Hey guys, I'm interested in picking up a Marshall JCM series head, either an 800/900/2000. what is the major difference between the models, and what would you recommend?

Preferably I want 2 channels, one for cleans and one for high gain rhythms/leads. I'll be using a decent amount of pedals to further shape my tone as well.
I understand that the 800/900 have 2 channel versions of the head, but I've heard that those versions are less than desirable?

any insight would be appreciated!

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
The 2 channel versions of 800/900 are less desirable than their 1 channel counterparts but are still probably more desirable than the jcm2000. I like all those amps but a single channel 800 would be my first pick, especially with pedals
^this. If you need two channels, a two channel 800 is gonna be your best bet
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
what makes the 2000 less desirable?
is it not a good amp, tone wise? Only asking because I'm finding them EVERYWHERE for like $500 used.

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
yea ide like to understand the deal with the 2000 as well
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The JCM2000 isn't a bad amp really. I think a lot of the dislike comes from many people just preferring the tone of older Marshalls like the JCM800, plexi etc. Personally I don't care for the tone.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
The 2000 isn't as good because you can get a similar sound boosting a single channel 800 as you can with the red channel on the 2000, only the 800 isn't a dog's breakfast inside for troubleshooting.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I really like my JCM 2000. I think it sounds pretty good. The clean channel is great and the gain channel boosted sounds awesome too.
I have a Marshall JCM2000 TSL122 and it gives me total run of the spectrum, but I love to have as much versitility as possible. I actually had a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 preiously however the motherboard burnt out on that and Sam Ash refunded my entire purchase. I love the extreme tightness I get from the JCM2000...the others sound too loose for my taste.
Honestly, I really love my DSL 401. However I like it a lot better after replacing the speaker with a Vintage 30, and replacing the stock tubes. I only have one complaint about it, the red channel gets really fizzy.

However I'd rather have a JCM 800. Also, the only good 900 is the SLX, I've tried the dual reverb and I just didn't like it at all.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
I like my TSL although I haven't had the chance to try out any higher end amps.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

It's a matter of this:

versus this:

No thanks.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The dual reverb does not sound as good as that chart says it does.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
The dual reverb is a paperweight with tubes in it.

My preference...

JCM800 2203/2204, JCM800 2205/2210, JCM2000 DSL100, JCM900 2100 (Mk III), JCM900 2100 (SLX), and I don't particularly care for the rest.
What kind of metal sounds do you need? List some bands.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
more good info can be found in here:

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

otherwise, I agree with most everyone else has said as it relates to the older the amp the better. I have found good qualities in the DSL, TSL and even the JVM though.
Quote by classicrocker01
What kind of metal sounds do you need? List some bands.

I'm not really looking for a metal tone. i already have that with my 5150 II.

I want a lesser gain tone, something that is still heavy and chunky to get that "chugga chugga" while still being able to hear every string. I play a lot of full chords and arpeggios. I also do a lot of clean work with delays, reverb and volume swells in the fashion that Explosions In The Sky does. Another good example of the tone I'm talking about is Underoath's album The Sound of Seperation.

This may sound super confusing as I just described a cluster**** of sounds lol. To put it in perspective. I play in a band that is somehow blending Shai Hulud, Misery Signals, Life In Your Way, and As Cities Burn. So we want to be heavy,beautiful, intricate and emotional.

Ironically enough, my drummer John, used to play drums for Life In Your Way. he recorded on the albums Ignite and Rebuild and Waking Giants.
I know this isn't the right area for promotion, so I'll leave it at that. If anyone was a fan of LIYW and is curious about my new band. PM me

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
Last edited by New_Crisis at Apr 21, 2011,
You could always check out Splawn, Matchless, etc. depending on your budget
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]