My band and I, aren't really extroverted people but want to record our music and share it with the world. But due to our nature, is it necessary to preform gigs? Like we'd play one every so often but does it have to be a monthly thing?
Well that depends on your business model. Are you trying to be recording artists? If so, you'll want to push for online marketing and try to sell albums online.

If not, then yes, shows are a necessity. And monthly would be an understatement, you should be shooting for an average of 1 show a week, if not more depending on your level of seriousness.

Even if you were trying to go the recording artist route, then shows are still valuable to promote in a grass roots sort of way. People see you live they they check you out on the internet. It helps to boost traffic and raise your search engine placement. Otherwise you are fighting an uphill battle.

And just cuz you are introverts or whatever doesn't mean you can't play live. Lots of musician's are quiet introverted types - james hetfield and lars ulrich, for example.

Sounds like you probably are just afraid to get on stage for whatever reason.
If you want money: yes.
If you want it for the love of music and don't really care about the profits: no.

Chances of making it big: tiny

Want to share it with the world? Make some class A youtube videos and you will. Then put it on Itunes. You won't earn much but you'll have fun.
But gigs are were the money's at.
We were aiming to be more of a studio band, with a show or two sprinkled in there every so often to get people to check out our music.
name me one band that didnt build their reputation off live shows...... if you play REAL instruments (guitars drums, bass vocals etc) that is your bread and butter. if you are an electronic band, you still need to get onstage, but i think the focus wont be as much on you.

if you want to share your music with the world, and only can do a couple shows a month, dont you think you should continue on tht path while putting your music on itunes or something? you are still getting your target audience at the live shows, but you can still broaden your fanbase with itunes and youtube via the interwebz. its really a win win---unless you REALLY dont enjoy the stage.
Quote by ResilientBeast
We were aiming to be more of a studio band, with a show or two sprinkled in there every so often to get people to check out our music.

Understandable, IMO tho, gigging is one of the funnest parts of being in a band. I'm not exactly an extrovert either, but exposure-wise, and money-wise as the guy above mentioned, you can't go wrong.

It's actually hard to market a local band on youtube, people don't know your name or who you are, so they don't know what to search for.

In addition, part of the appeal of local music is that the audience feels like they "know" you personally (less social distance between the band and audience).

People that don't know you, or feel you represent the local scene in their area, just don't care.

Playing live also gets you in the eye of the local media. You can get an article in a local magazine, for instance, which pushes you to a larger audience.

One show a month isn't going to do this. You have to get your name everywhere. It isn't till people hear your name 3-5 times that they will take action and check you out. It's a rule of advertising, you've gotta saturate the market with your brand.
Last edited by Riffman15 at Apr 20, 2011,
Quote by ResilientBeast

that is great in concept but the only people you will be getting to check out your studio efforts are your friends and whoever they tell, which many will argue is infinite but it is not. to get outsiders in to your music to really spread the word then you need to play consistently have ep's for sale or hell even for free or for $1 to cover your cost to expose your music.

It has been said already though, it depends what you really want to do. Be a studio band like the Beatles? Yes/maybe/no; I would love to be but they toured their ass off and promoted themselves extremely well at the start so they could get to that level.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
we play normally 4 a month, so about once a week, but you have to spread out where your playing, so me being in SC, will play a show locally, then go down to the coast and play there, next weekend play in the upstate, and then for another one play in either neighboring georgia or NC.

Like someone said above it really depends on what your trying to accomplish. Shows are a lot of fun and I want to play them all the time, you just have to manage them correctly and spread them out over a timetable, because don't want to play in the same place almost weekly because it will effect how many people come out to your show, that's why cycling through a couple places across your area works so well, allows you to play more gigs with out effecting each other.

Again what are your goals? Recording act or a touring act?
Quote by scguitarking927
we play normally 4 a month, so about once a week, but you have to spread out where your playing, so me being in SC, will play a show locally, then go down to the coast and play there, next weekend play in the upstate, and then for another one play in either neighboring georgia or NC.

Like someone said above it really depends on what your trying to accomplish. Shows are a lot of fun and I want to play them all the time, you just have to manage them correctly and spread them out over a timetable, because don't want to play in the same place almost weekly because it will effect how many people come out to your show, that's why cycling through a couple places across your area works so well, allows you to play more gigs with out effecting each other.

Again what are your goals? Recording act or a touring act?

Good point. It does effect turnout if you play in the same location. However, I've found that weekly at the same location/town can work if it's a place with a built in crowd such as a bar.

I knew a band in my local college town that played nearly weekly at bars around town, got huge, tons of people following and coming out to their shows.

Otherwise, you definitely don't want to be trying to sell tickets to your friends on a weekly basis. So yeah...