'Sup GG&A,

So, just yesterday the mailman carried with him a brand new TC Electronics G-Major 2, just for me! I have to say, it's one damn banging FX processor - everything sounds awesome, and it's sooooo tweakable that my head's spinning a little!

However, I don't own a MIDI controller, and after a couple of hours of playing around with my new toy, I quickly realized that I really need one in order to get the most out of using the G-Major.

So, my question: How much difference is there between different MIDI controllers? Aside from the obvious ones like how well it's built, what it's made out of etc etc?

It's just that there seem to be controllers out there that cost like 100€ and ones that cost about 1000€. Given that I'm a total noob when it comes to MIDI, would a cheapie like this suit me: http://www.thomann.de/fi/behringer_fcb_1010.htm I know all about behringer and how many people bitch about anything that has their logo on it, but I'm pretty careful with my stuff and rarely break anything.

If for some reason the Behringer is a total no-no, would any of these do the trick? http://www.thomann.de/fi/rocktron_midi_mate.htm http://www.thomann.de/fi/g_lab_gsc.htm http://www.thomann.de/fi/tech_21_midi_moose.htm

Any input is appreciated!
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
The Behringer is actually a great unit (unlike most of their other stuff). I used on with my Gmajor and loved it. It's easy to setup, you've got the stompbox mode, dual expression pedals, etc. Plus you can find them really cheap. Under $100 USD if you look on the used market.
Quote by eyebanez333
The Behringer is actually a great unit (unlike most of their other stuff). I used on with my Gmajor and loved it. It's easy to setup, you've got the stompbox mode, dual expression pedals, etc. Plus you can find them really cheap. Under $100 USD if you look on the used market.

Thanks for the reply, man! I think I'll get me one of those, then <:

However, I did some research on my own, and it seems that the Behringer only supports 2 CC's at once. Whereas this is more than some other pedals - many seemed to only support one - some of the more expensive ones could support much more. Will this limit the controller by a lot?

I'd mainly use the controller for changing programs on the G-major and - if I can make it work without unreasonable efforts- also changing the channel on my preamp. Both at the same time, that's the big idea I have in mind. At the moment my preamp is the one on my Bugera 6262-212, as my ENGL E530 broke down like an hour after I got it. It's fine though, as the Bugera has a series FX loop, so the G-Major is good friends with it.

However, I'm wanting to have the ENGL fixed, as I foresee a problem with using the G-Major for channel switching with the Bugera, as the Bugera's footswitch seems to be connected with some strange, small plug with 5 pins - not a midi plug, though.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Thanks for the reply, man! I think I'll get me one of those, then <:

However, I did some research on my own, and it seems that the Behringer only supports 2 CC's at once. Whereas this is more than some other pedals - many seemed to only support one - some of the more expensive ones could support much more. Will this limit the controller by a lot?

I'd mainly use the controller for changing programs on the G-major and - if I can make it work without unreasonable efforts- also changing the channel on my preamp. Both at the same time, that's the big idea I have in mind. At the moment my preamp is the one on my Bugera 6262-212, as my ENGL E530 broke down like an hour after I got it. It's fine though, as the Bugera has a series FX loop, so the G-Major is good friends with it.

However, I'm wanting to have the ENGL fixed, as I foresee a problem with using the G-Major for channel switching with the Bugera, as the Bugera's footswitch seems to be connected with some strange, small plug with 5 pins - not a midi plug, though.

I never felt limited by the Behringer...plus it was nice having dual expression pedals and stompbox-like control of my patches. I always had the right pedal setup to control volume, and the left controlled the effect parameter.

As for the channel switching....it can be done via a custom cable. I used the Gmajor to change channels on my XXX which has the same kind of connector for the footswitch. FJA mods sells them, but I'm not sure if he ships internationally or not.
Quote by eyebanez333
I never felt limited by the Behringer...plus it was nice having dual expression pedals and stompbox-like control of my patches. I always had the right pedal setup to control volume, and the left controlled the effect parameter.

As for the channel switching....it can be done via a custom cable. I used the Gmajor to change channels on my XXX which has the same kind of connector for the footswitch. FJA mods sells them, but I'm not sure if he ships internationally or not.

Ok, thanks again, you've been a ton of help!
Gear:

Ashton AG200,