Hey all.

I recently bought a pair of Roland Ds-5 studio monitors.

the input on these are analog (1/4 or XLR) and digital (optical, coaxial, or XLR)

I use a Br-800 to record, and also audio software from a computer.

now then, I tried plugging the RCA output on the Br-800 to the monitors digital coaxial input, but no sound played.

can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, and maybe give me an idea on how to set up these monitors most effectively? (i need to run the br-800 and my computer from them, and maybe an auxiliary

thanks!
If I remember correctly (someone stop me if I'm wrong), the output on your BR-800 is an analog output. You're either going to need to in via XLR or the 1/4 jack. You'll prob need some adapters.

I could be completely wrong on this one, but thats the only thing I could think of.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
You are going to need RCA to 1/4" TR unbalanced cables, there is no "digital" output from the BR800. You can't use the XLR inputs on the DS-5 monitors since the BR 800 has only "unbalanced" output. The DS-5's 1/4" input will auto switch between Balanced (TRS) and Unbalanced (TR).

Do not use the PHONES 1/4" output to connect to the speaker inputs.
^ Exactly.

Though the connectors for the RCA out on the interface look *just* like the digital inputs on the monitors (aka "S/PDIF"), they are not the same. At all. RCA is analog, and S/PDIF is digital.

Connecting one to the other will NOT work.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
ahh thanks guys. anyone know a good way to hook them up to my comp and recorder at the same time? with either a switch or something like that? what do you use?
Quote by MartialLawband
ahh thanks guys. anyone know a good way to hook them up to my comp and recorder at the same time? with either a switch or something like that? what do you use?

You probably won't like my answer but here it goes:

I run everything through a Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer and just leave the powered studio monitors on the aux out 3&4 channel of the mixer so I can send whatever channels I want to them.

This is an expensive solution.