I recently installed an emg 85 in my dean and it sounds awesome when I'm playing metal but when I go to do my cleans it sounds gritty and some what distorted almost like the sounds not coming all the way through. I'm just wondering if this is normal for an emg.
I may be completely off the wrong foot here, but this seems to be a recurring problem (the downside, if you will) with actives. I guess they have such a high output, it kind of forces you to roll off the volume a bit.
REGGIE
Mines super clean and smooth *shrugs*.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
The only way I could get real good cleans when I had EMG's was to roll back the volume
the battery is going is it?
Originally Posted by jazar94
Oh God, anal masturbation with a banana.
Wait...
**** YEAH! ANAL MASTURBATION WITH A BANANA!

Quote by Silent Murder
This man knows his cleaning essentials.

It'll smell nice afterwards too
Yes like others have said, the volume knob is your friend. Its normal for cleans to sound this way with high output pick ups like EMG actives.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
i disagree 100% about the volume thing... I NEVER turn my volume down at all, i leave it cranked at 10. And ALL of my emg sets have sounded like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aysf5ujnulk

My guitar volume is almost always at max. I have EMG's 81/85.
Gets perfect cleans, through a tube amp!
My amp(1977 Ampeg VT-40) has a switch that can do 0dB, -6dB and -9dB to compensate for active pickups. I have mine set at -9dB.
..I was watching my death.
^i think you guys are probably forgetting that different amps are... you know... different

some amps will be able to handle the extra output of active pickups, others will not. if you're getting clipping from actives on the clean channel, rolling back the volume should clean it up. or you could try using the "lo" input if your amp has "hi" and "lo" inputs.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Yeah, cleans are beautiful fully cranked with EMGs.
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
I have a SS amp and i need to roll back that volume, but its sounds loverly when you do.
Gear:
Guitars:
1. Epiphone Custom Shop Explorer Apparition
2. BC Rich Iron Bird 2003 LTD Spaceface
3. Gould KK Series LTD Reaper 600
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic
Check the gain settings on your amp, I dunno....

Could be your pots or wiring. I'd just take it to a shop.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by sancho_panza1
Check the battery of your pickups. The volume has nothing to do. Low voltage will impact on the sound.

This thread is 6 years old man.
"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592