Hey guys

I'm a huge fan of Yngwie Malmsteen, and I'm currently looking... for a stratocaster : )

So I'm wondering if the signature model is worth the cash? It's like 1700$ new and 1300-1500 used. It's alot of hard earned cash for me and my question is -

Is that guitar worth it?

Not that I'm some kind of a kidfanboy who wants to play and have exactly the same stuff like mr Yngwie. I've got my own style already, but this guitar is just so beautiful, and those stock dimarzio pickups are a safe bet for a great sound.

I've tried playing my friends scalloped ESP, it actually felt really good to me. I gotta say I'm pretty excited about an idea of having that good, professional guitar after 3 years of playing on a cheap Ibanez.

So what do you think guys - is this guitar worth spending that much money?
No, it isn't. Signature models are never worth it. Buy something non-signature and spice it up with some own ideas. A stratocaster with an OFR, and DiMarzio pickups? EMG? Maybe change the neck for something more radical?
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
If you want a quality, scalloped-fretted single-coil guitar, then definitely go for it. Don't buy into the whole "signature models are never worth it" thing. There are definitely some really great signature models, and the Yngwie model is one of the better ones, especially in its price range.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, it isn't. Signature models are never worth it. Buy something non-signature and spice it up with some own ideas. A stratocaster with an OFR, and DiMarzio pickups? EMG? Maybe change the neck for something more radical?

i will disagree with this statement. this is just a loaded question in general. all that matters is if it is worth it to you. it doesnt seem like it is such a good idea already from the mere fact that you are pretty iffy on it. what i would try to do is find the main things that you want on your guitar (ie scalloped necks, white, certain pickups etc). is there anything else out there like that esp, if not and this makes the best sense then go for it. the nice thing with buy a used one is that you wont have to take the massive hit of depriciation as it already took that.

so i would say if it looks great buy a used one! good luck
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
It's one of the cheaper signature guitars that I have seen, but I think you'd be better off just getting an american standard strat or something.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by Kalo Hanaka

I have the Paul Allendar sig from PRS and I love it. It has everything I could want out of a guitar. Granted, it was also like $700 and is cheaper than most PRS models anyways. My friend's dad owns a Clapton sig and it sounds great and feels nice to play.

I think it depends on two factors: 1. does it have all the features you want? This is important because honestly you could probably buy a $500 strat and just customize it to be the same for a few hundred bucks less. and 2. is it worth it to you? Sure, a $2000 Eric Clapton stratocaster seems like a ridiculously bad idea to some people. But my friend's dad loves the thing and says it's one of the best decisions he's ever made(well guitar related anyways). If you think it's a good idea then buy it. Not all sigs are crap although most are admittedly overpriced.
Quote by cptcomet
It's one of the cheaper signature guitars that I have seen, but I think you'd be better off just getting an american standard strat or something.

THIS^^^ You can do upgrades to it later on and still save lots of dough.....Plus, There is nothing wrong with an American Standard..
If you are looking for a scalloped neck and dont know how to do it yourself or can't get someone to do it for you for cheap, I would get the signature if thats why you are getting it. If you dont really care about the neck, I'd go with an American Strat and just put the pickups in it yourself, there is a $700 price gap, so if you can customize for less than that, it would be worth getting the American, but if not, or you just want the name, I'd get the Malmsteen.
Quote by dopelope
THIS^^^ You can do upgrades to it later on and still save lots of dough.....Plus, There is nothing wrong with an American Standard..

...but the American Standard doesn't come with a scalloped fingerboard so if he wants that then he should go for the Signature model
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

I'd buy a good used US strat and scallop it myself. I did my Jackson (above the 12th only) It's pretty easy, just be patient (there is a sticky how to do it). Swap pups if you really need to. Same as the sig for half the price.
I loved the Malmsteem Strat I played, the neck is unbelievable.

If you play it and really like it and can afford it, then yes its worth it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
if yo want to be authentic then get the malmsteen. if you don't know what you are doing it's not that hard to screw up a neck trying to scallop it. the pickups will cost a fair bit as well so you might as well get the sig. in many cases invloving strats or les pauls i would agree with those who say skip the sig model but not in this case. since it's not stupid expensive i say go for it.
Malmsteen Strats are one of the very few signature guitars that I deem worth it.
Getting a high-end Strat, getting the frets scalloped professionally, and dropping in new pickups will set you back ever-so-slightly more than just buying the Malmsteen strat (or at least, that's what I've found).
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My mates dad has two of them. They're very good guitars if you like scalloped frets. Personally, I don't like them, but the tone is amazing.
Quote by Kalo Hanaka

You need to play the Thurston Moore Jazzmaster then, that thing is amazing and well worth the price.

On topic: I don't know, i played one for 30 minutes at a music shop, it sounded great but you could get similiar results with an American standard Strat. The scalloped fretboard didn't feel that much different to regular really, just a little bit awkward at first. I'd say try it out and decide for yourself.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

I'm quite sure it would cost more to get an American Standard, replace the pickups and have a luthier scallop the neck than to buy the Malmsteen model. Also, if you prefer a rosewood fretboard, the fretboard on a new American Standard is very thin, and some luthiers I've spoken to would be very hesitant to scallop it at all.

There are quite a few signature Strats that I think just aren't worth the money (their often very similar to Standard models with the artist's choice of pickups and colours), but the Malmsteen Strat isn't one of them (nor are the Eric Johnson models). I thought the neck was fantastic, and the sound was great too.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I don't agree with people saying that signature models aren't worth it. They can be awesome if they have some specs that you really want and can't find anywhere else - it depends on the player. Personally I wouldn't mind playing a signature guitar either - I am me, and I want to be me, not the guitarist whose signature guitar I'm playing; but I am me when I'm playing whatever guitar I feel comfortable with.

I hope that makes sense.

The YJM-sig has scalloped fretboard, which makes it quite unique - no regular production model has it (the Blackmore sig has it though). It also has Yngwie's pickups. The scalloped fretboard makes it feel very different from other guitars - some like it, some don't. Can take some time to get used depending on how light of a touch you have when fretting (to much pressure will make a chord or note sound out of tune). You have to try it first.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
If you want the scallops, the pickups, and the strat, all put together buy master hands and without any variance or worry about quality, then yes.

This guitar is very, very awesome.
This is a fantastic guitar. Whoever says "signature models are crap" obviously are biased in some way against signature models. I like how you mentioned you aren't buying it out of fanboy-ism though as that is not the correct mindset to have when buying a guitar. All that being said, the Mamsteen Strat is a fantastic guitar and has unique features to it that make it something you pretty much have to buy if you want them (especially the scalloped neck). I personally preferred the olders ones (pre-2007 I believe) that had the shallower scallops. I also prefer the sound of the Dimarzio pickups vs. the Seymour Duncan "YJM" versions in the newer guitars. The quality of the craftsmanship is outstanding, the large headstock is badass, and besides the scalloped neck it basically looks like a regular strat, which is great, because unlike owning many other signature model guitars you won't end up looking like a guitar hero wannabe. Like if you are playing a JEM and JS1000, you see them and right away think Steve Vai and Joe Satriani; but, when you strap on your Yngwie model, it looks like a regular strat. Anyways, I say go for it. If you like having a scalloped neck and want a quality singe coil guitar (albeit stacked single coils!) then this is about the best choice possible. If I were you I'd get an older used one on ebay. They often go for about $1000-1200 and many of them look practically band new. If you get one, post some pics! -Mike from WI
Quote by Vendetta V
if you want you can send it to me for scalloping but im in Armenia meaning the shpiping will be a lot. the scalloping it self would cost you about 70-90 bux tho...

That's an awesome price for the work, it might easily justify the shipping cost! Remember, you don't have to ship the whole guitar, just the neck. When I did my scalloping, it took me about 6 hours. Mine are deeper than a Malmsteen, but I didnt spend enough time with the final finishing. (I wanted to try it!) I just used hand files, I dont trust myself with power. I'm sure my second try would be somewhat faster, but even at 4 hours, thats only $20/hr, which is way less than an american luthier will want.
I loved every Malmsteen I tried. In my opinion it is one of the better signature models availble.

However, you could also try Warmoth. You can set the specs to be pretty much identical and you can add your own little customizations (22 frets?, etc). It would also end up being slightly cheaper.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
people who bash signature models don't seem to understand the basics of logic:

signature models which are just the same as a regular model with different pickups that are readily available for less than the extra amount of money that you pay for the signature model aren't worth it. the same applies to signature models with fancy finishes and things where that's the only difference, too.

this is not one of those sort of signature guitars, though, because there's actually something substancially different about it, and you won't be saving any money just buying a regular strat and modding it to these specifications, unless you're compromising on the quality by buying a lower end strat that just won't be as good no matter what you do to it
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
There is not a fender on earth that is worth @$1500 new, sorry they just arn't. If you realy like his tone/guitar buy a Highway one and mod it. you'll have basicly the same guitar for only about $900 new( still way over priced for a Fender)
Quote by Robbgnarly
There is not a fender on earth that is worth @$1500 new, sorry they just arn't. If you realy like his tone/guitar buy a Highway one and mod it. you'll have basicly the same guitar for only about $900 new( still way over priced for a Fender)

if you seriously think the malmsteen strat and the highway one are the same thing, well...
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube
if you seriously think the malmsteen strat and the highway one are the same thing, well...

I know they are not the same, but I personaly would mod a similar guitar and save a wad of cash.
Guys I've got one more important question

Because I used to play metal alot - perhaps some day I will be changing one pickup to dimarzio SuperDistortion.

But those YJM 3 pickups are "stacked" - what does that mean? Will they be able to work together with that SuperDist pickup?

That way I'd be able to play smooth on two singles and get some heavy tones on that third, right?
Last edited by Szneka at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
I know they are not the same, but I personaly would mod a similar guitar and save a wad of cash.

sometimes saving a wad of cash is a false economy - it costs a lot to get a fretboard scalloped unless you can do it yourself, and you could end up spending just as much money modding an inferior guitar as you would just getting something better in the first place. basically, if you've got $1500 to spend, and specifically want strat with a scalloped fretboard, even if you think yngwie malmsteen is a worthless tub of lard, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to compromise and buy a lower end strat and mod it if it's just not gonna be as good.

also, you're allowed to dislike fender because obviously they aren't for everyone, but you ought to be aware that just because you don't like them and personally wouldn't pay even as much as $900 for one, doesn't mean they are overpriced.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube
- it costs a lot to get a fretboard scalloped unless you can do it yourself,

Scalloping does not require any special knowledge and only average manual skills, but perhaps greater than average patience. I would cautiously encourage most people to do it themselves. The worst problem is the people who shouldn't do it have no caution of their own, so my addtional caution is discarded! Then my caution discourages people who are already cautious, but that caution is the personal characteristic that will most likely produce a nice looking scallop job.

By the way, ugly scallops still work, but that's no excuse for doing it wrong.
Quote by Robbgnarly

your knowledge of Fender guitars is truly underwhelming. i'm pretty sure a custon shop fender would be a steal at $1500. i'll also point out that high end fenders are cheaper than most other companies. not a fender fan, well that's fine but before you give advice make sure you have the background to dispense it.
Flip a coin. Heads you get the Malmsteen sig. Tails you get an American Standard Strat and hook it up yourself.
i hope all of you realise that the materials involved are higher and better quality than the standard strat materials. improving the overall sound. you can change out everything but once you get down to the body and neck, you basically are in the pit for buying a better, equal quality neck or body that will cost the same or quite a bit more than the signature. No point. pickup/hardwire change wont magicly make it a yjm strat.
So glad this thread isn't too old.

I've never played this guitar, but I want to own a strat, however I want one that I can use to shred with a nice metal sound which those stacked coils would surely provide.

Someone said earlier in this thread that you shouldn't buy such an expensive guitar if you haven't tried it. I'm thinking of buying one used on eBay. Perhaps a few months or years down the line I will sell it back on eBay for a similar price I bought it for. Or perhaps I will fall in love with the guitar and keep it. Win win or so stupid?
holy necrobump
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee