Page 1 of 2
Anyone know why they are so hated by everyone, the ammount of grief i get for playing them is unreal,
Gear:
Guitars:
1. Epiphone Custom Shop Explorer Apparition
2. BC Rich Iron Bird 2003 LTD Spaceface
3. Gould KK Series LTD Reaper 600
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic
Cheap ones still manage to be over priced shit.

People who know their stuff know the good ones are the bomb.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
they are some of the best guitars you can get under £300 but over that they are usually blown away by most other brands
They are ugly and cheaply made. The only people I see playing them are teeniebopper metalheads who like how it's all pointy and looks like some sort of weapon.
They just look like you're trying to hard to be so 'metulz'...
I quite like the Mockingbird though, probably cos it doesn't look like a hedgehog.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

When I was 16, I decided to start playing guitar. My dad was all in! He took me to many guitar shops and told me to try out lots of guitars. He told me to pick any guitar within a reasonable price range($500 back in 2001). I was immediately drawn to the BC Rich Warlock platinum series with the floyd and widow headstock. He thought it looked neat!(his words) I knew we wouldn't have the money to get another guitar for years so the one I picked would have to serve until I was out of school. I decided that as a 16 year old I may like that crazy looking guitar, but as a 17+ year old I would not be happy with it.

The truth is that not everyone can rock that look. You will also get comments in here about quality and blah blah blah. Every guitar manufacturer makes cheap guitars. If you spend enough money at BC Rich, you'll get a really good playing guitar just like anywhere else, but its gonna have an untraditional shape.
I have one of the Art-Series Mockingbird that I bought cheap. The art is a bit goofy, but man, the thing plays great. Even for a low-end the neck and setup is great. The pickups are real hot with alot of good gain. It's a bit top heavy, but it is my favorite 'cheap' guitar I own.
Basically, agathis body woods on guitars worth up to £500 or $800. They come with muddy, bland pickups. cheapo harware. Unbalanced bodies due to the strap button locations, poor fret jobs making them poor guitars to play, very uncomfortable and generally look riduculous, expecially ones with cheesy graphics on them and plasticy finsihes.

They are VERY overpriced. You are buying a body shape with Bc Rich, not a quality instrument. Though their higher end instruments are good as you would expect with any brand, their cheap ones are some of the worst and most overpriced guitars you can buy in my opinion
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 20, 2011,
The problem is that most people are familiar with them as "that pointy thing that's been in the pawn shop for five years." There are so many of the cheap ones floating around that most people don't realize there are also high-end models. Personally, I love the neck-through Mockingbird and can't stand any of the bolt-on ones, so make of that what you will.
Plus some of them are friggin' hideous.
its just because low-end models sucks...though i think higher models are kick ass
Generally because a lot of dickheaded metalkids use them.

If I see Erik Routan blasting his Ironbird onstage it sure as hell looks dope and brutal as ****, but all these 14y old Slipknot fans on YT don't help the brand.
Well i have a custom shop BC rich Single Pickup Iron Bird in a relic fashion with the Spaceface design and it plays like a dream but the comments that get made about my playing because of that guitar are amazing, but when i play my epiphone no one says anything.
Gear:
Guitars:
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic
my issue with them is that lower end ones are just junky guitars that manage to get sold only because they look cool. i have no issues with the players themselves, just with the fact they were suckered into buying a lousy guitar that looked cool when the could have bought something better for their money
I have 2 issues with (most) B.C. Rich guitars.

1. They're too pointy and look too br00talz to be taken seriously in anything other than death metal (or harder).
2. The cheap ones are rather crappy in terms of build quality.

The more expensive B.C. Rich guitars play awesomely and sound good, but they're still pointy as hell. Try getting in a jazz band with a guitar like that...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I just don't like them due to feature issues. There are just some things I prefer in a guitar and they are harder to get in higher end models by them. The shapes are interesting but I agree with the comment that Slipknot kind of killed the brand with all the teens wanting them to be "metal." Which is also odd as Mick Thompson now plays ibanez. Just as stated my personal opinion doesn't stem from a bad rep, they just don't make something for me in upper price ranges. If I decide to get a guitar with those features then I'll look at them more closely.
Quote by PsiGuy60
I have 2 issues with (most) B.C. Rich guitars.

1. They're too pointy and look too br00talz to be taken seriously in anything other than death metal (or harder).
2. The cheap ones are rather crappy in terms of build quality.

The more expensive B.C. Rich guitars play awesomely and sound good, but they're still pointy as hell. Try getting in a jazz band with a guitar like that...

I actually have a poseidon blue frankencaster for jazz and blues.
Gear:
Guitars:
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic
I always loved BC Rich guitars. Necks don't fit my hand. I can't stand the way they play. I've owned a couple,still own one,but I could never bond with them. the one I own now is a 80's made flip flop blue/purple Gunslinger that looks so cool. I probably haven't touched it in over 5 years because of the way the neck feels.

I will agree with the other posts that their cheap guitar are probably the worst name brand cheapy guitars out there. Sharp frets,plywood bodies and crap electronics. Doesn't help that every used BC Rich,because of the sharp edges,are always dinged up and those giant modern head stocks seem to be broken a lot.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
because they need something else to hate on besides Dean and Squier.

cheap BCR's do tend to be crappy but i've owned a couple of higher end ones that have been great.
the pre 2000 Warbeasts are very well made for a budget guitar but my lord did they require some setup.

http://www.samash.com/p/BC%20Rich_PXMGS%20Mockingbird%20Pro%20X%20Electric%20Guitar_-49951585

LOVERLY!
Gear:
Guitars:
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic
Last edited by MidnightReaper at Apr 20, 2011,
it's because people think that BC rich only make those silly pointy guitars, because people are ignorant and stupid.

you have to put up with it no matter what brand of guitar you use, generally. there are a lot of shallow brand-driven individuals around. although i can see that BC rich get the most of the abuse from people like that.

most the people who bash BC rich are also the kind of people who hate on other guitarists for playing chords
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Most people that dis the guitars have never touched one in their life.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Basically, agathis body woods on guitars worth up to £500 or $800. They come with muddy, bland pickups. cheapo harware. Unbalanced bodies due to the strap button locations, poor fret jobs making them poor guitars to play, very uncomfortable and generally look riduculous, expecially ones with cheesy graphics on them and plasticy finsihes.

They are VERY overpriced. You are buying a body shape with Bc Rich, not a quality instrument. Though their higher end instruments are good as you would expect with any brand, their cheap ones are some of the worst and most overpriced guitars you can buy in my opinion

Its not 2006 anymore..
BC Rich as of late have renovated there line up under new ownership they make some great value guitars atm.
Sure the pointy shapes wont be for everyone. They arent for me but i find there superstrat quite models to be quite a decent deal in this climate.
Yeah back before the got bought out you where looking at a ridiculous price for an agathis body in a fancy shape but to say that now is just being ignorant tbh...
The cheapest of the cheap ones still suck granted but there mid range is pretty boss these days..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Apr 20, 2011,
In the late 90's and early 2000's when metal wasn't "mainstream" enough, their quality suffered due to lack of sales. All their guitars had the same features, just different shapes. The ones I tried weren't very well built.

Now, they're coming out of that phase and have a pretty wide range of new guitars. Most people stick to their old opinions, though. I haven't tried a BC Rich since 2004, so I can't comment on the quality of the more recent models.
Nothing is wrong with them, I own a bronze warlock which I overhauled(my first guitar). I love it, I threw some emgs in there and its great. If you know a bit about setup and working with guitars, they can be great guitars, I love mine. Just bought an ironbird for 180, probably going to be refinished in ferrari red and hopefully receive some blackouts...

They way I see it, cheap guitars are the holy grail for me, because after replacing hardware, refinishing, etc. I end up with a guitar that is as good as many 600 dollar guitars. But I do understand that a lot of people don't lke modding their guitars, so my opinion is biased.

PS:I can't stand the widow headstock....alwways buy the six in a line.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Last edited by BreeBreeMiikey at Apr 20, 2011,
why would anyone make fun of you for playing this b.c. rich????

I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
They are absolutely GASTLING.
They are soo ugly, cheap and absolutely fence-wood quality.
Tried one of the new Gunslingers and the neck on that was tremendous.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Quote by Dennis_SG
They are absolutely GASTLING.
They are soo ugly, cheap and absolutely fence-wood quality.

Sanded down a gibson les paul for a friend...had so much wood filler or something like it on the body, the flamed maple top was beautiful, but the back side made me cringe...also had to level the frets for him. If only we all knew the quality we got for what we pay sometimes...luck of the draw I guess.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by sashki
In the late 90's and early 2000's when metal wasn't "mainstream" enough, their quality suffered due to lack of sales. All their guitars had the same features, just different shapes. The ones I tried weren't very well built.

Now, they're coming out of that phase and have a pretty wide range of new guitars. Most people stick to their old opinions, though. I haven't tried a BC Rich since 2004, so I can't comment on the quality of the more recent models.

Actually nu metal was pretty mainstream back then..

With bands like slipknot and others endorsing bc rich they where pretty popular at one point its just there instruments where tremendously overpriced etc.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Its not 2006 anymore..
BC Rich as of late have renovated there line up under new ownership they make some great value guitars atm.
Sure the pointy shapes wont be for everyone. They arent for me but i find there superstrat quite models to be quite a decent deal in this climate.
Yeah back before the got bought out you where looking at a ridiculous price for an agathis body in a fancy shape but to say that now is just being ignorant tbh...
The cheapest of the cheap ones still suck granted but there mid range is pretty boss these days..

I am aware of the BC Rich Asassin being a superstrat shape, but a vast majority of their designs are just ugly in my opinion. I don't have to like everything do I?

I'm not saying they're all terrible by any means or that really would be ignorant.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 20, 2011,
A bc rich bronze is not 300 quid..
You can get a gunslinger retro for like 349 atm
Awesome value guitars for guys that like 80s stuff.
I know, i checked up and they aren't anymore. My bad
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
Sanded down a gibson les paul for a friend...had so much wood filler or something like it on the body, the flamed maple top was beautiful, but the back side made me cringe...also had to level the frets for him. If only we all knew the quality we got for what we pay sometimes...luck of the draw I guess.

All i gotta say is that Gibson wouldnt be one of the biggest guitar companies if they would produce cr4p.

Millions of guitarists cant be wrong,

If you play death metal get a a BCR for everything else get a Gibson.
They look almost cartoony in thier quest to be Heavy Metal. To me I think it looks cooler when a guitarist plays the most un-Metal looking guitar in a Metal setting. For example; Randy Rhoads' cream color Les Paul.
Quote by Goat Head Stew
They look almost cartoony in thier quest to be Heavy Metal. To me I think it looks cooler when a guitarist plays the most un-Metal looking guitar in a Metal setting. For example; Randy Rhoads' cream color Les Paul.

I think les pauls look very metal, although that might be because I don't listen to much metal other than thrash, power, nwobhm and prog. I can't stand any of that heavy, super downtuned stuff where those ridiculous pointy things are more commonly used. Although I think the mockingbird looks nice.
Quote by Dennis_SG
All i gotta say is that Gibson wouldnt be one of the biggest guitar companies if they would produce cr4p.

Millions of guitarists cant be wrong,

If you play death metal get a a BCR for everything else get a Gibson.

Plenty of other metal bands use BCR's, and there are plenty of people who'd take things easily over Gibson for everything else.

People seem to forget BCR makes some killer non-pointy guitars too.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
What people are dissing... agathis junk such as these that used to be quite expensive for what you got...

Then some company buys out bc rich and there mid range starts to look like this

yet naturally alot of the morons of the idiots of the UG electric guitar section still see the first set of guitars i posted when they hear the name...
Also bc rich still do the pointy thing but then they wouldnt really be BCR if they didnt then would they?
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Apr 20, 2011,
The ironbird is a decent pointy shape, along with the warlock. And the kerry king v warbeast lookin thing...the virgo, beast, and some of the others are hideous tho.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
the stupidest thing ive done in a while was trade off a bcr mockingbird nato neckthru body with rockford pups for a damm dirtbike for my kid. i would love to have another bcr mocking bird neckthru. nato wood or not. i dont hate bcr but it does seem that every pawn shop in the united states (im a truck driver i ve been to a bunch of em) all have a black beat up cheap a$$ed warlock hanging on the wall all covered in dust. always a bronze series warlock.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Page 1 of 2