I'm just wondering because I've been playing roughly for 9 months - 11 months now, I'm just curious on what I should know how to do. Cheers ~
Know how to alternate pick.
Know how to fingerpick possibly. That's more of a personal preference however, but i think everyone should know it.
Know the basic CAGED chord shapes.
Know how to palm mute.
Know chucking. This is also a personal preference, but mainly useful for acoustic playing.
Know how to do basic legato. hammerons and pulloffs etc.
Know natural harmonics.
Know artificial harmonics. This one is also a personal preference and almost always for electric guitar playing.
Know unison bending.
Know downpicking. I'm talking to like a faster speed eg. Master of Puppets.
Know Barre Chords. I've been playing 2 years and i'm still horrible at them ):

That's some of the basics sorry i'm not of better help. I'm just going by what i learnt in my first 11months. This is why i'm not a guitar teacher (:
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 20, 2011,
know that you need a better amp
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by vayne92
Know how to alternate pick.
Know how to fingerpick possibly. That's more of a personal preference however, but i think everyone should know it.
Know the basic CAGED chord shapes.
Know how to palm mute.
Know chucking. This is also a personal preference, but mainly useful for acoustic playing.
Know how to do hammerons and pulloffs.

That's some of the basics sorry i'm not of better help. This is why i'm not a guitar teacher (:

Know all of them, it's cool; you helped me

I've been taught how to tap, sweep, pinched harmonics etc. Thanks a lot
Quote by Swannie
know that you need a better amp

I have an alright amp. Well, actually it's pretty crap. But still, I can live with it.
Well if you know everything that i've listed (btw i keep adding to the list as i remember haha) then i'm sure you're doing alright. Obviously you're gonna be weaker in some areas so why not practise some things you're weaker at perhaps? I know i for one am awful at legato but a great alternate / economy picker for example.
Quote by vayne92
Well if you know everything that i've listed (btw i keep adding to the list as i remember haha) then i'm sure you're doing alright. Obviously you're gonna be weaker in some areas so why not practise some things you're weaker at perhaps? I know i for one am awful at legato but a great alternate / economy picker for example.

Awesome I'll make a list in my thread, thanks a lot.
Once you get a general handling of basic technique (the list above isn't bad), you'll want to start exploring deeper into learning and getting a hang of everything. Learn harder songs, push yourself, and take every technique to as far as you can get it. When it comes your time, learn theory and why what goes where so you can make your own music. Learn things based on what your individual goals are - if you're in a blues rock band, you don't necessarily need to be able to do a 6 string sweeping run up the progression at 140 bpm into a string skipping scale ascension, but a thirst for knowledge should lead you here anyway.

You should try to cover all ground possible and, while it's not likely you'll cover it all, that effort will as a whole improve your aural, technical, and musical output in extreme amounts. "Aim for the moon, cause if you fail, you'll at least fall amongst the stars"
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I would def. advise finding some time to improvise as you practice.... Just jam over anything, incorporatng whatever techniques + theory you're learning into making real music.
Never too early to start that... And you never 'master' it - you'll just keep getting better at it.

I would list things to avoid - based on my own early experience...
but I don't have time to write a text book
There's no list of certain things that you should know at a certain time. People learn in different ways and at different speeds. And it also depends on what style of music you play. Someone who's been playing for 3 years and likes metal may know how to sweep while someone who's been playing for 10 years but likes country music probably won't know how to sweep.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Vibrato, it's universal almost among all genres. But it's also a very advanced topic in some ways when you're shaping it to exactly the way you want it to.
: )