybe I should read something besides tech related stuff.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 20, 2011,
I do for about 2 days... Then I get bored.
I might quote pretentiously here and say that a true artist hates his own work though
Quote by CodeMonk
I suck with lyrics.
And I got a shit ton of various riffs, chord progressions, melodies, etc.
Every now and then I come up with something new that fits in with something previously recorded.
Not too many complete songs, maybe 10 that I like to some degree.

But I generally like what I record.

Edit:
And I only have lyrics for 3 of those songs
Maybe I should read something besides tech related stuff.

I've only got 3 songs with lyrics too!
^Me too! And by lyrics I mean, a few sentences and phrases that I'm putting off having to flesh out.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
At first I think "oh this sounds so cool" and then I either scrap it or never end up finishing it. So I guess, no I don't really like it
Signatureless. And this doesn't count. Because I said so.
I like when I start it, or else I wouldn't even be trying, but once I try to add more to it, I start to hate it, then stop trying.
I like my music for a day or so, it loses its appeal thereafter. I only ever seem to write intros and then give up because I don't know where to take it.
Some of it I enjoy. My vocals, however.....they need some work.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Page 1 of 2