Lately I have not been satisfied with my strings, I use DR black beauties (.45-.105). I am starting to get sick of the string noise and brightness. I do not have any experience with different types of strings and would like some opinions on what I should try out. I play a Squire VM P Bass through a 1x12 for practice and a GK Goldline 500 head hooked up to whatever 810 or 410 the club has for shows. I play poppunk, hardcore, rock, blues, indie, and 90's type punk. I would prefer something that can get really thumpy without sounding like mud.
Last edited by poooop at Apr 20, 2011,
I would suggest flatwounds given most of your genre selections. Tapewounds might work, but may be too thumpy for your tastes (though I love them for blues, jazz and ska/reggae)

My suggestion is to get a set of Roto 77s or La Bellas. Rotos are nice because they are a bit brighter sound than most flats but still have a good mellow thump over time.
Definitely a brighter set of flatwounds. Tapewounds are loverly but they won't cut through in punk. As for which flatwounds:

GHS and Optima Gold suck.
Rotosound and Ernie Ball are good. (The EB a overpriced though.)
Labellas are great but have a realy vintagey vibe to them, take that as you will.
Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats are my personal favourite, I would have no problem using them in a punk band or a jazz band alike. In fact, I use them in a metal band in drop B.
^+1

I use Ti's aswell but I also use Pyramids Golds and Labellas.

I found TI fit in all genres unlike the Pyramids and the labellas.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by anarkee
I would suggest flatwounds given most of your genre selections. Tapewounds might work, but may be too thumpy for your tastes (though I love them for blues, jazz and ska/reggae)

My suggestion is to get a set of Roto 77s or La Bellas. Rotos are nice because they are a bit brighter sound than most flats but still have a good mellow thump over time.

+1 for the Roto 77's!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.