Ok, There is a well known performer & manager from my area that we have been friends with for a while. They are much more well known and play at bigger places. They have also won a couple of awards.

Over the last 4 months they have been mentoring us and guiding us in the right direction. We noticed a couple of months ago that they were playing a show in Brisbane and were asking for a support act where our band will be moving to very soon. We emailed them but we didn't get a reply. We have seen them since and talked about other things.

Today I contacted their manager about a couple of other things and asked whether we would be ok to open for them. I get a reply: no mate. sorry.

I mean COME ON. I am quite peeved that they didn't offer an explanation and have always been keen to help us in the past. That's all I got.

What are your thoughts about this?

Tl;dr
Performer we've be friends with for a while is playing a show and needed an opener. We asked and they shafted us.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Maybe you're not good enough.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by Tom 1.0
Maybe you suck?

Don't you think that that would be better for them? If we sucked, it would make them sound even better.

UG Awards
Quote by seeneyj
Don't you think that that would be better for them? If we sucked, it would make them sound even better.

....and make the guy that arranged for you to perform look like a clueless ****wit.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Gotta take it on the chin. I'm sure worse things happen, but good luck for the future.

edit: \/ this \/
Last edited by Sherlock_Bones at Apr 20, 2011,
you get free help and assume that you automatically get to be #1 in their eyes? Be grateful for the guidance you got, maybe you do suck...
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Anyway, we don't suck. I've been playing for years in many different bands and can play quite decently along with the rest of our support band.

Proof if you want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_gPcowHPbA

So if it isn't that, what is it? It is very strange....

UG Awards
There are lots of potential reasons for it.

You aren't good enough for what THEY need.
They want a more established band.
Your music doesn't suit what they want to do.
They just don't want you there.
They have someone in mind and are trying to get them on board.
Quote by seeneyj

No.

If I was out and went to see some band who had a shitty support act.

I would probably leave.

You want your support act to be a solid band, not some shit one to make you look better

Chances are, they think your not good enough, stop asking for help and guidance all the time and do things yourself, then they might want to gig with you. Why would they want you there if all your going to do is constantly ask questions or want their help?

More likely, it they are relatively well known in one region and are moving to another, they will want a larger local Brisbane band to draw in more people. Not some nobodies that couldn't organise their own gig.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by seeneyj
Anyway, we don't suck. I've been playing for years in many different bands and can play quite decently along with the rest of our support band.

Proof if you want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_gPcowHPbA

So if it isn't that, what is it? It is very strange....

Well were you getting paid?
Maybe they just didn't want to spend the extra cash

You guys are pretty good, I liked that vid

Also, how much do you want for your bassist?

AEDIT: Talalat talalat talalata!!

You've brainwashed me!
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Well were you getting paid?
Maybe they just didn't want to spend the extra cash

You guys are pretty good, I liked that vid

Also, how much do you want for your bassist?

Thank you

Yeah, we would be happy to do it for free. It would be great exposure for us.
hahaha yeah, she is an extremely talented bassist Hit her up for a gig. She'll be interested

UG Awards
Quote by seeneyj
Thank you

Yeah, we would be happy to do it for free. It would be great exposure for us.
hahaha yeah, she is an extremely talented bassist Hit her up for a gig. She'll be interested

I would love to, but I'm pretty sure we're on different continents

Also, what was the name of the band you were gonna open for? Maybe you just didn't play the same style as they did

Or they are being divas
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I would love to, but I'm pretty sure we're on different continents

Also, what was the name of the band you were gonna open for? Maybe you just didn't play the same style as they did

Or they are being divas

His name is Jason Lee. He plays country music, we are still country but with more of a rock edge.

Yeah, I just don't get it because we have been good mates with him and his manager for a while now.

UG Awards
Quote by JackalUK
There are lots of potential reasons for it.

You aren't good enough for what THEY need.
They want a more established band.
Your music doesn't suit what they want to do.
They just don't want you there.
They have someone in mind and are trying to get them on board.

This.

I may even be that the decision is out of their hands.
Sometimes, the position of supporting act will still be advertised even if the position has already been filled, because it a) brings potential future support acts to their attention and b) it's the kind of thing that newspapers like to cover, giving plenty of free publicity for the gig.

The thing to remember is that just because someone is mentoring you, that doesn't automaticaly give you a monopoly on supporting them.
Mentoring is one thing, business is another thing entirely, so you shouldn't feel upset or betrayed by them if you don't get the support slot.
Don't be disheartened, maybe the time will come later when they will ask you. Just be grateful for the help that you have received thus far.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Where one door closes another one opens. Hopefully.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Really? I've had organizers and good friends promise to put us on shows, and then once a show comes along, have them tell us "No." You just have to live with it. You are NEVER guaranteed a show, regardless of how good you think you are. There's so many reasons you didn't get the spot, and I'm glad you didn't. I don't want to go to gigs if the only reason bands are playing is because they happen to know each other.