I've been learning the song Sanitarium by Metallica. It's got 4 guitar solos in it which i can all play rather easy, apart from the 4th one. I'm a rather weak legato player and there's a decent amount of whammying in that solo (and i don't have a whammy bar), so i thought this would be a good time to try improvising.
I'm not very good with my guitar theory, i only know the real basics. So i was wondering, does anyone know if i have to improvise in the same key / scale to make it sound right?
If so does anybody know what scale / key or whatever this solo is in.
If anyone could offer any advice in general it would be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WElvEZj0Ltw (Skip to 4:20)

Thank you (:
Welcome Home's in E minor. And no, you don't have to use the same key, it should probably be centered around E, but you have licence to do pretty much whatever you want. Although I 'd stick with major scale stuff, (e minor, major, etc), that song doesn't have a very exotic feel so harmonic minors probably wouldn't work. Some diminished might work. Personally I think the e minor blues scale would be a good choice especially if you're kind of new to lead stuff.
Just use E minor pentatonic. That's all that Kirk does anyways.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Just use E minor pentatonic. That's all that Kirk does anyways.

Not true. Creeping Death, Blackened, Fade to Black, The Unforgiven, those all have solos in different scales than e minor pentatonic. Its really only the first album that's he plays mostly pentatonic scales, and that's mainly because he was asked to follow Mustain's solo closely for the songs he had written. Not saying he's a guitar god, but he's more skilled than most people give him credit for.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Not true. Creeping Death, Blackened, Fade to Black, The Unforgiven, those all have solos in different scales than e minor pentatonic. Its really only the first album that's he plays mostly pentatonic scales, and that's mainly because he was asked to follow Mustain's solo closely for the songs he had written. Not saying he's a guitar god, but he's more skilled than most people give him credit for.

For at least 99% of his solos, he uses major/minor pentatonic. That's it. If you can play the minor pentatonic scale at a decent speed throughout the neck, you can play ever solo Kirk has ever played.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
For at least 99% of his solos, he uses major/minor pentatonic. That's it. If you can play the minor pentatonic scale at a decent speed throughout the neck, you can play ever solo Kirk has ever played.

I don't even listen to metallica, and I literally laughed when I read this...

Look, I understand you aren't completely serious, and that you are subtly hinting at sarcasm, but I thought I would just point out that the Minor and Major Pentatonics do not just entitle you to the ability to instantly copy someone else's solo work, no matter how stuck in the pentatonic they are.. You have to take into account the certain nuances that defines that guitarist's tone and sound.

What I'm referring to is the feel that Kirk, or any guitarist for that matter uses; his fingers to string connection, vibrato, bends, phrasing, etc.

Just because you can play the pentatonic at lightspeed, doesn't mean you can play someone else's solo flawlessly. What a childish generalization.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Welcome Home's in E minor. And no, you don't have to use the same key, it should probably be centered around E, but you have licence to do pretty much whatever you want. Although I 'd stick with major scale stuff, (e minor, major, etc), that song doesn't have a very exotic feel so harmonic minors probably wouldn't work. Some diminished might work. Personally I think the e minor blues scale would be a good choice especially if you're kind of new to lead stuff.

+1

Big props, for recommending using an e minor blues scale. But for also telling him that he doesnt have to play in the same key!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Check this site out guys...its one of those sites that actually helps....taught me how to improvise very well.

http://44ebfdzkkc1mt1wfzowa-bzfa6.h...net/?tid=GUITAR