Ok, so I'm looking to get a new amplifier. And being as how I have no soldering experience and don't have the mental apttitude to really understand what making changes to existing schematics does to the sound I figured I would put this out there for any experienced builder: My dream amplifier: I'm looking for a two channel tube amp, each with it's own 5 band eq. I'm not interested in a reverb tank, or chorus, or an effects line.

What I am looking for is the first amp channel to be as identical to the classic Sunn Model T as possible, and the second amp channel to be a very heavy gain channel (ie 5150II, engl, hughs and kettner, or bogner). I'm thinking of a 100 watt power setup, but have it adjustable similar to how the Mesa Mark IV and V are. Also a foot switch to change between channels.

All that being said, does this even seem possible and if so does anyone feel like taking on the challenge? Thanks for the help, and guidance.
Gear:
PRS SE Custom 22
Ibanez RG3EX1
Gibson Gary Moore BFG
1970s ASPEN Les Paul clone
Epiphone Annihilation V
Epiphone Robb Flynn Baritone V
Jackson Dominion Pro
-
Line 6 Vetta 2
Peavey 6534+
Big Crunch One Knob
Hovercraft Dwarvenaut 20
its very possible. but costly, quite big and requires a lot of time and patience.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I dunno why you'd need a five band eq but that's not gonna work unless it's an active eq.

so you'd only want an active eq network for each channel?

tube or solid state?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
It will be very expensive... I can look into. It if you want. How much are you willing to spend.
Certainly possible. Will be a nice challenge...I've been working on a design for a valve hi-fi amp recently (bahaha, not been on these forums for a couple of years!) the EQ will be the hardest part of it to get right and to be honest, I would recommend against it being in the amp. If you're looking for a valve amp, you want to keep solid state out of the signal line as much as possible, so keep a passive bass/mid/treble EQ on the amp and use a different EQ beforehand if you need it.

Also the 2 sounds you've listed would require separate power amp stages as the characteristics of the power tubes in both cases would have to be massively different. What you would end up with is 2 amps in one unit, that the kinda thing you're after?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Yep, I'm looking for it to be a valve amp. I didn't know about the complexity with having the five band eq so the passive bass/mid/treble eq sounds like a good idea (so long as I can still have one for each of the channels).

mcw00t: that's basically the idea, two amps in one unit, foot switch to go between the two. But the one thing I noticed I might not have been clear on is my reference to the power being adjustable similar to the Mark IV and V. I'm thinking a switch for either full 100 watt power, 50 watt power, or 15 watt power.

Now all that being said, price isn't a huge issue. I'm not looking to spend 5k-7k by any means but something put together up to 3k is doable for me. But like I said I'm flexable. My intention is to have a unit with these two great amps in one, but I with this kind of money being spend I don't want something that's as plain jane looking as a fender or marshall amp. I really like the look of the Red Iron Amps, and the Hughes and Kettner (plexi glass fronts), just something a little different. Also, I know that the modern high gain amps have a presence knob, just wondering what people's thoughts would be on either adding one to the Model T channel vs, not installing one on the High Gain Channel?
Gear:
PRS SE Custom 22
Ibanez RG3EX1
Gibson Gary Moore BFG
1970s ASPEN Les Paul clone
Epiphone Annihilation V
Epiphone Robb Flynn Baritone V
Jackson Dominion Pro
-
Line 6 Vetta 2
Peavey 6534+
Big Crunch One Knob
Hovercraft Dwarvenaut 20
Last edited by DaisXiled at Apr 21, 2011,
The Sun and another higher gain amp could be incorporated into each other given the right set up. The Sun amp has a UL output section, but that can be overcome.

I'll look into the amps and see if I can come up with something to do what you want.